Author Topic: building my persona  (Read 3375 times)

Offline caps

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
building my persona
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »
I am just starting my persona but am going to a shotgun shoot this weekend and looking for a shotgun belt that will do double duty.  my persona is an ex civil war cavalry officer taking advantage of the nebraska homestead act. circa 1866 and a few years beyond.  Would I be served well with a canvas shotgun belt from Cabelas or would a leather one suit the period better?
Thank you.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Re: building my persona
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
Go ta the historical board an ask fer Del.  He's an expert on these matters and is from Newbrasky.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
Caps,
actually neither one would have been a common item in 1866. Shotshells would have been carried in pockets, an over-the-shoulder shell bag or haversack type of carrier (Upland Bag), or a belt pouch.

That being said, it is FAR easier to pull shells out of canvas loops than leather.
If you're thinking about competition at a match other than an NCOWS match, I'd go for the canvas belt.
Many at NCOWS matches use either military cartridge boxes on the belt, or the shotshells slipped into the lower vest pocket, positioned upright. They stay put there and make for easy retrieval two at a time.

If your era is a bit later, into the mid 1870's onward, then modified 'prairie belts' like Cabela's would fit in. Into the 1880's and later, the Mills-type as used by the military would be popularized. By 1900 you would see both types offered in the catalogs like Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:16:20 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:27:32 PM »
Shotguns of 'that' era were percussion, for the most part.

The 'shotgun belt' that most folks are familiar with - the one made by Anson Mills - came about 20 years later.

There are a couple of good posts in both the 'NCOWS' forum and the 'Historical Society' forum that deal with the creation of your Impression.

Take a look, then head over to the public library and start researching your background.

Do this before you spend any money without research - and you'll find that you'll have more of it to spend after you've familiarized yourself with 'your' part of the era, since you'll make better-informed choices.

Good Luck!

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:00:07 AM »
Caps,   You just got great advice from two experts already!!  Heed their advice and you will do fine with your choices.  Welcome to CAS and the forum.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline caps

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I knew I would get very good answers here.  I will keep my money for now and hit the books. Are there good online sources of photos? Our local libary is in the sticks and not to good with info.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:34:17 AM »
  Hey Caps, where ya from?
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline caps

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »
Just southwest of York, Nebraska.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
Your library can get just about anything you'd care to read.

Ask the Librarian about 'Inter-Library Loans' - and you'll find that your library can borrow from others.

York is practically on top of Lincoln - and there are great resources there, as you'd expect for a university town.

You'll want to review the 'back pages' of both forums listed above for additional source information, but you should look at the Time-Life series 'The Old West', since it's highly likely your library already has the series.

Use it as a starting point, and build from there, with pre-1900 copies of the mail order catalogs of both 'Sears, Roebuck & Co.', and 'Montgomery Ward & Co', as they'll show you exactly what was available.

Some dates were reprinted in the 1970's, and can be found here and there - often in antique shops.

If I can provide assistance - ask or send a PM.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline caps

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
I did get Packing Iron on an interlibary loan years ago.  It took forever and a day for them to rustle a copy up.  They just aren't to excited about tracking something down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com