Author Topic: NCOWS VS SASS  (Read 15844 times)

Offline Will Penny

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCOWS VS SASS
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:30:15 AM »
Roosterman, I like shooting both. SASS is geared more to speed and the targets are usually up close. NCOWS targets are usually smaller and back a little futher. You have to use your sights. It is more like CAS when I started shooting cowboy. I also like the history of the old west and enjoy dressing the part. In most cases NCOWS  members are not so serious about winning, but more so in the dress and weapons used. Don't get me wrong, they like to shoot and they can shoot. I would like to invite you to our 08 National Shoot. It is the first week of June and will be at the West Side Sportsman Club in Evansville, IN. TJ  Texas Jack Stephens  :)

So when I show up at a NCOWS event is there going to be clothing police come around and say your hat isn't correct or they wouldn't wear a shirt like that, and I have to admit that I'm really not into cowboy boots, the look good but my feet will not deal with that kind of boot..was thinking more like maybe being a early miner or something different then the cowboy..would be good to know more on the clothing issue before I go out and spend big money that I really don't have..just buying the guns is a bite out of my retirement stash..any advice would be helpful, I am right now doing some research on the west, all my experience was in 18th century muzzle loading and the long-hunter time period, frankly the fashion police are one of the reasons I dropped that..
Will Penny

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
Admit Nothing, deny everything

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »
Camille Eonich, you knew all the time. Thanks for bring it out. Are you coming to our National at Evansville? If you like to shoot we have some side matches you will really enjoy. TJ

Thanks for the invite.  When are the nationals this year?
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
June 5-7th.   Side matches on the 5th and 5 stages on the 6th and 5 stages on the seventh.  Colt match will be run at the end of the day on the 6th and 7th I think.  Ammo is provided for the Colt caliber side matches.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:40:26 AM »

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »
  Will, You certainly won't see the clothing police, and you don't have to wear boots, Brogans or a traditional style mocc.would be fine. If you have been in muzzleloading , you may already have most of what you would need to do a scout impression. Also with NCOWS you only need one revolver, and one rifle to shoot the working cowboy class. The actual clothing minimum requirements are easy to achieve and can be found at <ncows.org>. what part of the country are you from? Maybe someone already an NCOWS member could assist you in selection of gear. Much better to buy right the first time.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 10:19:01 AM »
So when I show up at a NCOWS event is there going to be clothing police come around and say your hat isn't correct or they wouldn't wear a shirt like that, and I have to admit that I'm really not into cowboy boots, the look good but my feet will not deal with that kind of boot..was thinking more like maybe being a early miner or something different then the cowboy..would be good to know more on the clothing issue before I go out and spend big money that I really don't have..just buying the guns is a bite out of my retirement stash..any advice would be helpful, I am right now doing some research on the west, all my experience was in 18th century muzzle loading and the long-hunter time period, frankly the fashion police are one of the reasons I dropped that..

Howdy, Will Penny!

Glad to have you here joining in with the fun and asking questions.  Welcome!!!

There is NO fashion police.  Period.  Cowboy boots, while authentic, weren't the ONLY footwear.  NCOWS provides guidelines, but not many rules.  Here's a link to all the requirements involved: http://www.ncows.org/Bylaws.htm  It's the straight poop.  The first part has to do with the organization itself: about halfway through are the actual do's and don'ts.

First off, if you show up, you are under no obligation to be totally outfitted!  Most folks who actually "show up" and who aren't dressed in shorts, baseball cap and T-shirt can shoot with very little planning.  Another thing is this:  are you talking about your 1st event being a monthly club match, or ... is your first time a visit to the National Shoot?  (It has happened)  We even have a provision for that.  The current Congress even made it possible for a person to join NCOWS (you have to be a member to participate in a National or Regional-level event - insurance reasons) ON THE SPOT - at a reduced rate - and shoot, as long as an ATTEMPT at period clothing was met!  A pair of jeans, a work shirt, any one of several types of hats (or possibly none), and either boots (of several types, including "ropers") or brogan-type workshoes and you're in!  Heck at some shoots, you don't have to have any guns or ammo!  MANY of us in NCOWS (and SASS, too) bring extra guns and ammo "just in case."  Equipment breaks ... pards forget ammo ... or guns  :o  ::) ... and we've been known to share extra guns and ammo to folks who wish to TRY this game!  You'll find that NCOWS AND SASS folks are very generous and love to share - it gives us a chance to show off our toys!  ;)  Heck - many of us carry extra safety glasses and earplugs, too.

You are interested in being a miner?  Great!  Cowboys were actually a small minority of the residents in the old West.  They just get all the glory.  Also, you mentioned equipment:  There is a category in NCOWS called Working Cowboy.  (Forget the Cowboy part  ::) )  All you need is a pistol and a pistol caliber rifle.  Not only is it more authentic to the old West than 2 pistols, a rifle and a shotgun - and the leather involved - it's also a LOT easier on the pocketbook and you can spend more money on bullets!  Which is fun!!!

Stick around here, Will.  You'll hear it all.

Again - glad you "dropped in" and we hope to see and hear more from you!

Jeff  "Steel Horse Bailey"
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »
Will - Howdy again!

I see Trap was faster at typing than me, but he pointed out an important detail I didn't emphasize.  Ask first - it's cheaper to start out with a ONE-Time purchase, rather than buying what you THINK is needed, then finding out different after you get going.

SHB
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Will Penny

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »
Thank you one and all for your answers and suggestions, I agree buy it right the first time, I went through many styles and changes to get my outfit right, guns and all when I did the late 1700--early 1800s time period and I know from past experience that buying and trying is expensive..I have already decide and bought a 38spl. pistol and a 357/38spl. lever rifle gun so hopefully I'm on my way. once again thanks all. :) :)
Will Penny

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
Admit Nothing, deny everything

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »
  Glad you have decided to give us a try . Doubt you'll be dissappointed.
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 05:07:19 PM »
Camillie Eonich, the Nationals will be the first week of June, the dates Dead Eye Don stated. the location will be Evansville, IN. The West Side Sportsman Club will hold the main match on Friday and Saturday. The side matches will be at Red Brush just east of Evansville. This year we will also have a 45 colt championship. Three mini stages each evening following the main match. Friday will be smokless and Saturday will be black powder. Handguns only and the ammo is provided by Black Hills and Black Dawge. Come on out and shoot, we will treat you so many ways you are bound to like one of them. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 07:27:44 PM »
I would love to come and participate.  Heck I would love to come and watch.  Gonna be up at Hooten the first weekend in May.  Evansville is just a bit further. ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »
I would love to come and participate.  Heck I would love to come and watch.  Gonna be up at Hooten the first weekend in May.  Evansville is just a bit further. ;D

That would be great.  It would be nice to meet you.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »
And you won't have the hour it takes to get from a 4 land highway into Hooten!! ::) ;D ;D ;)  I'd like for you to come.  If'n you can get on my posse, you can shoot my 73 in 45LC which is NCOWS legal.  We can probably arrange that! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com