Author Topic: NCOWS VS SASS  (Read 15850 times)

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
NCOWS VS SASS
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:52:25 AM »
Is there less importance placed on speed and more on accuracy in NCOWS compared to SASS?
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: NCOWS VS SASS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »
Depends on who you ask.   There is a 10 second penalty for misses in NCOWS which is not present in SASS, so I guess you could say that accuracy is important in NCOWS.  HOWEVER,  there are pards in SASS that go for accuracy more than speed and those in NCOWS that go for speed more than accuracy.  Therefore,  I think it would be a gross simplification to state one group is for speed and the other is for accuracy.   Hope this helps. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »

Don's certainly right, there are always exceptions to any situation. But I'd say it's a safe assumption that NCOWS is focused on accuracy more than speed in a general sense.

As he said, misses count 10 seconds vs. 5 in SASS, so it's even more important to hit the targets. (I like the saying "You can't "miss" fast enough to win.")  ;D)
Secondly, while not tiny or unduly difficult by any means, I think generally NCOWS targets are often slightly smaller and occasionally a bit farther from the line than SASS set-ups.
Additionally, in my experience there are fewer "dump" targets and the like in NCOWS than in SASS, so the emphasis on speed in not as strong or as strongly accommodated IMHO.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:15:15 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:23:04 AM »
Howdy, Roosterman!

Going along with DD and I Dave, yes - generally this is true. 

Just don't say that one mindset is BETTER than the other!  It's all fun!

;D ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »
Nothing wrong with either mindset, both have their followers. Just trying to figure out where I belong is all.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
You clearly belong in NCOWS!!   ;D ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:30:03 PM »
You can't miss fast enough to catch up. ;)

Dave you must read Ross Siegfried also. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
OK, Del, I'll guppy up on this one, as I know I'm going to probably regret it for a loooooooong time...
But who is Ross Siegfried? BTW, I did a Google and came up blank, so enlighten us.
Best regards and please pass the Humble Pie!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. Roosterman, can't wait to jaw with you at a Buffler or Big Bore Shoot this year, I think you'll have a great time!

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »
I'll probably know who alot of you guys are fron our background in muzzleloaders.....I always wondered where all the 18th century guys went..seems they all turned into cowboys! ;D
www.fowlingguns.com

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
Ross Seyfried.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 07:08:42 PM »
Roosterman, I like shooting both. SASS is geared more to speed and the targets are usually up close. NCOWS targets are usually smaller and back a little futher. You have to use your sights. It is more like CAS when I started shooting cowboy. I also like the history of the old west and enjoy dressing the part. In most cases NCOWS  members are not so serious about winning, but more so in the dress and weapons used. Don't get me wrong, they like to shoot and they can shoot. I would like to invite you to our 08 National Shoot. It is the first week of June and will be at the West Side Sportsman Club in Evansville, IN. TJ  Texas Jack Stephens  :)
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
In most cases NCOWS  members are not so serious about winning, but more so in the dress and weapons used.

Why do y'all use timers and penalize misses in NCOWS? ;)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »
OK, Del, I'll guppy up on this one, as I know I'm going to probably regret it for a loooooooong time...
But who is Ross Siegfried? BTW, I did a Google and came up blank, so enlighten us.
Best regards and please pass the Humble Pie!
'Ol Gabe

Ross Seyfried.

OK, I spel bad sometimes.  ;D  Gabe, he's one of the few gunwriters worth reading, like all kinds of interesting old guns and likes to shoot them, and makes sense when he writes. ;D

Former ISPC Champ, said to be the last one who won with what would pass as a street gun, fact is he uses the one he won with as his main carry gun.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
Camillie, I believe that's the rules of the game. TJ  :D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »
Camillie, I believe that's the rules of the game. TJ  :D

So you just run the timer and penalize because that's the rules BUT you don't write it down anywhere or tally them up?  ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 08:10:37 PM »
Why do y'all use timers and penalize misses in NCOWS?

Camille:

That's a legit question.
I could be a smart-aleck and say it's so we can identify and sort out the "gamers,"  ;) but to quote Cy Tolliver,"that would be wrong."

Seriously, while I don't believe the drive to win is the paramount interest for most NCOWS members, that doesn't mean they're not as competitive as the next guy/gal in their own way.

I believe many keep score to follow their own progress in the game and track improvements in their own skills.
As in any sport, I know many have good-natured rivalries among themselves and their pards -- but for most, it's probably more about bragging rights than medals, plaques or buckles. But we like those, too.

And for many members, they do like to compete and take it very seriously. They just prefer the variations that NCOWS provides.

NCOWS welcomes all interests and motivations, provided they're honest and sincere -- and follow the rules.
The NCOWS style is competitive, but it is also focused somewhat more on accuracy as per the examples listed in previous posts.

I don't believe anyone was trying to suggest that folks in NCOWS don't like to do well or don't like to win. I'm sure most certainly do. I think it's just that most I know are not driven by that desire and it doesn't overshadow all the other aspects of our organization.

Just a coupla centavos worth.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
 ;D

Good answer.  In some ways though many NCOWS members are more competitive that even some of the most competitive SASS members.  Referring to the clothing and authenticity competitions combined with shooting compeitions now of course.

It's really hard to compare SASS and NCOWS.  They complement each other more than they compete with each other. :)
― Clint Eastwood

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »
;D

Good answer.  In some ways though many NCOWS members are more competitive that even some of the most competitive SASS members.  Referring to the clothing and authenticity competitions combined with shooting compeitions now of course.

It's really hard to compare SASS and NCOWS.  They complement each other more than they compete with each other. :)

Cammie, you hit the nail on the head!

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »
It's really hard to compare SASS and NCOWS.  They complement each other more than they compete with each other.

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes it's hard for folks to realize that. NCOWS' purpose is not to compete with SASS, but rather to offer an alternative that provides a different philosophical perspective.

I'm sure there are a lot of shooters who belong to both organizations -- or did at one time or another.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 05:06:48 AM »
Camille Eonich, you knew all the time. Thanks for bring it out. Are you coming to our National at Evansville? If you like to shoot we have some side matches you will really enjoy. TJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com