Author Topic: Going to a Shoot on a motorcycle  (Read 7065 times)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 281
Going to a Shoot on a motorcycle
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
With the cost of gasoline these days I'm seriously thinking of taking my motorcycle to Shoots especially those Shoots that are in other states. The biggest issue is how to transport my long guns. Probably one of the best ways to do this is to tow a small trailer behind the bike.

Instead of towing a trailer, I have this goofy idea to build a plywood box and possibly cover it with leather. Please open the following link for a drawing (not to scale) of this: 

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/misc/100_0497.jpg 

I would have to remove the passenger backrest from my tour-pak. This case would attach to the luggage rack on the tour-pak and also the passenger grip-rails by the seat. One of my big concerns is the overhang (Dimension "B"). It would be nice to be able to take my Sharps but that would be a 20" overhang and that may be too much. If I used an 1892 Takedown Winchester and my Coach Gun the overhang is approx. 10". That might be manageable. If I were to pursue this, I would make a mock-up/prototype and do some serious testing before going on the open road.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I did check with the State Highway Patrols in the states I'd be going through and it looks like this type of a rig would be OK.

As I said, a trailer is probably the best way to go. There would be plenty of room for camping gear also. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Going to a Shoot on a motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:58:53 AM »
One is kind of vulnerable on a motorcycle. I don't feel very confortable hauling guns if anything goes wrong.

Have you considered a diesel engined car? They can do better mpg than most motorcycles.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »
We joke all the time, at matches, about writing a stage where we can shoot from our motorcycles!!! 

I think a trailer would be a good way to go for this project.  That way, the guns are protected and you will not be trapped in any position in the even of a rapid get-off.  Seems like everyone I know who has been against putting trailers on their bikes eventually come around to the idea when their riding gets ever more serious.

There are no diesel cars that get the milage of a well-set-up motorcycle.  I ride a big H-D and it gets 50 mpg regularly with brisk riding.  I've never been inclined to conserve gas when riding it, but suspect it would get closer to 60 mpg if ridden conservatively.

Anywho, ride safe no matter what you decide.  Just make your plan with the worst case scenario in mind.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:43:04 AM »

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:41 AM »
There are no diesel cars that get the milage of a well-set-up motorcycle.  I ride a big H-D and it gets 50 mpg regularly with brisk riding.  I've never been inclined to conserve gas when riding it, but suspect it would get closer to 60 mpg if ridden conservatively.

60 mpg is hard to beat, but the new 2000 cc diesel cars can make around 45,5 mpg (at least at 55mph)

I'm not from the US, in my country diesel is cheaper than gasoline. 

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• Top Active Citizen
  • ~Aggravator Emeritus~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »
Be careful with getting too top heavy, and I echo August's concerns about having to rapidly dismount from the bike.
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »
Well, I'm no expert, but I do have 150,000 on my current bike('82 R-100 BMW) and I have been driving bikes for 36 years, and I used to be a professional bike mechanic years ago. I would go with the trailer, as that rig will raise your COG enough to affect handling. Way back when, when I used to do some of the work on San Jose P.D.'s bikes, just the radios in the sidebags would mess up the handling if not mounted exactly right. IF I were to start using my bike for going to shoots I wuld make some sort of scabbards to get the long guns lower. I personally don't even like the bags mounted on the luggage rack, too high. I used to pull a trailer with my beemer, still have the hitch and am thinking of doing it again. It gives you lots more room, down low, and even makes the bike work better in the rain, pulls the rear end and keeps it from slipping in the rain so much. Also takes some of the weight off the rear tire. Just have to be more careful when braking hard with a trailer, longer stopping distances and jack knifing being the main concerns.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
I use a lightweight trailer I built to haul my shooting stuff behind the Suzuki S83.  That's easy enough. By using a hardside gun case security locked to the trailer (small cable) I can take my eyes off it to go into a store, etc.

Shooting stuff is easy to haul.  Now fishing stuff, including the kayak, gets a little more challenging (but works out fine)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/IMG_1229_1.jpg
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »
What's next, AJ, a camper?  ;D  That looks great.  The kind of thing that makes me wave to a total stranger on the road.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
I have a pop up camping trailer, that I pull behind my Harley. I have thought about putting the guns in the basement storage area, and the gun cart on top. Now all I would have to do is get the wife to hold my hat on my head. I don't think the stampede strings will keep it on. ;D
BSJ

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »
My Honda CRX DX would get 44 mpg with the AC on and running 80 mph.  That wasn't the super energy efficient model either. ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »

Evenin' All,

I have never ridden interstate to a shoot, but I have ridden to a few shoots in my home state.  I made a gun cart with lawnmower wheels that breaks down and fits in my tour pack.  It is a bunch of 2x2's, cedar planking and a bunch of carriage bolts and wing nuts!  Then the pistols and side x side fit in the saddlebags keeping the CG low as I can.  Unfortunately the 73 has to sit in a soft case WRAPPED/hidden in a oilskin duster on the passenger seat behind me.  I called the local PD and they said that as long as it was unloaded, it is OK in the zip up case.  The officer asked me "Why do you want to ride a motorcycle"?  Pretty stupid question eh?  He obviously does not ride.

