Author Topic: Steel targets  (Read 2124 times)

Offline crossdraw

• Top Active Citizen
  • RATS #361
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Steel targets
« on: May 06, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »
I am interested in making a steel target for my range. Does anyone have any info on regulation target size, thickness, and mounting. At a NCOWS clinic I saw knockdown resettable targets for the shotgun range and would like to know how those are made.
I read that steel targets should be angled down 15 degrees but I don't know if that is necessary for a .45 cal.

I am ready to get started am open for any suggestions.

Thanks
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline ML Roak

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Steel targets
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:54:48 AM »
Hello,
standard SASS target size I think is 18" by 18" (for now anyway), for a practice target i like 10" circles.  You can make targets out of 3/8" but unless you use A.R. grade plate, 1/2" will last a lot longer.  Don't shoot jacketed ammo at them and they last a LOT longer.
There are as many shotgun knockdown designs as there are people who build them, google is your friend.
Good luck,
ML

Offline crossdraw

• Top Active Citizen
  • RATS #361
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:26:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply ML.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:56:19 AM »

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 09:13:47 AM »
If you can afford it, it is good to have some of the "standard" size to practice speed as well as some smaller ones to practice.  The smaller targets help you hit quickly once you get used to them.

At least that is what the Big Boys who actually practice have told me. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com