Author Topic: Help a new guy get some leather.  (Read 2018 times)

Offline CallsHimselfDan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help a new guy get some leather.
« on: May 13, 2007, 04:58:56 PM »
So the time has finally come to shop for cowboy action gear. I've been reading and researching and drooling over cowboy movies, CAS websites and these forums for a couple years now, and I've finally got a little more money and a little less debt, so it's time to start gathering gear. 

Yesterday, I made my first cowboy action gun purchase.  A well used, but solid Ruger Vaquero in .357.  This ruggedly handsome fellow right here:

I'm in a good state for this stuff, and I'm sure I'll be able to get an equally good deal on a partner for this dude  soon enough.  First though, I want some leather. 

I've been hunting for guns long enough that I know what to expect price-wise, but leather's another thing entirely.  I'd like to find a good price on a good holster and belt with cartridge loops.  The catch is, I want to buy online, but quality is tough to spot on a webpage.  I learned the hard way that it doesn't take much for ugly to look good when photographed for the internet.  Damn online dating sites.

Anyway, I'd like some help getting started shopping for good leather on a budget.  All I'm lookingofor is a sturdy belt with loops for .357 and a simple, simple holster.  A slimjim, maybe.  Nothing fancy, just functional and well-made.  Preferably a belt with room for a second, cross draw holster later.  I'm on a tight budget, so the cheapest I can get without sacrificing quality will make me a happy dude.

What do you say, my new friends, where should I start?

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
Re: Help a new guy get some leather.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »
Find a local leather worker.
Tell him what you want, get what you want.
Forget the internet.

OR
Email Trailrider (found on this site)
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 06:40:16 PM »
Dan you won't be dissapointed with anything made by Kirkpatrick leather. I bought my Longhunter rig right here at the CAS City store...delivery in 2 weeks...superb quality. There are lots of excellent leather makers and the decision was difficult for me but I'm extremely satisfied with my rig from Kirkpartick.

ps: I have no connection at all with CAS City...just a satisfied customer.
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:25 AM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »
Hey Dan, Kempf has complete rigs by San Pedro, Tombstone and Hunter for a tight budget. They have a lot of other stuff and are great people to deal with. Kirkpatrick is a great product if you want to spend a few extra bucks now. Good luck.
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/cowboyaction/leather/completerigs/combobelt.html

Jefro,   Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 02:47:51 AM »
Howdy Pards and Pardettes.

C H Dan Pard, you probablly won't be happy with cheap leather no one ever really is.  Instead lets set what would be reasonable prices for a rig as components. 

I would say that a holster should run about $75.00, That won't get a top of the line carved holster, but a good solid maybe border stamped rig.  I would suggest that a gunbelt ought to cost between $125.00 and $150.00, depending on style and the number of bullet loops.  You can go less on the shotgun belt and get a heavy web one for between $45.00 and $65.00.  Of course you can always hang your holsters on the canvas shotgun belt, and get a belt slide to hold pistol and or rifle ammo.

All of this will depend on your shooting catagory, of couse B' Western will cost more cause all them spots got to be put on by hand.

That is all I think I know.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com