Author Topic: Webley revolver question (yep - again)  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Sundown Storm

• "An' so God wills it; let there be rain."
  • Active citizen
  • "...a time to reap..."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Webley revolver question (yep - again)
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »
It's been a great long while since last I posted, but, here goes:

I am going to aquire (regardless of the outcome of this upcoming question) a Webley revolver Mk IV in .38 S&W on wednesday, but I'm curious: NCOWS, at least says that the Webley mk IV is allowed (as per The Tally Book, but my question is: how about the .38 S&W version?
would the .38 be allowed to shoot at an event?

My thanks in advance!
Sebastyen "Sundown" Storm
RATS #287, S.O.T.G. #1, Freemason
Why, yes, I dress like this all the time. I feel very unencumbered like this, and it helps to conceal my pistols...
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/docstorm

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Webley revolver question (yep - again)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:48 PM »
The .38/200 version of the Webley was the post-WWI attempt to replace the .455 Mark VI.

The War Office started that process in 1921 - well into the 20th Century.

The Mark IV mentioned in the 'Tally Book' is the one adopted in 1899 - in .455 - 'not' the much later one in .38/200.

For a detailed look - read Chamberlain and Taylerson's 'Revolvers of the British Services, 1854 - 1954'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
Ok, so I was just shooting with John Torrence, aka Trap this weekend.  He is the national judge on all things allowable in NCOWS.  They were holding a Double Action side match this year in Kansas where I shoot with them and since my 1901 Army was broken, I asked about my Webley.  It is on just like yours, and I have to admit, it is one cool pistol.  But, the ruling was, since it had a Square bottom that it was persona non grata.  It's too bad, because it is a really cool pistol, but them's the breaks.  The 38 S&W round itself is not illegal as there are pocket pistols from the era, and I have one that are legal.

Reckon I will make sure my 1901 Army is working for next year so I can play.  He has ruled that legal because there is not a significant difference between that and the 1892.

Thanks
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:24:38 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com