Author Topic: USFA Special Order Blues  (Read 19064 times)

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA Special Order Blues
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:30:47 AM »
Well my fellow Remmy fans, I'm sorry to say that your reading the words of a disillusioned USFA Remmy hopeful. Now call me naive, but one would think that USFA- a maker of excellent single action revolvers- would be a little bit more flexible with this potential customer's wishes.
This all started when I picked up the latest issue of Guns of the Old West. The new guns of 2008 featured a two page spread of the USFA Remington revolvers and immediately I noticed something that I didn't like.

First- The armory blue looked a little too gray for my tastes. I was expecting a dark rich blue normally seen on alot of single action revolvers.

Second- That front sight left alot to be desired. Not much of a convincing arguement here, but I really wanted to see a front sight that closely resembled the sights found on the Hartford Armory Model 1875.

All of a sudden, I started thinking about having my Remington 1875 customized. So I spent the last few days trying to get hold of a sales representative at the phone number listed for E. Remington & Sons which, wouldn't you know it, is the same number for USFA. When I started asking him if I could get my 1875 customized with the afore mentioned details, my hopes started to fade. The sales rep told me that "We can't do anything really wild".
Now folks that remark really put me off and left me dumbstruck. Put off in the fact that a sales rep would talk to someone willing to pay their hard earned money for their product like that! Dumbstruck in the fact that this company might be unable to do a few simple alterations. Common Sense dictates that for them to do something REALLY WILD would have them build an 1875 with an 18" barrel! Now okay, I might be wrong. USFA hasn't even started production of the 1875 yet, and here they have some wildcard telling them how he wants it done. Back to that front sight, the sales rep told me that spade sight on their 1875 was historically accurate. Well, after seeing a genuine E. Remington & Sons Model 1875 on the gunbroker website, I can tell you that there is proof of variation, and I firmly believe USFA should pay close attention to these details!

Now don't get me wrong, I think that USFA is one of the best things to ever happen to the firearms industry. But if they're not willing to build what I ask for, then I won't even bother to get their Model 1875. I'll just keep my eyes open for a used full blue Hartford Armory 1875 in .45 Colt. Now I could save myself the trouble and go get two EMF Outlaw revolvers at the drop of a hat, but I'm one of those people who still value the concept of AMERICAN MADE. I've been working hard and I've been putting up with a ton of other people's lard, just so I can lay my hands on the AMERICAN MADE Remington 1875 of my dreams. I've come too far just to give up and go Italian now.

"Don't you ever stop to think beyond the safe and sanctioned point of view?"- Stan Ridgway
A work in progress.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: USFA Special Order Blues
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:55:52 AM »
USFA told another pard here that the 1875s wouldnt be ready until the 4th quarter of this year.  I think they are having a hard enough time making a stock Remington much less customizing them.   I think we should just hope they eventually produce these guns.   If you notice USFA doesnt even have them on the website yet.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
USFA told another pard here that the 1875s wouldnt be ready until the 4th quarter of this year.  I think they are having a hard enough time making a stock Remington much less customizing them.   I think we should just hope they eventually produce these guns.   If you notice USFA doesnt even have them on the website yet.

That's exactly what the sales rep told me about the 4th quarter. He also told me that there would be a link from the USFA website to Remington Arms. Although exactly when that would be, I don't know because I felt that he probably didn't know either. It's frustrating that USFA is taking forever to make the website availabe to the general public. Leaving people in the dark like that is not how I would define Good Business.
A work in progress.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:14:01 PM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
That's exactly what the sales rep told me about the 4th quarter. He also told me that there would be a link from the USFA website to Remington Arms. Although exactly when that would be, I don't know because I felt that he probably didn't know either. It's frustrating that USFA is taking forever to make the website availabe to the general public. Leaving people in the dark like that is not how I would define Good Business.

agreed

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »
I wouldn't get too excited about what they will or won't do until they actually produce these guns. I've ordered guns before they were in production in the past. The actual fact is always different than the promises. They probably don't have a good handle on exactly what they will be doing anyway so the best advice I can give is wait until they're in production. Then talk to USFA when they know the full scope of their production capabilities. You could be pleasantly surprised. Maybe not, but at least you won't spend a lot of time in a stressed state before then. For that matter, you may change your mind on what details you actually will want and all that concern would have been for nothing.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »
I have one on order, but they will call my FFL prior to shipping so I can always change my mind.   ;)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:08:20 PM »
Howdy, 6 Gun K.!

