Author Topic: Guns Magazine Article - Whatever Happened To Cowboy Action Shooting?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Anybody read the article by John Taffin about CAS in the July 2008 issue of Guns Magazine? - Whatever Happened To Cowboy Action Shooting? It was such a good thing.
Whadda ya think?
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
This was discussed ad nauseum on the SASS wire.   Thats about all I have to say about it.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Every now and again, I am reminded, usually by someome my senior, about "the good ole days".  Funny how folks with artificial knees, a stent or two, and cataract surgery and lens implants will talk about "the good ole days".  Hell, in the good ole days, they'd have been lame, dead or blind.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Advertising

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
Howdy Gents

John Taffin and I are about the same age , and we both grew up in the same area in California, living here all my life , i've seen some bad things happen here in the way of gun laws, which are really depressing, so maybe when John was writting this article he may have been having a really bad day. The good old days are just that, for a lot of us , and we have good memories of that time, but at this time of my life , I couldn't be happier in CAS, this is great fun , and i can only see it growing in the future, California is a problem, and will probably remain a problem, but i know myself and others are working around it , it's hard to keep a Cowboy down, I hope to be enjoying this sport the rest of my life , and i hope the same for the younger Pards out there , they may have to make up a really old Dudes class, but thats OK as long as i can still hear those 4 CLICKS.. ??? :D ;D 8) And remember this was just one or two pards opinion's so don't take it to heart. ;)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
I'm sitting here thinking ...don't do it ..but I never one to sit in the corner

I read the article and right now at this stage of my life I have to disagree with the concept that CAS is dying a slow death . At least not my opinion of CAS and what I have found since signing on.I know I know we can debate this forever .
AJ, Don,  Dick , we all are pretty much individual self starters . As such we shoot what we can and in what class we like and want to do well in.
Right now I guess I'm one of the seniors . i am lame ( from rolling my cruiser chasing a 14 year old who got 2 months house arrest) I have had 2 heart attacks ...so I guess I can claim the 'dead or once dead' status and what really ticks me off is my eyes are fading fast.

But ,ya know what I can still go to a range watch the young guns breeze through a stage , and applaud them for their enthusiasm and skill .   Then I can mosey up to the start line , bang away with my little mouse fart 38 Navys ...all the while being RO'd by someone likely 30 years younger . And we can josh and relate cause we are doing something we enjoy .
Why in heck would you spend all the time and effort to be involved in a hobby ---to have a bad time.

What I think makes this a great hobby is the fact that he does his thing , I do mine and we have a heck of a time doing it .
There are those on both sides who would rather segregate and regulate just about everything from what we wear to when ya can pi## . Usually I stay away from them .
Life is short and we won't get out alive  so why not enjoy.
No offense please.

Living the Dream .

Dutch
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
Hey Dutchy, I agree with you. I think CAS has pulled many more pard's in then what left. As for the SASS forum, I don't read it and didn't know they discussed it "ad nauseum". I debated even bringing the topic to the table, but thought it might elicit some good input. Sure wasn't my intention to raise a furor.
Thanks pard's for your input. We may just want to let this die here.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Dead , done like the dogs breakfast...
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Aman and pass the ammo,  ;) :D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
I read many of his articles, especially gun reviews.  Very helpful for this newbie.  I have not read this article, can't comment on it.

But jeeze, 10W, what's with that sorry state of California?  Guess a lot can change from 1849 to 2008...  I just can't fathom why anybody'd bother to even think that what we were interested in was either a threat or would even be of interest to anybody else in the first place.

Is there a state with the motto, "Leave me the heck alone"?

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

:D Black Powder, there are a lot of States that are better than California when it comes to Gun Rights, most of the Guns and hunting Sporting Goods stores have left California, and we used to some of the best.... :'( ??? :o :( >:( >:(

tEN wOLVES

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
10W, CA is surely a beautiful place.  No doubt.  I know.  I been there!  Good old Ohio is seeming more and more like home, after 50+ years...  ;D

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
BP,

The only state with that motto would be "state of mind." :o ::) ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
BP,
The only state with that motto would be "state of mind." :o ::) ;D ;D

I'm free!

BP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com