200 grain bullet load

Started by crossdraw, April 23, 2008, 08:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossdraw

I haven't had much luck finding a .45 colt load for a 200 grain SWC bullet. I did find one online but I rather use a published load.
Does anyone have a published load for this bullet? I plan on shooting a heavier bullet but I would like to use these up.
Thanks for any help.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Hell-Er High Water

Crossdraw,

If you go to the Hodgdon Powder web site, in their Reloading Data section they list many loads for the 45 Colt cartridge with 200 grain lead bullets as well as many other loads for other bullets that are available for this cartridge.  Granted these are listed as RNFP lead bullets but will also work for a SWC, 200 gr lead bullet.

They list loads for Hodgdon, IMR & Winchester powders as they are the supplier for all three.

These are loads from their reloading manual.

I personally use Hodgdon Titegroup powder with good results in both pistol and rifle for this caliber.

HHW

crossdraw

Thanks
I wasn't sure if bullet type would be a big factor.

I found these with further research

Bullet         Powder wt     Primer               powder       data source

200g SWC     9.7 to 9.0      CCI 300/350       Unique         Speer #9

200g             7.7 to 8.9      CCI 300             N320            Internet (Steves pages)

200g             8.0 to 12.2    CCI 300             Unique          ""              ""

200g             9.0 to 11.5    Win WLP           Unique          Alliant

200g LSWC    8.1 to 9.0                              VVn320         Internet (Handloads.com)

200g  LSWC  10.1 to 11.2                           VVN340        ""              ""

What do you think about any of these loads?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Hell-Er High Water

Crossdraw,

I am not familiar with Norma or Vihtavuori powders so I can not comment on them.

I loaded a lot of CAS 45 Colt ammo with Unique before I switched to Titegroup.  As a rule, I found the suggested Hercules/Alliant loads for Unique to be overpowered for CAS shooting.  I loaded and shot several thousand rounds using 6.0 grains of Unique with the 200 grain lead bullet.  This was a safe, pleasant and accurate load in my revolvers, a pair of Navy Arms Schofield's with 5" barrels.

You might give this a try and see how it works for you.

HHW

crossdraw

Cyrille

Speer reloading manual # 14 [The new one] lists loads for the 200 gr. LSWC [ lead semi wad cutter] with various powders on pg 980 of the book
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Oddman

I have been using 7 gr. Unique in both 45 lc and 44-40 with a 200 gr. rnfp for the last 4 yrs in CAS, no problems.

Doc Shapiro

When I shot 45 Colt with 200gr bullets, I had 2 loads.

4.9 gr of Clays
4.9 gr of American Select

With both I used Federal or Winchester primers.

Nice and comfy to shoot.  Velocities in the neighborhood of 675fps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com