Author Topic: Rifle prices: Marlin vs. Mossberg vs. Henry  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Xavier

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle prices: Marlin vs. Mossberg vs. Henry
« on: June 06, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
I'm trying to decide on a gun for Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette.

I have a Winchester 94 in .45 for the "pistol cartridge" class and a 9422 for smallbore.

If I were to go with a 30/30 I see Marlin has their Model 336 with a MSRP of about $530.00; Mossberg has their new 464 for about $475 and Henry has a 30/30 for $750. I was taken aback by the high price of the Henry. I know most guns are available for somewhat less than the MSRP but even so is the Henry worth that much more?

I tend to think the Marlin is the most proven gun here but I like the straight stock on the Mossberg & Henry as my present guns have that configuration.

Also considering the Marlin 1895 in 45/70 but I think 30/30 probably the way to go (??)

Any thoughts?

Xavier

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Re: Rifle prices: Marlin vs. Mossberg vs. Henry
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »
The rifle in my avitar pic is a Marlin 336 A.  It was bought a year ago, new, for $425 at a Big 5 sporting goods store.  It is an amazing gun.
     It is not legal for any CAS events so far as I know, but it's a keeper.  Long range accuracy is impecable as is close and it's solid as a rock.  The 336 can also be had in a "C" model, which is a little more expensive, but supposedly more period correct in the small details.  My rifle provides the best open site shooting I've ever gotten out of a 30/30, it's definately one to bring into the family and treasure.
     I'm sure Henry enthusiasts will scoff, but that's my 2 cents worth. ;D

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Greeenriver

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
Since you already have a Winchester for the .45 and 22 caliber events, I'd shop arround for a used Winchester 94 in 30-30 to go with them. Keep it all the same.

Truthfuly, I've been shooting SASS for several years now, and have never shot a side match requering anything more than a pistol caliber rifle. I have seen them, but I'm usualy busy and don't get to shoot them.

But I do have a Win. 94 in 30-30 just in case I ever get the time.

Greeenriver
Very few of life's problems cannot be addresed by a suitable application of high explosives

Never forgive, never forget

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:50:42 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com