There are experts ... then there's me.  ;)

If I'm not mistaken, the front sight on the HA Remingtons replicates the first version, which is a hold-over from the NMAs.  The version that USFA has a few pictures of (where? - that they showed several months ago) is of the later editions.

It's a personal thing as to which you'd prefer.  I'd prefer the newer blade type myself.  It's MUCH easier on the inside of your holsters and doesn't chew up as much lining leather.  But that's me.

IF  (the biggest word in the English language) USFA does get these great-looking guns going, I'll bet the blueing issue you mention can be taken care of.  But not until they know their actual production capabilities.  Hell - the stoopid A-rabs and the greedy oil companies are trying to strangle yer pocketbook anyway, so look for a price increase beyond the already sky-high pricetag!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
The original 1875's had three different types of sights used in three successive periods. That is how the collectors differentiate them as well as by caliber. I got that fact straight from THE expert on '75's, Don Ware.

Offline Skinny Preacher 66418

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
You should ask to talk to his/her manager about it. They might be extra to change the bluing and sight, but it could be done.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »
You should ask to talk to his/her manager about it. They might be extra to change the bluing and sight, but it could be done.

I am betting he talked to Gary Granger.  I think he would have to talk with Doug Donnelly to go higher than Gary.

Offline Hellwood

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:57:17 PM »
What is the deal with getting a good, authentic reproduction of a 1875 Remington? I'm starting to think I've jinxed the whole process by unwittingly choosing the 1875 as my all-time favorite hand gun. I've loved them since I was a kid, when I first started studying the guns and gear of the Civil War and the Old West. Now, thirty five years later, I'm still trying to get an exact replica of the old '75. Other outfits make picture-perfect replicas of first generation Colts. Is there some magic voodoo incantation that I need to start chanting to get the gun gods to smile upon us? I'll not even launch into the story of my on-going 4.5 year battle with Hartford Armory to get either my guns or my $2000 back.

I have a pair of older Uberti's that have the pinched-post front sight. In fact, one of them was made in the early-mid '70's for the Replica Arms Co. It has the more-authentic solid frame and front clasp for the cylinder pin, and the most incredible (yet un-authentic) tiger striped case colors on the frame and backstrap that I've ever seen on any firearm. The other one is an early 90's Navy Arms. I am currently doing a few things to make them look even more like originals, like stripping the glossy coating off the grips, sanding them down thinner, and giving them a dark oiled finish. I'm going to replace the brass trigger guards with blued steel ones, as soon as VTI gets some in stock. I've moved the serial numbers onto the backstraps and installed lanyard rings originally made for the Pietta LeMat revolver. I'm even contemplating getting the cylinders bevelled. I've blued the "white" sides of the hammers. The only thing I can't seem to bring myself to do is erase those gorgeous case colors on the frame of the older one. I guess I'll leave those alone.

And after all of the modifications, I will have two more-authentic-looking facsimiles of an original 1875, but not exact clones or reproductions. I hope that USFA does make good on their plans to make an 1875 clone, and that (IMO) simple requests like choices of front sight style, or lanyard rings, or type of finish will be accomodated without too much fanfare (if any). I'll certainly be in line for one, hopefully with my refund from Hartford Armory in hand to pay for it.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:10:28 AM »
I hear you loud and clear Hellwood. I'm working to save up for those guns. But the biggest threat is me trying not to buy any other guns until those USFA Remingtons make their debut. Speaking of temptation, I'm even considering getting two customized EMF Outlaw revolvers in full blue with nickel-plated trigger guards! :-\ Now on top of all that, I'm also considering getting them with .45 ACP cylinders!
A work in progress.

