Author Topic: open top holsters  (Read 16001 times)

Offline Lightnin Rick

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
open top holsters
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:10:10 PM »
i would like to see some photos of hoslters for opentops.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
Re: open top holsters
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:48:38 PM »
I'm sure the pards will post some for you... You can browse thru the leathersmith forum ..
The OT just screams Slim Jims or maybe Mex loop....
I use Slim Jims...

If you pickup a copy of "Packing Iron" by Rattenbury ...Zion Press
You will have a great time.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 04:25:29 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth. Most of the CAS holsters today are crap IMO and not authentic. For example, I'm sure a few existed but I've seen few original Old West holsters that were lined and most were suspect. Packing Iron is a good reference source. Slim jims were predominant until the 1880's by far. If you want a personna before the 1880's choose an authentic slim jim. For later choose a quality Mexican Loop. Please don't buy a "Coca Cola Cowboy" buscadero type holster. For the money, one of our sponsors here, http://www.carricoleather.com/, makes superb (read authentic) holsters for the money. I have two and his Fair Weather Christian belt is top notch as well. As a note, almost all the Old West holsters I saw in the Texas Ranger Museum were slim jims.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:11:24 PM »

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »
Being an historically fussy guy in general I first bought a pair of SLim Jims from Oklahoma Leather.  Inexpensive.  Attractive and perfectly functional.  But I also like nice leather products, well, except for those zippered masks and such, so was looking.  I got a great deal on some Tombstone Leather holsters (double strong side) so I bought them.  They look and feel great and the OTs go in and out without any snags.  I wear the belt (no loops) backward with the shotgun slide in front and a knife on my right hip.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:16:34 PM »
Nice guns, nice leather, nice photos, Seth.  Who engraved the Henry?
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »
Enclosed is a photo of my leather for my conversions.  One the 1860 Colt Army RM Conversion, the other a Colt Open Top. The pistol on top a Richards Conversion.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 10:50:33 PM »
I don't have any pictures of mine, but I use a pair of Old West Reproduction Slim Jims for my 1860 Armies.  Open tops of any discription would work well in them.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 06:55:33 AM »

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »
THE BEST ONE'S I HAVE LOOKED AT SO FAR AND THERE ARE MANY I  HAVE NOT LOOKED AT BUT I LIKE CARRICO'S WORK AND OLD WEST REPRODUCTIONS....VERY HIGH QUALITY WORK. OLD WEST REPRODUCTIONS IS MY FAV AT THIS POINT BUT CARICO'S PRICES ARE A LITTLE BETTER....REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. BEWARE OF SAN PEDRO SADDLERY IN TOMBSTONE,AZ THEY CHARGE YOUR CARD AND DON'T SEND THE PRODUCT AND WON'T RETURN E-MAILS(OWNED AND RUN BY ED DOUGLAS)I BET I HAVE SENT 5 E-MAILS AND CALLED AT LEAST 3 TIMES.....WITH NO RESPONSE. DUSTY PS: IF ANY OF YOU PARDS KNOW HOW TO REACH ED DOUGLAS OR SAN PEDRO PLEASE E-MAIL ME OR PM ME,THANKS IN ADVANCE.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 06:35:43 AM »
I just ordered a rig from Carricos. I am very hopeful about his work and turn around time.  I was using El Paso Saddlery, but had a "run in" with whoever answers the phone there regarding turn around time.  It took 5 months to get some tooling done on a cap pouch when they orignially told me it would take 2 months.  I got nothing but attitude, so I took my money elsewhere.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

PS good luck with Big ED.  You will need it.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:10:10 AM »
I just ordered a rig from Carricos. I am very hopeful about his work and turn around time.  I was using El Paso Saddlery, but had a "run in" with whoever answers the phone there regarding turn around time.  It took 5 months to get some tooling done on a cap pouch when they orignially told me it would take 2 months.  I got nothing but attitude, so I took my money elsewhere.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

know and delt with Dave ( Carrico's) for years , (Horse & Cavalry Tack) I have one of his Slim Jims too , it is one of my favorites.
It's the light colored one with the 4 guns , you won't be sorry.....  ;D

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
Howdy, Pard,

I'd suggest consulting the book "Packing Iron" for style.  Also take a look at Dennis Adler's book, "Metallic Cartridge Conversions". Then go to www.gunfighter.com and look at some of the makers listed on their home page.  Some will be suitable and some won't.  (And, to be totally above board on this, my website is piggybacked on the Gunfighter Zone.  But do the research first, and then look around.)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »

Deadeye Don....have you had dealings with Big Ed? Do you have a phone number on him? It appears I'm getting ripped on my order(five months on a plain Jane holster &belt) so....any feedback would be a great help. He won't return phone calls to his shop,won't return e-mails even to give me my status....just charged my visa. Dusty.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »
I have not had any personal dealings with Big Ed.  However, he is a frequent topic of discussion on the SASS website.  There are alot of people in your situation.  He charged their credit card and alot have been waiting up to 2 years.  He is extremely hard to contact (on purpose I think).  You might go over to the SASS website and ask the question of how to contact him.  Someone might be able to help you.  I did see one posting about 2 months ago where he actually responded saying he was still in business and asked for  people to be patient.  In the meantime he has had peoples money in his bank account.  Patience has  limits I think.  I feel your pain.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 05:26:09 PM »
Oh my God! Two years? That is not a back order or anything close to that....that's a rip off...I guess I can kiss my money good by....it's been a long time since I have been ripped on the web but it does happen from time to time....I 'm in the same state so I can report him to the better business people....I think I will have to get in line. How does he stay in business? People let him get away with it? Really weird if you ask me. Well,this does not sound like fun at all and gives this hobby a bad name....thanks Don,Dusty.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 07:50:05 PM »
I am entirely too flighty in my interests to wait two years for anything.  That is what has kept me from buying a Shiloh Sharps or Cody Ballard.  I can get almost instant graification buying other single shots off Gunbroker, and as for holsters, c'mon, it's a holster.  Just buy something off the shelf.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 07:51:04 AM »
Dusty....it was an off the shelf item....a plain jane slim Jim and belt...he could have done both in one afternoon :'(

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 08:00:07 AM »
Well that's just wrong!

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »
Nothing gets a point across to a business better than voting with your money. 

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 12:52:18 PM »
You can always learn to make it yourself.  Then you don't have to deal with others.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com