Author Topic: boot Question  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Compass Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
boot Question
« on: March 22, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I am looking at getting some cloths together for SASS matches and have a boot question.
I already own these

I know the left pair is OK, but they are my dress boots, hate to mess them up in the mud/dirt.  would the pair on the right be OK?  Do I need to remove the metal rings?  if so, do you think the straps that are attached to the rings are functional or just for looks?
My character is not loaded (kind of like my real self)

Compass Will
SASS 79000

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: boot Question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »
They're strictly for looks.

Slice them away neatly and dye the cut edges.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:49:32 AM »
Howdy

That type of boot was very popular when I was in my twenties. You too? Yes the ring is decorative and serves no practical purpose.

No, you do not need to slice the rings away if you don't want to. There is nothing at all wrong with those boots, no restriction against that type of boot in CAS except possibly in the costume categories. A lot of guys start out with that type of boot if that's all they have laying around in their closet. Later on you may want to buy a more 'traditional' pair of cowboy boots, but there is no rule against that type of boot.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:58:54 AM »

Offline Compass Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »

Howdy

That type of boot was very popular when I was in my twenties. You too? Yes the ring is decorative and serves no practical purpose.

Actually they were popular when I was in High school (mid 70's).  But I was never allowed to own them back then.  ;D

I bought them for riding my BMW motorcycle.  I wasn't sure if the straps really did anything, I know my heal sticks at the point when it hits the strap area taking them off, figured the strap might be to make them harder to come off if I dumped the bike.

I wish I could ride the bike to the CAS matches, I don't have a problem riding in a costume, but I don't think the local LEO's would like me putting an 1892 and a sxs in scabbards on the bike.
Now if I could just come up with a hitch for the BMW. I could build a light trailer shaped like a coffin that I could tow to the match, then use as a gun cart once there.  Problem is the price of the Hitch would buy for a lot of diesel for the pickup so the break even point would be to high.

as for the straps, maybe I will hem my pants long enough to hide them in the beginning.
thanks everyone.
SASS 79000

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• Top Active Citizen
  • ~Aggravator Emeritus~
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
Get a Taylor's takedown 1892.
The sxs already breaks down.
Separated long guns in one saddlebag with something covering the parts that stick out, and pistols and ammo in the other.
Hat is a difficulty, but not insurmountable.

Ride that iron horse!
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:53:46 PM »
I am planning on getting two pair of those harness boots. A brown pair and a black pair.  My problem is that I have large legs and will need to modify the tops. I can't wear the shooter style because the tops are too tall.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Compass Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
I am planning on getting two pair of those harness boots. A brown pair and a black pair.  My problem is that I have large legs and will need to modify the tops. I can't wear the shooter style because the tops are too tall.

both pair of boots shown are by chippewa boots.  Plus I have a pair of of laceup with the same higher heals as these boots.  Love my Chippewa boots.  If you have a place around that sells them, go try some on. 

Good thought about the break down guns.  I have a top case on my BMW that the hat will fit into.  I bought it because my full coverage helmet can lock in it while the bike sits at the train station.  As far as lead, you have to load it correct.  200 rounds of 45 and a bunch of shotgun in one saddle bag can throw the center of gravity off!
SASS 79000

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com