Author Topic: price of .45 colt ammo  (Read 23655 times)

Offline greenwood county cowboy

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
price of .45 colt ammo
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:46:54 PM »
at the end of 2006 .45colt was about 14.99 now after 2007 started it ran to 25.00!! what happened

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: price of .45 colt ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »
the war...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:05:15 PM »
do you think it will go down or will i have to start reloading

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:53:42 AM »

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 09:41:04 PM »
start reloading

the price of metals has gone up...like brass and copper and lead and steel...everything!  I saw .45 colt cowboy loads for $28.00.  You can reload for about one third the cost.  After you get set up with equipment and components.  Buy in bulk.

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:53:08 PM »
I'm placing an order for dies and oregon bullets tomarrow, in .45lc

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
$14.99 for 45 Colt?

Pard, that's a fantastic price. Are you sure that wasn't a special? I've never seen them that cheap anywhere. I'm not surprised they cost you more now. No, I doubt if the price will ever go back down. Why would it? The price of all metals, including brass and lead is up. You can blame that on a little thing called Supply and Demand. China is buying huge amounts of lead and copper. When demand goes up, so does price. That's the Law of Supply and Demand. Smokeless powder is made from petroleum. We all know what the price of that is doing these days.

When I started shooting CAS around 2000 I was paying anywhere between $18.00-$25.50 for 45 Colt and 44-40. That's per box of 50. I knew that shooting 45 Colt and 44-40 at those prices I would be starting to reload real soon. I did.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

• 14 year old gun slick
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »
yup in the cabelas book i was lookin at the prices and they used to 14.99 in ultra max cow boy load. i reload shot gun shells is it the same with rifle

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »
Well no, reloading metallic cartridges is not much like reloading for shotgun, other than the fact that they both use gunpowder.

I started loading shotgun before I learned how to load metallic, so I know where you're coming from.

With shotgun, you pop out the old primer, pop in a new one, dump in the powder, then a plastic wad, then compress, then dump in the the shot, and then you crimp. With metallic you pop out the old primer, resize the case, pop in a new primer, bell the case mouth, pour in the powder, then seat and crimp the bullet.

The fact that you are reforming a brass case with metallic makes all the details different from loading plastic shotgun shells. The primers are different, there is no wad, and crimping a metallic case is completely different than crimping a shotgun hull. Plus the equipment is completely different.

The best thing to do if you are thinking of getting into metallic reloading is to buy a good manual and read up on the process. I recommend the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Offline PlacitasSlim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:32:03 PM »
If you haven't ordered your dies yet, I would suggest you pay a little extra for carbide dies. You won't have to lube the cases when resizing ;D

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:15:21 PM »
My 2 cents.

Go high quality equipment early!  (eg go expensive early)

The day I turned 21 I bought my 1st 45 auto.  Kind of a righ of manhood passage, that and I was on track for a commission in the Marines.   My 1st box of 45 ammo was $8.99  (yep  it was a Looooong time ago.  It lastes exactly 4 minutes and 32 seconds.  I went back to the gun store thinking, man this is gonna get expensive.  So I had the sales clerk talk me into reloading.   I started out with a lee loader.  The old kink where you had to have a hammer.  It was basic, but not real fast and what a pain.  Then I graduater to a lyman single stage press. regular dies.  Faster, but still,  then got a turret press.  on and on and after 30 years of loading, I now own a progressive.  Its a hodge podge of RCBS piggy back 2, hogdon parts, pact scales, and about a dozen other manufactures.  Believe me, bite the bullet early, decide on just how involved you want to go, and equip up early.  It will save you a bundle in the long run.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 12:25:04 AM »
I just reloaded 200 rounds of .45. By my calculations not counting equipment and brass cost. I wil save $400 per thousand at todays prices. With that in mind I just purchased a 550 b Dillon press. I will still keep my rcbs and lee presses for small lots of other cals.

