Author Topic: corn cob media  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
corn cob media
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:32:17 PM »
Can you clean cob media ...and how? I use it in my tumbler , being cheap I 'd rather spend my money on powder and primers then replace it. Is there anything you can add to it or can it be washed and dried somehow??
Appreciate the replies
dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Poker Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: corn cob media
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:41:36 AM »

Get one of those dryer fabric softener sheets, cut it into 1X2 or so pieces and add it to the media when you tumble. It seems to pull a lot of the dirt out.

PJ

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:09:09 AM »
There's a solution called, I believe, "Flitz" or similar that you dump a capful or two into the medium and it helps to rejuvenate it.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:34:19 AM »

Offline Compass Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
I threw a wet paper towel in once (with no brass in it) and ran it for about 1/2 hour.  It came out black so it must have been cleaning something.  I bought some corncob media that is used for kitty litter.  It is a little big and sticks in the 32 winchester specials, but no problem with 45 colts.  Tried to run it through an old food processor and just made a mess.  I will keep my eyes open for a smaller grade kitty litter next.
SASS 79000

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »
A fellow I knew would use his wife's old stockings.  Filled it up with the dirty media and put it in a bucket filled with water and laundry detergent.  He just sat there for a while, agitating and a squeezing the "bag".  He then rinsed it out and simply hung it up to air dry.  This was the green, treated media and after the washing, you could actually see the green color coming through.

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:31:04 AM »
Howdy :)...I have found that I can use the same media for about 6 months or so by adding a few capfulls of Filtz , Dillon, or other polishing additives before tumbling each bunch of brass. It doesn't clean the media but keeps the brass coming out nice and new looking. I guess, that by buying my media (either corn cob or walnut) in bulk from a pet supply it's cheaper to change it more often than try to clean it.
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
Lyman makes a media re-juvinator I don't recall the name of it but it works quite well.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 04:15:02 PM »
Ok Why bother  ??? Go to Wally world and pick up some of their litter like $2 for a large bag.  ::) I used it for a while but switched to Lizard litter from the pet store. All crushed walnut shells I have had the same litter in the tumbler for 3 months and it stays pretty clean.  8) Got some Lymans polish to add to it now and then keep everything shiny.  :-*
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 06:08:09 PM »
Yer cleaning your media?

Dang...I've been using the same media that I bought from Midway about 10 years ago in a 5-gal container.  It still gets the brass clean.  I rejuvenate it every few weeks with a capful of Flitz.

SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com