Author Topic: toothpaste smoothing  (Read 2287 times)

Offline New Salem Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
toothpaste smoothing
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »
How do you do a toothpaste smoothing job?

Offline Whiskey Hayes

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: toothpaste smoothing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:34:53 PM »
Years ago Colgate was the only toothpaste gritty enough to be a decent bore cleaner.  I'm not sure about now.  I never tried to smooth an action with it.  I would use the finest valve grinding compound the parts house sold.  You need to take the gun apart, liberally apply the compound to metal parts that rub and work the action alot (100's of times).  Once your done, take the gun apart, clean off the compound, lube and reassemble.

I personally would recommend shooting the gun enough to make high spots shine, take the gun apart, stone the high spots, lube, reassemble and shoot some more.  This method is a lot more enjoyable because it requires you to shoot the gun more and a lot less disassembley/reassembly.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
The Swedish brand Vademacum (sp?) had a high pumice content.
A lot of those abrasive toothpastes fell off the market because people were polishing their enamel away which would actually promote dental caries.
 I would think the compound for lapping barrels would do the same, also.

(DISCLAIMER: The following statement is tongue-in-cheek, for those who hire Lawyers to do their commonsense thinking. ::))
Heck, oil up your innards of your action and sprinkle some of that fine ball-diamond dirt that builds up around home plate and it will do the same thing. ;) That's what happens anyway naturally.

Cycling the action even dry repeatedly, like the man said, will smooth it out somewhat.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:43:53 AM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »
hOWDY Pard

If you just want to smooth up the action a bit , and the gun is not messed up inside , you'll need toTotally degrease your gun and blow dry it , then use what they sell on this firum , it,s called Gun Butter, I use this on my guns and it does a Dynamite job for me , this is really good stuff , and you will notice the difference right away, you just have to make sure to degrease it really well, before oiling .

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com