Author Topic: Gunsmithed rugers  (Read 4408 times)

Offline bas122286

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunsmithed rugers
« on: June 29, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »
     Hi all,
New here and just getting into the sport. I am working on getting all my gear at thyis point and have settled on a pair of ruger new vaqueos in 45lc. How important is it to have these new guns "tuned" before i start shooting them?: I have read places that failure to do so will result in the frame warping etc etc... Is just fully degreasing the gun and working the action not good enough for these? I would assume that ruger has taken into thought that this gun is very popular among cowboy action shooters and made the required changes to keep these guns working. I got a qoute for a pair of ruger new vaqueros in 45lc stainless w/ 5 1/2" bbl @ $1900.00. ??? This just seems l'ike a lot of money on the gunsmithing side of things. Thanks for all the help.

Brian

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
Re: Gunsmithed rugers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:12:55 PM »
Jus take them out and shoot them.  Frame warping?  Never hear of such thing.  $1900.00 to tune an couple of Rugers.....somebody is on cheap drugs.   The Ruger New Vaquero's are pretty smooth right out of the box.  They come with a 17lb hammer spring.  If yur halfway handy and comfortable with taking them apart, jus look inside for any metal flashing or burs and smooth them out with a honeing stone.  Some folks will go with a 14lb hammer spring.  Other than that, they don't need nuthin.  I got 5 of them in .357 and they are great guns.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:14:27 PM »
Just shoot em.  IMHO, Rugers are as close as any gun ever was to "race ready" out of the box.  You can improve em with a little lighter mainspring, and a bit of customizing of the trigger return spring, but neither of those is needed for half decent operation.  You WILL NOT hurt a stock Ruger by just shooting it a LOT ;)
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:07:32 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
I echo the other pards, just shoot 'em.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »

>:( There is always going to be few OUTLAWS out there ready to take a poor cowpokes money  :-\ :( >:( >:( >:(

TW
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:07:38 AM »
$1900 is way too much.  You can get the entire package from Wes for less than that.  If you are anywhere close to Cody Conagher let him run through them for you.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline bas122286

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys. I figured this so iwent ahead and ordered a pair from my dealer they will be here in a week or so. Where is cody located. I will probably just shoot them like they are for now, but maybe later down the road I would have some work done on them. Thanks again for all the help.

Brian

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »
Hi Brian,

When I got started, I collected a couple of old model vaquero's in 45lc.  I went threw the same questions, but then . I just went out and shot.  Mine were low and to the left, and needed two strong men to pull the trigger, but I had fun with them.  after about a year of shooting, I figured out exactly what I wanted to have done to mine.  As you get into the sport more, and truly have some extra disposable income, chat with the Pardners at your local shoots.   They might be able to tell you what they did to theirs, let you check theirs out, etc. and tell you who in the community can work on them.

I live in Houston, and found a smith close to where I work,   I paid about 130 apiece to have mine tunes, trigger work, free spin paw, springs replaced, cylenters reamed, and sights adjusted to my loads.  Dont know a lot about the new vaquero's, but I understand ruger took care of a lot from the old model.

Pappy
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
I have read places that failure to do so will result in the frame warping etc etc...

Huh??? That's a new one on me. Dunno how you would warp the frame on a Ruger by shooting it right out of the box. I agree with AJ, a Ruger New Vaquero is about as close as you can come to a 'race ready' gun right out of the box. Oh, there are plenty of things you can do to trick them out, but I would suggest just going out and shooting them.

Where do you live? It can make a difference as to where you want to send them if you want them worked on. Personally, I feel that Rugers are so simple to work on for routine stuff that rather than send them to a really top smith you might find somebody local through your club that can slick them up just fine without having to ship them anywhere.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »
where are you located Bas????????
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
I think it would take a bulldozer to warp the frame on a Ruger, and even then the Ruger might knock the bulldozer out first.

I have a pair of OLD vaqueros and a pair of NEW vaqueros.  The old ones took a lot of 'tuning' to get them to he smooth and fast.  As well, the old ones were very difficult to match -- getting them to both feel the same in operation -- an important matter for competitive shooting.

My NEW vaqueros were ready to run out of the box!!!  No kidding!!!  I did disassemble them for an initial cleaning, polishing and lubrication, but it really wasn't necessary.  They were identical in terms of feel from the start and have stayed that way.  I cannot tell them apart while shooting.  They will require regulation for CAS loads as they are set up for factory loads.  A file and a couple of hours are all that's required to regulate them.

Offline Travis Morgan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
Shooting target loads through a Ruger is about like trying to wear out an anvil with a rubber hammer-you ain;t gonna wear anything out, except maybe the hammer. Personally, I'll only own the old model Vaqueros. I can shoot whatever I want through them. In the woods, they're my "short range rifles".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com