Poll

Do you belong to SASS and NCOWS

YES
10 (35.7%)
NO
18 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: SASS and NCOWS  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
SASS and NCOWS
« on: April 02, 2008, 06:21:56 AM »
The post regarding the difference between speed and accuracy in NCOWS and SASS got me wondering how many people actually belong to both organizations.  Feel free to add comments why you belong to both or just one.  Hopefully,  this will help us all understand how much we are all alike rather than different.   I, for one, belong to both.  Regards.   Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: SASS and NCOWS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »
There are no NCOWS posses in this area plus the clothing requirements are too strict for me.  I also don't have a rifle that is NCOWS legal.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Vernon/IN

• Top Active Citizen
  • Hirams Rangers #14
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:34:30 AM »
I'm an NCOWS member and have been considering joining SASS.  I have shot shot in a few SASS matches and enjoyed them.

My main holdup is coming up with an alias.  Once I do that, I'll most likely join.

Vernon
Hirams Rangers #14
NCOWS # 527
The American Plainsman Society
AZSA #83L
NRA
NMLRA
WartHog
Soot Lord
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:04:21 AM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:53:46 AM »
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 05:26:33 PM »
I'm only an NCOWS member because my longtime pards are members of a NCOWS posse, AND, I like the 2 gun classes.  Having only 1 revolver and one rifle suits me just fine.  Plus on a disability income, I could afford getting started.  Even with reloading, the cost of ammo somewhat limits the shoots that I can afford to attend. [Now, gas is a bigger problem!]  I have friends in a couple of the local SASS posses but have not felt the need to shoot a 4 gun shoot.  Just my choice and absolutely nothing against SASS.  All the SASS folks I have met are great people.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »
Use to belong to both, now I only belong to SASS
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »
There are no NCOWS clubs near me.  if there were, I'd consider joining for a change of pace now and again.  More ways to enjoy CAS don't hurt.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »
Howdy

Ain't no NCOWS around here either. If there was I would probably give it a try.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Smokey Three Toes

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
Here in western Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Old West Shootist has both SASS and NCOWS shoots, I get lots of shooting in during the season..
Smokey Three Toes

FMDR
WOWS
NRA # 145012656
NCOWS # 2468  Working Cowboy
SASS # 67758 Senior Duelist

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »
My heros have always been cowboys. My grandfather came to Montana in 1908 to homestead and my father was born on that homestead in 1910. My father taught me about horses and horsemanship. I have not forgotten what he taught me. The 2 pictures are of my grandfather in Oklahoma in the 1890's, before he went to fight in the Spanish American War. The second is my father in the Yellow Mules near what is now known as Big Sky, Montana, in 1940.

I haven't joined either group, as I don't quite get the enthusiasm to be pretending I'm something I'm not. I don't own a horse anymore and I don't even ride, but I sure do love that way of life. There is a line in the movie "Monte Walsh", and I'm talking of the real movie with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance, where Lee Marvin as Monte, speaks to the owner of the Wild West Show. The promoter wants Monte to put on the clothes of the bronc buster "Texas Jack Butler" and become him in the Wild West show. Monte asks why he can't be himself as Monte Walsh. The promoter explains that no one knows Monte Walsh and he could keep the people happier by being Texas Jack. When Monte puts the hat back on hat rack and the buckskin coat back on the hanger, he said "I ain't spittin' on my whole life."

If you've ever been a cowboy, those words hit you to the core. I guess I've never been much of a belonger, more of an independant sort, but I do appreciate real cowboys. This may not make alot of sense to those who read it, but when you look at the rule books and how complicated it is to pretend to be a cowboy, I'd rather participate at my level and not be part of a Wild West Show.

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 04:55:50 AM »
I prefer NCOWS doctrine... so I'm a member to support though there is no posse anywhere close.

SASS has some fine folks, but is far more Gamey , I was a early member for several years. I was put off by the acceptance locally of Tenny Lamas and Ruger Tee's.
The final straw was the lynch mob on the SASS Wire toward non-members.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »
im wanting to visit a nows shoot myself , i like the pierod corect thought better than how fast & how slow is your fps, the distance to a group is the main hold back . need to plan for it more i guess
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com