Offline Hellwood

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »
Now, that does sound mighty tempting.  ;)  I have always thought those .45 ACP cylinders would be a sweet thing to have. Let us know how they perform if'n ya get 'em.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
I hear you loud and clear Hellwood. I'm working to save up for those guns. But the biggest threat is me trying not to buy any other guns until those USFA Remingtons make their debut. Speaking of temptation, I'm even considering getting two customized EMF Outlaw revolvers in full blue with nickel-plated trigger guards! :-\ Now on top of all that, I'm also considering getting them with .45 ACP cylinders!
Howdy Gents

Sixgun Killrain you'll have to shop else where , for your 1875 Remington, I bought the last one they had at E.M.F., you know they lost there Uberti distributorship, several weeks ago, they were the only ones I know of that carried that line, good luck in finding one, I'll keep my eye's open for you , and let you know if i find one.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:46:42 PM »
If you want to have the performance of a 45 ACP without needing a special cylinder, Adirondack Jack makes a case the same size with all the dimensions of the 45 Colt but the length of the 45 ACP. He calls them Cowboy 45 Specials. I bought some to reload. They work fine. Just about the same performance as the ACP cartridges.

http://www.cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Skinny Preacher 66418

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »
Now, that does sound mighty tempting.  ;)  I have always thought those .45 ACP cylinders would be a sweet thing to have. Let us know how they perform if'n ya get 'em.

I have a 45 ACP Cylinder I bought from VTI to go with my 7.5" EMF 1875. Both nickle plated. It shoots great, and lets you shoot your revolver at an indoor range (full jacketed bullets). One thing I didn't like about it is the ratchets are cut different on each cylinder. The 45 acp teeth aren't and deep...so the hand was too long. I had to shorten the hand a bit, which makes the bolt drop a little too early with my 45 LC cylinder.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 10:29:44 PM »

HMMMMMMmmmm....

Something I don't quite understand here......You're complaining about not being able to get a more authentic finish and front sight put on one of these new Remington's and yet you're willing to shoot .45 acp in a 19th century revolver?? Makes no sense to me folks??

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 10:54:17 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how someone could be upset that USFA isn't taking special orders on a non-existent gun.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 12:37:26 AM »
HMMMMMMmmmm....

Something I don't quite understand here......You're complaining about not being able to get a more authentic finish and front sight put on one of these new Remington's and yet you're willing to shoot .45 acp in a 19th century revolver?? Makes no sense to me folks??

OCB

Well OCB, you've got a good point there. I opted for the .45ACP cylinder for this reason. Where I live and shop, .45 Colt ammuntion is a little hard to come by, and yet I find myself in an ocean of .45ACP! After reading about the optional .45 ACP cylinder, it sounded reasonable and practical to me. Now for the record, I myself stress authenticity alot, but sometimes I find myself in a situation demanding that practicality supercede authenticity. That's how my crazy mind works. Besides, I only said I was tempted into considering it.
A work in progress.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 01:53:16 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how someone could be upset that USFA isn't taking special orders on a non-existent gun.
Those non-existent guns are very real in my mind. Someone somewhere told me if you can dream it, you can realize it. Whoever it was I was talking to at USFA seemed completely unwilling to help me make my dream a reality and that just felt like a sucker punch. Now just this evening, I was on the USFA website and I saw their custom shop SAA. It was engraved and was in full armory blue. You know what, that armory blue finish didn't seem half bad. So here is what I am going to do, once the funds are ready I'm going to order my pair of 1875's in armory blue with the optional nickel-plated trigger guards. Once they are in my possession I am going to file down those front sights until they are halfway decent.
If you think that's crazy, well I couldn't agree more. The sad fact is that I really don't know what to do anymore folks! Maybe I could get USFA to put the 1858 front sight on there but I doubt it. Now maybe what I'm saying right now is flying in the face of my response to Ottawa Creek Bill, but this my dream we're talking about. I don't mean to unload on you Pettifogger but I can't make it anymore crystal clear than that. I really wish that USFA would pay close attention to the SCORRS forum and take a hint!
A work in progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com