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
Dillon is probably the premier in presses.  If you ever think about reloading bottle neck rifle,  plus the extra place for dye, you might want to go with the 650.

I thought about Dillion myself, and eventually will upgrade.  But I sure like the 5 station press over the 4 station

NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 01:12:03 PM »
If you haven't ordered your dies yet, I would suggest you pay a little extra for carbide dies. You won't have to lube the cases when resizing ;D

No, you don't have to but you'll get a heck of a lot more loading done if you do. :D

Anybody who has ever run new Starline brass through a resizer will know exactly what I'm talking about. :)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Marshall Mims

• Watching the Store
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 03:28:23 AM »
Pards,

Two WRONG ideas about reloading - 1. You can't get ahead of the cost of equipment cuz' you'll keep buying more equipment for reloading (not true for many of us). 2. You got to buy the most expensive rig (don't think so, I'm so cheap that my boots squeak before I even git my hands on 'em). Truth is - it's a fraction of the cost of factory loads to reload yer own bullets and when ya load at reasonable pressures, the cases can last a long, long, time. Get cha a real good mentor, a good plan and you'll save tons of nickels!
NRA, RBRR, RATS #335

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »
I just loaded some .45 ammo last night in new brass.  The brass cost retail is over $8 a box.  Primers and powder run another $1.50.  IF ya cast yer own bullets from free wheelweights as I do, lube costs maybe a dime, oh hell, call it a quarter.  That means we're talking close to $10 a box for new ammo in new brass, which is the "apples to apples" comparison to store bought.  Now, if ya gotta BUY bullets, add another $4.20, so we're talking $14 a box COST to load new ammo.

Economy can only come in TIME saved by using good equipment and either using it a lot, or figuring yer gonna have residual value when ya eventually sell it.

Where we save reloading is in reusing brass and if ya cast or source bullets locally.

Or, to be fair, IF ya run into a situation where ya have to BUY ammo, at least discount the price for the fact that ya get to re-use the brass if ya later reload it.  It ain't like yer gonna leave it on the ground.

Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Single Action Six

• Citizen
  • 1851 Navy Engraved Nickel/Gold .44 Revolver
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 08:45:50 PM »
A quick check of .45 LC's showed the following. (All new box of 50.)

SportsMan Guide..:  $13.75

Ammo Direct..:         16.57

Great Basin..:            17.49

At those prices it's a lot cheaper to buy than to reload, don't you think?

Single Action Six

Single_Action_Six@Yahoo.com
Why you never pick a fight with a old man.

Because they're too old and tired to fight, they'll just shoot your butt instead.

I'm a "OLD MAN"!

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:39 PM »

Single Action Six

Not for the kind of loads that I want.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 09:03:18 PM »

Single Action Six

Single_Action_Six@Yahoo.com

Don't forget shipping ;)

Bottom line, I reload because brass lasts virtually forever if well cared for, and I git ammo that works how I want it to (velocity  and bullet weight)  with my guns and shoots where I point em (a major issue with fixed sights).

Where is does not matter is smokeless shotshells, and yeah buddy I BUY them because it don't pay to reload.

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »

The way I look at it, I shoot new brass once, then it is free. So whether you amortize the cost of the brass over many reloadings, or whether you consider the cost of the brass for the first loading only, you are way ahead of the cost of factory ammo by reloading. Of course, everybody knows that reloaders do not save any money at all by reloading. They merely shoot more for the same amount of money.

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 08:44:57 PM »
The way I look at it, I shoot new brass once, then it is free. So whether you amortize the cost of the brass over many reloadings, or whether you consider the cost of the brass for the first loading only, you are way ahead of the cost of factory ammo by reloading. Of course, everybody knows that reloaders do not save any money at all by reloading. They merely shoot more for the same amount of money.

That's the reloaders corollary to Murphy's law.  The shooting appetitie expands to consume the money available for ammo, and makes a quantum leap when reloaded.  I know I shoot a whole bunch more at $3 a box than at $30 ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com