Wanted ringing ear remedys

Started by John Barleycorn, October 16, 2007, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barleycorn

Have any shooters found a remedy for tinnitus that actually works. I'm a little hesitant to spend the money on a product called "ring stop" until I have some people (other than on their site) recommend it. Is there anything else out there worth trying? please advise, the ringing in my left ear has become intolerable. I have moved up to custom injection-molded hearing protection to prevent any further damage. Thanks in advance,  JB
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Doc Shapiro

I suggest you go see an audiologist and get some professional advice.

Good luck!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy John
            I had a problem with my left ear ringing , and it was a pain in the ?/?//? I lived with it until I got an ear ache, and when it didn't go away I went to see my Doctor, and guess what it turned out to be an accumulation of WAX , as soon as he removed it, I started feeling better in about 20 mimutes, and no more ringing, he says this happens to people all the time. I don't know if this is your problem , but you might want to see a doctor... :-\ take care and I hope you feel better :)

Ten Wolves 
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dr. Bob

Howdy,

I have had tinnitus since I left active duty in the Army in 1968.  I can mostly ignore it now, but I "hear" cicadas all year round. :(  I have quite a bit of hearing loss in my left ear as well.  Was shooting indoor small bore rifle and high power service rifle from mid HS through college [4-5 nights a week Sept. - May] and service rifle in the Army.  Haven't tried any of them, and will be interested in what others have to say!

Have often had wax build up, but it has not changed the level of ringing that I experience.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

John Barleycorn

Saw the Doc when the ringing and dizziness started about a year ago when I had three severe vertigo episodes, only one bout of vertigo since, but the ringing continues. The ear doc found nothing, same with audiologist, just some minor hearing loss in the high and low scales,but he did Rx Antivert for the vertigo episodes.
  I shot guns from the time my dad thought I could hold one proper bout 6 or 7 I guess, didn't know about or use hearing protection till I joined the Army in 86 guess I'm paying the price now.
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Arcey

As much of my hearin' problems come from my habit of rippin' speakers out of my trucks with rock as loud as I could get it as it has shootin'.  That 'n doin' live concert security when I was younger.  Much younger...........

Last visit the audiologist told me I had what I had, no fixin' it, hold what I got.  Have two pair of custom molded plugs.  Use headphone types at the indoor 'n they do well less some fool wants ta shoot a hand held Tyrannosaurus Rex thing.

As I understand it once the hearin' is damaged, it's damaged.  I'd, 'n this is just me, get ta the doc while I still can before we get socialized 'health care' 'n it takes ya forever ta see one.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Delmonico

Same problem here, no fix, to much hammering, Rock Music, shooting and other things.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

My hearing is good, except that my tinitus is too loud!

NOW I use both earplugs and muffs.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Ozark Tracker

I've always got cricket's in the ears, summer or winter, I hear pretty good, if it's a little on the loud side, it's low speaking I have a problem with, seems like certain ranges of tones.

went to the doctor and he said it is what it is, said it was probably years of sitting on a John Deere diesel tractor  and shooting all my life with no ear protection,  when I was a kid I don't even think we  had hearing protection.  :o ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Stophel

My ears ring always.  I have had tinnitis all my life.  I tone it out most of the time, but when it's quiet...the ringing is incredible.  Which is why I HAVE to sleep with a fan on.  When I was small, I stayed with my grandparents a lot.  I remember hating to go to bed, since I slept in one of my uncle's former rooms, which was way back in the back of the house, far away from the central heating/air, and it was dead quiet, other than the clock that was way in the front of the house, which wasn't enough.  It was always hard for me to go to sleep.

Rifles/shotguns don't make my ears ring, and have never bothered me, and I never wear earplugs when shooting them.  Pistols, though, do, and I always wear earplugs when shooting pistols.  I haven't fired a pistol without plugs in many years, and even then, only a very few times.  I don't like not being able to hear for the rest of the day...

"Lipoflavenoids" have been advertised lately as being able to alleviate tinnitis.  Haven't tried it, but I can imagine that it is BS.
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Delmonico

Noise don't have to ring your ears to damage them, a steady tone also don't have to be that loud to damage them, one reason the old open cab reactors were so hard on hearing.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Mason Stillwell

I have the steady ringing in my ears. It is very loud. BUT I cannot stand sharp noise. It really hurts my ears.
When someone is talking to me and there is any background noise I can hear their speech but cannot understand what the words are. Watching TV is a real challenge .Wife is ready to kill me. The ringing is almost more than I can stand when it is quite.

No cure , DARN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Howdy Doody

Doc Shapiro has some good advice there. Everyones ears and conditions are a bit different. I had a period a couple years ago of ringing ears for days after a shoot. I was timing a lot too then. At the time I wore custom made ear plugs. I understand they go south after a while, but it was suggested that the cheap old foam type plugs work better than most other things and I found that the ones that they had at work were rated at 33 decibel reduction and started wearing them. I try and limit timing folks since you get a lot of noise others aren't subjected to. I haven't had any repeat ringing since, knock on wood.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Dr. Bob

Howdy Howdy Doody,

Would that wood be yer head?? ;D ;) :o ;D  Would be mine! ;D ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Before spending any money on any quack medicines I strongly recommend you see an audiologist.

I have a pretty constant ringing in my left ear, it sounds like running water most of the time. Another friend has tinnitus so bad it is painful and sometimes makes him ill. A qualified audiologist can test you and find out exactly what your hearing loss is. He may or may not be able to do anything about it, but you should consult with one first anyway.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

buck

There are some high frequency sounds I cant hear.  I can hear a deer fart a hundred yards away, but I cant hear my wife talking to me.   ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hey Buck  ;D ;D

I've got the same problem , my Doctor says this is perfectly normal, and that men tend to build up a sound barrier to there wife's voice over time, needless to say my better half wasn't too happy about what the Doctor had to say. I must say I don't mind this condition at times :D ;D
                                                        Have a good day Buck , and enjoy your condition ;)

Ten Wolves  :) ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Buffalow Red

WIFE FINALY NAGGED ME TO GO SEE HEARING DOC this summer i didnt realize the ringing wasnt normal i had it all my life no cure just herring aides that make it louder
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Howdy Doody

Quote from: Dr. Bob on October 18, 2007, 10:22:21 AM
Howdy Howdy Doody,

Would that wood be yer head?? ;D ;) :o ;D  Would be mine! ;D ::) ;D

Uh, Dr. Bob, whatareyasayin' that it is possible termite damage in my case? Could be yaknow. I know I have some dry rot going too at 64 years old.

;D ;D ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Pitspitr

Mine sounds kinda like the test pattern squeal that came on after the TV station went off the air, only higher pitch. (Kids wouldn't understand what I mean by that, would they?)

First came on after I had a really bad ear infection when I was 8 or 9. I gotta be real careful about my ears now as I get ear infections real easy now, I've had so many that every time a doctor looks in my left ear he always ends up asking, "How do you hear anything with that much scar tissue in your ear?"

I've pretty much always wore hearing protection since I started shooting but the old "M"s & "H" Internationals (tractors) have done their share of damage too.

I guess I'm lucky, I've had tinnitus so long I learned to ignore it. Kids are resilient that way.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com