Author Topic: Woods Walk??  (Read 5016 times)

Offline J.R. Logan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Woods Walk??
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
 ???  Hope this is not another stupid ?? but what is a Woods Walk?  I have saw this on a couple of sites now but still do not have a clear picture of what it is.

Thanks for the help

J. R. Logan new guy 2959.

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Woods Walk??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:57:13 PM »
A woods walk is a shooting scenario usually laid out along a trail through the woods.  The shooter has to locate and hit various targets, representing game animals or enemies.  There may also be "friendly" targets, so the shooter has to identify something positively before shooting at it.  A woods walk might also test your other outdoor skills, such as identifying animal tracks, or starting a fire.  Lots of possibilities, and usually lots of fun!

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:58:35 PM »
The easiest way to set one of these up is in a creek bed, ravine etc so there's a backstop on both sides.  Targets are randomly arranged, possibly even hidden, along the length of the course and you walk from one end to the other engaging as many targets as you can find and hit.  Sorta like rabbit huntin' for steel targets.  I've yet to talk to anyone who didn't think they were a great load of fun.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:13:59 AM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:56:20 PM »
Plus, as they are not usually timed they require accuracy only.  They are done on the honor system as well.   I am really looking forward to trying it out.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »
.... A woods walk might also test your other outdoor skills, such as identifying animal tracks, or starting a fire....

Grizzle Bear

Thank God this is the late 19th century where I can whip out my match safe...., at a colonial event every one can break for lunch when I pull out flint and steel.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »
JR...
The fellas have explained what a woods walk consists of pretty darn good.....Ours will be simpler since this will be our first shoot. It will consist of ten steel targets at various distances as outlined in my original post...it will be up to the shooter to calculate the distance. Oh...no range finders please.

As Deadeye pointed out you are on your honor as far as scoring is involved. We'll probably do this in three or four man (or Ladies) squads with one shot only at the target, hit or miss. You will be required to score each others score sheet...no timers.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:01:23 PM »
Kind of like when we were in school...scoring each others tests!!
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »
Are you going to have the shooters "toe the mark" for each shot?
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »
 The creek bed thing is ok,unless, there is a magnitude of rain before the shoot. Then we could do it from a boat or a canoe.(currently the creek here is running over)
  We have it set up to have 4 stages with claybirds in our timber. Talk about challenge. Everyone likes it though and we have had requests to have it again.
Kayleen

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:58:07 PM »
Are you going to have the shooters "toe the mark" for each shot?

Dutch....they're going to have to FIND the targets first..... :D :D

The creek bed thing is ok,unless, there is a magnitude of rain before the shoot. Then we could do it from a boat or a canoe.(currently the creek here is running over)
  We have it set up to have 4 stages with claybirds in our timber. Talk about challenge. Everyone likes it though and we have had requests to have it again.
Kayleen

Kayleen....I really like that idea...

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »
The easiest way to set one of these up is in a creek bed...

Maybe a creek lined with man eatin' crocs & full of pirahnahs!! Throw in a few hostiles firing arrows (no compound "gamer" bows!!) down onto you. That'd be a great "woods walk". You go first L.G., I'll be a counter!!  ;D :o ;)

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34:09 PM »
OCB,
  Last year at the GAF muster and shoot, we had the house boat on the pond and the guys could shoot a side mach from the boat as it cruised along. Totally awesome in the evening when they shot BP.
Plans are to do it again this year, as there will be fewer and fewer shoots at this range since CVR has opted to go else where.
Kayleen

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:44:18 AM »
I came across this thread and was fascinated by the concept. I can't find any reports on recent ones.

Are these kind of stages still being done? Are there any kind of "best practices" or "how-to-set-up-a- woods-walk" web pages out there (I haven't been able to find any)?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:55 PM »
OCB,
  Last year at the GAF muster and shoot, we had the house boat on the pond and the guys could shoot a side mach from the boat as it cruised along. Totally awesome in the evening when they shot BP.
Plans are to do it again this year, as there will be fewer and fewer shoots at this range since CVR has opted to go else where.
Kayleen

They have a side match at one of the missouri club's annual match like that. It was 40 targets, engage them with whatever firearm you choose. When I did it, I emptied both pistols first, then started on the rifle......and it jammed after about 7 or 8 shots. That left 22 or so targets for the shotgun, since I was using C&B and couldn't reload the pistols. 20+ rounds of black powder in a shotgun means some REALLY hot barrels! But it was a lot of fun anyway!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 03:56:59 AM »
Sounds fun to me, too!

And Hot!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com