Author Topic: Help picken the right gun  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Thorswings

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help picken the right gun
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
Hello,
  Been looking and reading up on several different pistols and would like some input from those in the know.  First I need to tell  you that I want something that isnt going to need a lot of tinkering or messing around with.  I aint mechanicaly inclined and if I cant fix it with a sledge hammer it aint going to get fixed (drives my wife crazy everytime I reach for it).  Anyway I have a pair of Vaqueros that I like but the wife is going to use them so I wanted something different.  The problem is that no one, and I mean no one, in my area carries any of these so it makes it darn hard just to order them.  But after reading about some of them on the Storm page and doing some other reading I am now looking for some more input.
Thanks,
Narrowed down to:
1872 open top (either the navy or the army... have average size hands so either one should be ok)
1851 Richard/mason conv.
1860 Richard/mason conv.
Type II Richards conv.

Guess I am just looking for the one that would be better than the other... I know, depends on which one you own but any feedback would be apriciated.
Thanks,
Roy

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
Re: Help picken the right gun
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
All the guns you mentioned are great, fun guns, but need a little care and feeding after some shooting. So I fear that you may be disappointed.  OF all of them, I would think the open top may be the best for you, but. . .

It is very hard to beat Rugers for durability and dependability.  You could get some Colt clones and have an action job - just to lighten the springs and make sure the guns will last a lot longer. 

And I always recommend that you try find local folks with guns so you can feel them and try them out.  Best place for that is your local shoot, normally.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:05:56 PM »
You can forget about the Richards Type 11 for now as they arent even in the country yet.   I believe another 60 to 90 days out.........is the word from Cimarron.  But hey they said that 6 months ago too.  Good luck finding any of the conversions right now.  Nobody seems to have them.   The open tops are fantastic guns.  I have one and plan to shoot it in my next match.  Mine works fine right out of the Cimarron cardboard box.  I second the viewpoint of Marauder.  People at matches would be happy to have you try out their guns.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:13:36 AM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
What Maruader and Dan said. You might want to look at the model Ps with an action job. If the wife has small hands the 51 navy or model P jr, are both nice. I got a pair of Lightings for my lady cause she wants to try GF but she usually shots Gauchos. The best thing to do is go to a few shoots and let her try a few to see what feels right to her. Pards will be glad to let her shoot thiers. Find a good smith to tune up what ever you decide on. Good luck.

Jefro,  Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
Either way you go, sooner or later you will want the others.

Personally, Open Top guns are about all that captures my interest. But, im not driven to win, just love to shoot what I like to shoot. If one is a 'gamer' , granted the ot's might not be the best choice. Id look at a taylors or cimarron uberti model P with a 4 3/4 barrel ,perhaps  with it 'slicked' up then...if you want to replace the stock springs,,about 30 extra dollars and a call to Brownells, and you have a world class revolver second to none and it is historical correct in deminisons and specs.

Marshal Deadwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com