F.A Meanea and Co. Treasure Found!

Started by David Carrico, April 30, 2008, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Carrico

Several weeks ago I purchased the remaining patterns and dies from the F.A. Meanea Company that was around in the 1990's, not the 1890's. This company reproduced many items from the original Meanea including saddles, holsters, headstalls, belts, etc. I was able to locate the remaining clicker dies and floral embossing plates. The saddles were 1870's and 1890's styles, I have all the saddle dies including: seat, fenders, skirts, jockeys, rigging , etc,  and a mochilla. Several other misc dies such as chap parts, spur straps, and a headstall. The unique find was they had made embossing plates for the floral tooling patterns. These plates make the outline of the flowers and leaves, then you tool the rest. I have these for all the saddle parts and spur straps. Not sure how to "Capitalize" on all of this. I will use the patterns in my everyday work, but it might be something marketable, and I need to recover my investment! It's been suggested that I sell a saddle kit? Not sure how much interest. It would take a lot of time to put something like that together. A pattern pack might be good. Just thought I would share, it's not everyday that you stumble across something like that! I have posted some pictures from the 1995 F. .A. Meanea Company catalog on my website. Thanks for your interest! http://www.carricoleather.com/mcclellansaddles/meaneacompany.html

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy David

Boy what a treasure you have their, as for saddles, CowboyWC is looking for patterns, I'll mention this to him , I'm sure he will be interested, and probably several other pards here in the forum, that are making saddles now. you will most likely get an onslot of Pards shimming in on this. Good luck with this Dave, and I hope you can recoup some of your Gold Dust Pard. ??? ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

I would think that a pattern set would be a good thing to advertise on your site. There have to be a number of people who would like a pattern of an original design to work from.

You know, holster patterns would be cool, too, if they're taken exactly from the original 1800's ones.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

Thats a very cool find!! I also think an original pattern set for Menea holsters would be nice. When I go thru Packing Iron, most of the ones that grab my eye are Menea.
Just a nice set of carving patterns would be a great asset too.
Too bad the stuff wasnt all 1890s era equipment! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Pitspitr

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

David Carrico

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I regret to say, but I didn't get the holster patterns. They had been sold off a couple years ago. Still a prize though. With all the interest, I will try to get something together as a pattern pack. Really busy, had a prop house order five complete McClellan saddles and tack last Friday. Needs to be in LA May 16! Shipping to Australia for some movie. We all know that's where most of the Civil War took place!
Thanks guys!
DC

outrider

David...wasn't that the war between the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere???? :o ??? ;D ;D
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Judge Lead

With the end of the US southern aggression, Australia still has one going between Queensland and Victoria. Trouble is, New South Wales is stuck in between them  ;D

Maybe thats between Queensland and New South and New South and Victoria. All I know is New South are Mexicans to the Queenslanders and Victorians are Mexicans to New South Welshman  ::) ??? 8)

Ahhhhhh !!!!!. Friendly rivalry. Ain't it grande.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Flinch Morningwood

I would definately be interested in a pattern set...especially the Number 2 saddle shown in the link!

I have been wanting to make one of those for a while...

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Ottawa Creek Bill

David.......
How's it going????

I would be interested in a pattern kit of the Mother Hubbard Saddle.....

Bill Proctor
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Deadeye Don

Quote from: David Carrico on May 06, 2008, 08:35:59 AM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I regret to say, but I didn't get the holster patterns. They had been sold off a couple years ago. Still a prize though. With all the interest, I will try to get something together as a pattern pack. Really busy, had a prop house order five complete McClellan saddles and tack last Friday. Needs to be in LA May 16! Shipping to Australia for some movie. We all know that's where most of the Civil War took place!
Thanks guys!
DC

So this is probably not a good time to place an order with you David   ???  ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

oregontrailcrossing

Hi David: Dang, were your ears burning? Just a short time ago I was in at the Nelson Museum of the West in Cheyenne chatting with Dale Beard about you.

My name is Carla Edwards and I trade in antique gun leather on my dotcom. I have a guide to Historical Wyoming Saddlemakers there that's really popular and I stopped in Cheyenne looking for a little more background on Meanea and that's how your name came up. Small gosh darned world   ;)

I think *maybe* you also knew me from eBay, I have a couple of ids there but used to have a storefront called oregontrailcrossing and I've sold lots of Meanea leather goods. The old stuff, not the remakes.

Anyway I just thought I'd stop by to introduce myself and to make your acquaintance.

...and on the ideas for new products? The remaufactured later items that are wildly popular are the checkbook cover and keytainer done with the old Meanea strikes. I tried to buy one once on eBay and ran the checkbook cover up to $80 and was sniped by Dale Beard in the last seconds of the auction  :D

Happy Trails to you

Carla

www.oregontrailcrossing.com

Meanea

Quote from: oregontrailcrossing on July 10, 2008, 10:24:42 PM

...and on the ideas for new products? The remaufactured later items that are wildly popular are the checkbook cover and keytainer done with the old Meanea strikes. I tried to buy one once on eBay and ran the checkbook cover up to $80 and was sniped by Dale Beard in the last seconds of the auction  :D

Happy Trails to you

Carla
I am not sure about that Carla, I bought a Meanea checkbook cover off the bay and it was the only 1 I have seen there.

I emailed David a picture of it awhile back with my other Meanea leathers
Meanea

A Straight Shooter is more than shooting straight!
Courage is being afraid, but saddlin' up anyway!!
SASS Member CCA Member
WACA Member NWTF Member
CSSA Member BBHC Member
Always looking for old Winchesters and Colts

Bryan Austin

Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

David Carrico

If anyone is interested in that scabbard, I've been thinking about offering it as a kit or the pattern. I also have the plate for the tooling pattern. It presses in the outline for all the flowers and leaves and you have to carve it.
Thanks for your interest!

Bryan Austin

Quote from: David Carrico on September 19, 2008, 08:17:37 AM
If anyone is interested in that scabbard, I've been thinking about offering it as a kit or the pattern. I also have the plate for the tooling pattern. It presses in the outline for all the flowers and leaves and you have to carve it.
Thanks for your interest!

PM me the kit information. Probably not a good thing to learn on but I'll take a stab at it. Just the plain jane model!

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Bryan Austin

mrappe

This is interesting because years ago I used to see an elderly man at one of the large gunshows here in Houston who had a reproduction Meanea catalog and mad the holsters exactly like theirs with the name and all. He hhad told me that he was the only one hat had the rights to produce them at that time. He told me how he got the rights but I don't remember exactly the story. This was about 12-15 years ago so I don't know if he is still around. Reading this post just jogged my memory about it. It looks like you made a good find. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with them.

Mike
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

Blackey Cole

I really liked your site although the links seamed to be mislabeled.  I want to see belts and it took me to billfolds etc.  I am going to start a set of 1875 saddle bags and want to make them as close to spec as I can.  They will be hand sewed since I do not have a stictcher.  If you have anything that would help me I would like to take a look at it.
SASS, NRA, NMSA
NRA  RSO
SASS RO II
Gaming Gunfighter in Training

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com