Kind Regards,

Panhead

PS Someday I WILL ride my Panhead to a shoot!!     

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:37 PM »
Evenin' All,

I have never ridden interstate to a shoot, but I have ridden to a few shoots in my home state.  I made a gun cart with lawnmower wheels that breaks down and fits in my tour pack.  It is a bunch of 2x2's, cedar planking and a bunch of carriage bolts and wing nuts!  Then the pistols and side x side fit in the saddlebags keeping the CG low as I can.  Unfortunately the 73 has to sit in a soft case WRAPPED/hidden in a oilskin duster on the passenger seat behind me.  I called the local PD and they said that as long as it was unloaded, it is OK in the zip up case.  The officer asked me "Why do you want to ride a motorcycle"?  Pretty stupid question eh?  He obviously does not ride.

Kind Regards,

Panhead

PS Someday I WILL ride my Panhead to a shoot!!     

ya just gotta tell 'em "It's a bike thing" ;)  Somethin' about riding to a shoot, enjoyin' the day at the range with pards, then riding home on the bike.  Makes a Sunday a great day ;)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 09:53:55 PM »
Many thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. Its looking more and more like a small trailer behind the bike is a good way to go. I've been riding since 1957 and think nothing of doing a a 4-5 thousand mile trip on the bike. I have driven just about everything including trikes and side-car rigs but never hauled a trailer. I'm going to do some serious research on bike trailers. Please keep the input coming.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Compass Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »
I been going through the same question.  I have an 87 BMW K100RS. I would go the trailer way but I can buy a lot of diesel for my pickup for the price of the stinking hitch.

PS: Our 2006 VW Jetta Diesel gets 52mph doing 70mph running down the interstate. It gets 42mpg on country roads.
Plus it's much more comfortable then any little hybred that gets close to the same MPG.  My BMW gets 42 on country roads.
SASS 79000

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »
When I was wild and crazy kid  ::)
I used to tote my Surfboard on a Trailer behind my bike ( Yamaha XT 500 )
I made the trailer from a old Alum extention Ladder I U-bolted an axle to...

I guess people though I was NUTS ( a photo of me on the way to the beach made the newspaper)
but hell it worked , cops never stopped me ...and it did not even have a tag on it !

But John, when I saw this ,I thought what about the locking hard cases for ATV's that attach to the down tubes?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »
Now that is what you need, the best of both worlds and you could make it to look like a stagecoach to really be  8)
I ride a BMW 2002 R1150RT and have taken my pistols to the range but am still looking for a way to take the rifles and shotgun. ???
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »
Major, Thats a good idea but I would have a problem attaching anything to the down tubes because of the fairing on the bike.

I get 26 MPG on my wife's Mercury Sable, 21 MPG on my stick shift Explorer and around 42 MPG on my Harley. I know there are automobiles out there that will give me better fuel economy but I don't want to buy a new vehicle at this time.

You definitely are at the mercy of Mother Nature on a motorcycle but this quote from Adirondack Jack expresses my sentiments
ya just gotta tell 'em "It's a bike thing"   Somethin' about riding to a shoot, enjoyin' the day at the range with pards, then riding home on the bike.  Makes a Sunday a great day
AJ, I like the way you think.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »
I had my hitch made (the only commercial hitch for my bike stinks), and coulda had it made a lot cheaper than I did, but I went with laser-cut steel for looks. My trailer was cheap to build, but I am about to rebuild it, having learned a little after using it four years.  I'm gonna lose the "open cart" concept, build a "coffin box" on the chassis out of light, FRP (fiberglass) over an aluminum cage.  I'll still be able to put the kayak or my gun cart on top, but the coffin box will securely hold a long gun case, camping gear, or whatever and keep the stuff dry as well.

Commercial bike trailers worth owning run upwards of 3 grand.  Mine will still be under $500 when re-built.

Bottom line is this stuff is doable.  Just think LIGHT, LONG, and lightly sprung (so the tail don't wag the dog).  Mine weighs 90 lbs.  it'll be a whole 120 when re-done.

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 11:41:38 PM »
60 mpg is hard to beat, but the new 2000 cc diesel cars can make around 45,5 mpg (at least at 55mph)

I'm not from the US, in my country diesel is cheaper than gasoline. 

one thing that most people do not remember/understand about the us and cars is the emissions that has to be on the cars here.
the emissions actually cause the car to get less miles per gallon. for example the smart car, only 35 miles per gallon and its a gas car.
the diesel smart car was not imported to the us because it did not meet the emissions standard(at least thats what i heard). my understanding is the diesel smart car overseas get about 80 miles per gallon.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com