Author Topic: Dodge City holster  (Read 15994 times)

Offline crossdraw

• Top Active Citizen
  • RATS #361
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dodge City holster
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »
I am making two of Will's Dodge City holsters, one is a straight strong side and the other is a crossdraw. I am going to rivet and sew the front strap like the plan shows but I am looking for opinions on when the strap should be attached. Should I attach it, pull the holster through, then wet form the holster and strap. Or should I wet form the holster and strap then attach when dry?

I almost have myself talked into attaching it first then when the holster and strap are wet pulling the holster through the strap like a Mexican loop, putting the gun in and wet forming both.

what do you think?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Dodge City holster
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »
Howdy Crossdraw

Do all your sewing ,and the two rivets first, then pull your holster through the loop, then wet form your holster and you can flatten the top of the holster that rides on the belt , and don't forget to flare out the top of the bucket for easier holstering and reholstering. these are nice holsters pard , Will Ghromely, does a nice job on his patterns. heres a picture of mine, I made two you can get the idea here.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »

heres the other on

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:54:49 PM »

Offline crossdraw

• Top Active Citizen
  • RATS #361
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:52:14 PM »
Wow Ten Wolves those are great looking holsters. Mine will be plain with no carving, maybe next time.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 11:47:19 PM »
When I made my Dodge City holsters, I did as 10W did. Sew and rivet first. Then when you assemble it , the holster will be a good one. I doubt you could pull the strap tight enough if you assemble it with the pouch already in place. Carving isn't always necessary for a good look. My first one was with a simple double cut line. In some ways I like it better than the ones with the decorative border.

Nice holsters, 10W. Good work. I like the tooling on 'em.  8)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:50:16 AM »
Howdy All

Thanks Marshal Will, and Crossdraw, for the kind words on my holsters, like Marshal Will said, you don't really have to do anything to the Dodge City holster, they look great plane or like Marshal Will did with his , doing the lines really sets it off well, you can see his holster in Show your stuff here in the Leather Shop, stop by and take a look, it's good to see all your possibilities. anyway you do it you will have a nice holster. :D ;D 8) http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,228.760.html

Take care Pards  :D

tEN wOLVES

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:22:30 AM »
10W - Is that a remote control by your holsters?  You normally packin' when you watch a western on TV?  ;)

I sure like lookin' at your workmanship.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 08:35:09 AM »
TW,  Them there are a AWESOME Holsters :o :o I am glad that you showed them for a good reason, i noticed that in the pic's with the pairs, that you carved differnt designs on the RH and LH, and the reason I ask, is that all the double rigs I have ever saw had the same desgins on both! Know you have open another door for me!!! :) :) If you don't mind could you explain what gave you the idea! See this is what I am talking about the Artisic ability to think out side the box :)

Those are AWESOME and you and MW gave crossdraw good advice, and see I did not even have to ask that question, another question i don't have to ask! I will put that in my book and go on!! Because I thought That after I get this rig done I would do a dodge ciity rig, Thanks Crossdraw for asking the question.

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »
Here's a picture of the R. E. Rice Dodge City holster that I scanned in from Packing Iron. If you go to the Gene Autry Museum in LA you can see it in person. I took some photos of it while I was there, but the one in PI is a better photo and shows the simplicity of the double line. I trimmed it some to fit nicely in this post.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
Howdy Gents  ;D

Black Powder, that is a remote , i like to watch old or new westerns, while i'm working in my shop, one of my favorates is Chuck Burrows, cd on holster making, everytime i watch it i pick up something new .

Hello Ace, i'm glad to see you saw the difference in the holster tooling patterns, i like to be  different like you said , sometimes it's good to think outside the box, by finishing them the same way it's only noticeable to the discriminating eye, so thanks for noticeing Pard  ;D

Howdy Marshal Will, thats a nice picture, you got from Packing Iron, I haven't tried to take pictures out of a book yet, yours came out great , thanks for sharing. :D

Will Crossdraw, now you're armed with a little more information pard, i look forward to seeing your new Dodge City holsters. ::) 8) ;D

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 12:44:20 PM »
that is a remote , i like to watch old or new westerns, while i'm working in my shop

The missus sez my guns don't belong with me in the family room just cuz I'm watchin' westerns and I don't have a shop.  Yet.  Thought maybe I was gonna be needin' advice on how to go about gettin' permission.   ;D
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 01:02:42 PM »
Howdy Black Powder ;D ;D ;D

Will Pard in my homestead, I have my sixshooters with me in the shop and in the house, i just think it's a Cowboy thing, my better half has total faith in the way i handle firearms, and that makes it easier for me to help the good guys fight the bad guys, we don't have any little buckarues, running around anymore, so it's a safe environment, and i don't offend anyone , like i said it's the Cowboy way, PLUS it HELPS smooth up the actions in my GUNS. (IMHO ) ( LOL )  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) ::) :o

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
Fer TW... ::)

:-[ I must admit I had not noticed that they were not the usual mirror image jobbies  :-[

I `spose the old brain is used ta scanning images now rather than LOOKING  ::)

They are absolultly Booooootiful pard !!

Paladin (Whats gonna LOOK more `n scan less  ;D ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 01:10:33 PM »

:D :) ;D Thanks for noticeing Paladdin UK, and the kind words  ;) :D

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »
Ten Wolves, The Dodge City holsters have not been a big favorite of mine but they are startin' ta grow on me. Fine lookin' job ya did on those unmirror image holsters. Real nice. I pack iron all the time too. I know what ya mean by it keepin' the action slick. ;D

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
Yeah, Those Dodge City holsters of 10W's can make a believer out of you for sure. :D It really shows the potential for what can be done with some imagination and talent. Totally inspiring. Now I may have to make another set of them. ;D

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »

:D :D ;D Tkanks Pards, i'm going to have to get me a pin, i can feel my head swelling here, and you know i can't have that , i just got used to this hat i'm a wearen, but really Thanks for the flowers  ;D ;D the more i work with leather the more i love it   ::) 8)

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 06:10:07 PM »
TW

What did I tell you.....stick with it and it will come...great job pardner
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »
Outrider, you got that right! i think they are just AWESOME, I have seen other Dodge City Holsters and like Horse Pen Henry hit it on the head, The Dodge city holster most likely would of been a very later on project, but after seeing those, and I am going to make a attemp to carve a pair of spur straps. I have been invited to drive over about 60 miles to a member that is on here that does leathed work, and I ask if I could come over when he is doing a carving job! I loved chucks DVD, I just wished he could of spent a little more time on the stamping and slowed down and explain little bit more for us slow learners, don't get me wrong that DVD set IS AWESOME and i watch them as much as i can.
 I am the type of person who can read a book 10 times on how to do it, and it wouldn't have set in. But show me one time in detail and it won't take me long to have the nack of it, now i am not saying i would be a pro, but in 6-8 months I wouldn't be asamed to show some one!
 I realy like it when we can get on a topic and get things out in the open, that is how we all learn.

See Ya
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »

;D :D ;) ;D Well thanks Pards, you are all making my day, I can't tell you how great it is to have Pards like all of you to ride the trail with, i'm very very Gratfull to have all of you in my life. Thanks again Pards  ;) :D ;D And you were right again Outrider ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com