Author Topic: Another Boot Question  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Strawberry Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another Boot Question
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:21:13 AM »
I've been reading a lot of post and am more confused than ever, what type of boot is legal if I don't want to wear a pair of mule ears on the outside of pants but prefer a shorter boot worn inside the pant leg? So far it looks like anything is legal as long as it has no stiching on toe and has a slick sole. I don't have acess to any local clubs so I'm getting my gear and costume ready with help from the net and forums. I'm leaning toward a Justin Ranch or Roper boot if there legal...

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
Re: Another Boot Question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »
A  roper would work just fine.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:37:05 AM »
Ropers, lacers, packers.  The rules are pretty lax for SASS but NCOWS is going to be a little tougher.  All the rules say is that combat boots are disallowed UNLESS you are in one of the categories that has costuming requirements.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:01:25 AM »

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Wellington's are another possibility.  ACW brogans are another possibility.  I have seen a picture of a group of veterans of the Battle of San Jacinto [end of the Texas Revolution - mid 1830's] which was taken in 1872 or 73 and several of the 15 or so are clearly wearing brogans.  They all are obviously old men and are also wearing vests without lapels.  I'll try to locate the source if you are interested.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »
Welcome Strawberry, for SASS it's easier to figure out what's not allowed. From Shooters Handbook & ROI
OUTLAWED • All types of athletic shoes or combat boots no matter the material from which they are constructed.
                 • Tennis, running, jogging, aerobic or other modern athletic shoes, combat boots.
Also not everyone wore boots, there were bankers, lawyers, gamblers, store keepers, carpenters and everything in between. Most of us have a pair of leather shoes in our closet that will work just fine even for NCOWS. There were shoes with laces, buckles, slip on and ankle high like hush puppys. I dress as a townie with vest, pocket watch, sleve garters and shoes. Don't spend a fortune on clothes trying to get everything you need to start. A pair of jeans and a denim work shirt will get you started till you fgure out what suits you. The main thing is to get out there and start shooting. Hope to see you on the range.

Jefro,   Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
As Jefro mentioned, there are a tremendous number of boot options.  I just bought a new pair of Ariat workboots.  http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=10&cid=3&scid=127&pid=498

Very comfy.

Offline Grapevine Jimmy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »
Jefro, Doc and Others, I've looked pretty close in the Shooter's, RO I and RO II Manuals and the only reference to smoth soles is in Classic Cowboy and B Western. I'v been wearing a pair of Wellington style that have a little lug on them when I do Traditional or 49er. I've always done BW at Flatwoods, Jefro; do the other at RM and Creedmore.

GJ    ;D
BOLD #809
Hiram's Ranger #30
Carolina Cattlemen's Shooting & social Society
Waiting at the South Gate:"...it is good to meet you thus alone."

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
Howdy Grapevine, don't know how tight they call it, but as I understand it if the lugs or cleats are visible from the side or outside edge then they are not approved. CC and BW are the only categories that specify boots. Also in BW spurs are required for men. I know you've been busy with the grapes, but it's time to get back on the range. We are now doing Cowboy Fast Draw at Bucaneer on the 4th Saturday, ya'll need to come down and give it a try, it's a fun break.

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline ghostsix

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
Unless you are used to them; do not wear riding heels.
Doggers or ropers will work fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com