Primers & Brass for 45LC

Started by Lucky Eddie, April 02, 2008, 10:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Eddie

Are there any brands of primers to avoid? Or, what do youall prefer to use?
Any brands of brass to avoid? Or, what do youall prefer?

Compass Will

I use Starline brass and Winchester primers.  I would like to check out some of those cowboy specials someday.
SASS 79000

Tommy tornado

I am not a huge fan of Magtech brass.  It seems to be the brass I have had the most problems with let slipping out of shell holders while seating primers, etc.  CCI primers are ok but have hard cups.  I have one Cimmaron with a lightened main spring that can't set off CCI primers.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Adirondack Jack

I use CCI primers because they are the toughest, and least sensitive to unintentional explosion.  A gun set up to reliably pop CCIs is only a miniscule amount heavier sprung than one that won't, and will reliably set off anything.

I've always had good luck with Starline brass, so I chose them to make the C45S.  When I shoot LONG Colt, as well as my other stuff from 32 S&W to .50-70, it's always Starline.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I usually buy Winchester brass for 45 Colt. I don't really think it is any better than any other brand, it is just the most easily available locally. My 'assorted brands' bucket of 45 Colt brass has just about every head stamp under the sun in it. I dip into that bucket whenever I run out of Winchester, and I have never been really dissapointed with any of the brands in there. I usually use Federal primers in 45 Colt because one of my Colts has a really light hammer spring and it does best with Federals. For 44-40 and all my other calibers I usually use Winchester primers. There was a problem with Winchester primers about 5 or 6 years ago, and some were recalled, but I have never had one fail to fire a cartridge.

I do avoid all brands of nickel plated brass. In my experience nickel plated brass tends to split more easily than plain brass.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

JL McGillicuddy

I run Starline brass for two reasons.  One it is a high quality product.  Two it is one of the cheapest brands available.  The two together make a good combination for me. 

For primers, I use Federals if I can get them and Winchesters if I can't.  One rifle (my girlfriend's) is only 98% reliable with Winchester primers, so it is easier to just use Federals all the way around.  Saves me much tylenol. 

On my BP loads I have only used Winchesters to this point.  She isn't going to shoot them and they are a bit easier for me to find locally.

Jack Lee

Singing Bear

Well, my guns are all stock.  I have a stash of brand new Starline, but have plenty of mixed head stamps from the range and whoever gave some to me.  I load whatever my hand grabs from the ammo can.  I use whatever primers I find at the gunstore, usually CCI or Winchester.  No problems with anything I've been using.  :)

Curley Cole

As for brass I use Winchester and Starline (have some Midway mixed in) I also advoid the nickel plated, my reason originally was because I thought they were ugly, but I also see that they don't hold up as long.

Primers I use Winchester for all my needs (small pistol, large pistol and shot gun) I just bought some Wolfe primers to see how they were as they were only $14.99/1000 at the gunshow. don't have any results yet.

Curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Lucky Irish Tom

I primarily use Winchester or Starline brass.  I use Winchester primers because that 's what my local gun shop sells.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Four-Eyed Buck

For .45Colt, I prefer the Winchester brass. At CAS pressures, it seems to expand a little easier than Remington or Starline. Since blow-back seems to be a problem in .45Colt rifles, the Wins. just seem to seal a little better, IMO. As far as primers go, I like Federals the most. I use Winchester when I can't get Federals. My last match, I had two Wins. that didn't go pop, not sure what the problem was. My Rugers and Marlin usually don't have a problem with any brand primers, even with lighter springs. One was in my Ruger, the other was in the Marlin. Haven't disassembled those rounds yet to get a look-see.
As far as my other calibers go, I do use a lot of Starline and am satisfied with it's performance............Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Grapeshot

I use what ever I have on hand.  Most of my brass is Winchester, that's about 40% of my stash, the other 60% is made up of Starline, R-P, PMC, Top Brass, CBC, Hornady, and some WW thrown in for good measure. ;D

All My .45 Colt Brass has had it's flash hole opened up to 3/32nd inch and I use CCI Magnum Large Pistol Primers (#350) and Blacp Powder or Subs. :D

I used to use Winchester LP Primers but had ignition problems with APP. :o
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com