Author Topic: Your perfered weapon ?  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Your perfered weapon ?
« on: April 24, 2007, 05:51:06 AM »
Who amongest you shoots with various, or longer, barrel lenghts even though it might mean sacrificing a mili-second on the draw ?

I am shooting a mixed set. One SAA, 7 1/2 inch barrel and one SAA, 4 3/4 inch. My 7 1/2 inch OT is my back-up revolver in the event one of the SAAs become  'out of fix.'

Marshal Deadwood

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Your perfered weapon ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 06:35:22 AM »
Well at my next NCOWS shoot, I plan on shooting my 7.5 inch USFA Ainsworth SAA.  I have made the decision not to try to "beat the clock", so I dont care if it takes a tad longer to shoot.  My real life is way too full of speeded activities so I shall take my time and ENJOY.    The shoot after the next one will probably be my 1851 colt navy clone with RandD conversion cylinder in 38  long colt with a 7.5 inch barrel.  The last shoot I did was with a 5,5 inch SAA.   I shoot what I want depending on my mood and what time period I am in.   I too love my open top with 7.5 inch barrel,  so that will be shot at a future match as well.
Then when my Schofield in 7  inch barrel comes in I shall be shooting that one too.......etc. etc.  etc. 

Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

Next one to be shot.    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/Psychman/AinsworthUSFA.jpg
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 06:56:08 AM »
Deadeye, I agree. Im rushed way too much here and there, so shooting has always been a relaxation for me. I will shoot quickly, but, im not obessed with it. I want to enjoy the day, the friends AND the shooting.
Like you, I will shoot what im in the mood for perhaps on that day. I have a Schofiield comming also, and am looking forward to shooting it. At some shoots I may even shoot thur with my '60Armys,,,,as they are probably my all time favorite revolver anyways.
If I do feel a bit more 'in the game' then it will be the SAAs,,,but,,,I will always shoot for the smile, the rest will follow and one will always be a winner at the end of the day.

Marshal Deadwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:19:37 AM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 07:32:19 AM »
For me it is purely a mood issue, too. Although it take ages to draw the piece from the cross draw I like at times to blast away with my old 10" Uberti SAA, carrying as the compagnion SAA a 4" Uberti SAA on the strong side. While I will never win the match with that combo it is fun.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »
Navy Arms New Model Russian 7" barrell (.44 Russian)
or Vaquero 3" custom sheriff's models (.44 Russian or .45LC)

Depends on mood or the persona I'm doing or just plain whimsy.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:26:12 AM »
Personally I perfer to shoot my OM Vaqueros with  5 1/2 " barrels to my way of thinking it's just the right length for a revolver barrel and the size and weight of the revolvers fit great
and hold recoil to a minimum which I find most accommodating.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:55:02 AM »
Howdy

I've always shot mixed barrel lengths. I'm lucky enough to have a 4 3/4" 2nd Gen Colt and a 7 1/2" 2nd Gen Colt. The long gun rides butt forward on my weak side and I draw it cross draw style. In the past I have also shot Rugers and various clones of different barrel lengths. There are other things far more important in Cowboy shooting than speed. The only pair of guns I own with the same length barrels are my 1858 Remmies with 8" barrels and R&D conversion cylinders.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »
How many 7 1/2" Ubertis do I have?  Darn - have ta open the safe 'n look............

Shot one of 'em Saturday along with a 3 1/2" birdshead.  Makes things fun.

Think it was February at Wakedield I used the Buntlines - 18" barrels
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »
I have a pair of SAAs from Uberti with 5 1/2" barrels.  Rarely use them.  Prefer to use my '58 Remmies w/ R&D conversion cylinders and 8" barrels or my 1860 Armies(percussion).  If I were interested in absolute speed I wouldn't be shooting two 1860 Armies in Frontiersman.  I use this game as a way of relaxing.  I have enough pressure at work.  I do prefer to have both revolvers with the same barrel length.  7 1/2" to 8" seems to be my standard length.  I also have a pair of Navy type revolvers.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:22:20 PM »
Howdy Pards and Pardettes.

Marshall Deadwood, Pard my first season I campagined a 7 1/2" Colt and a 4 3/4"  "Pinkerton" bird's head Uberti.  I wore the Colt strongside, and the Uberti in a shoulder rig.  I still shoot longer barrrels though usualy as matched pairs.  I like the longer Barrels for shooting, but I like the shorter barrels for carring cause you can sit down most anywhere.  I never found it a hardship to shoot two different lengths, its not like two different calibers.  I once shot two entirely different pistols, but the were both long barrels.  I was copying Tom S in Crossfire Trail and I was carrying a Russian and an 1860 Army RM conversion, also in .44 Russian.  Now that was a fun match.  Shoot what you like and don't worry about anyone else's opinions.

That is all I think I know.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

Offline Single Action Six

• Citizen
  • 1851 Navy Engraved Nickel/Gold .44 Revolver
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 07:26:02 PM »
For me it's NOT the make, model, type, style, caliber, etc., etc. that's my prefered weapon.. but the one that I can most accurately hit the target with.

Single Action Six

Single_Action_Six@Yahoo.com
Why you never pick a fight with a old man.

Because they're too old and tired to fight, they'll just shoot your butt instead.

I'm a "OLD MAN"!

Offline Pinto Being

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 12:44:24 AM »
Marshal D' and all,

Been shootin' SASS/CAS for almost a dozen years now and for most of those years my pistoles have been Uberti's with 7.5" barrels.

I love 'em!  And.....................it seems that I am somewhat competitive with 'em, to boot.  Only mention that to soothe those who think that the "hoss pistoles" are only for purists.  Haw! 

I use a X-draw on the weak side and a straight draw on the strong side.  When timed, my times are only slightly greater than when I use the wife's 5.5" guns.  Not enough of a difference to cause me to use the shorter barrels, that's for sure.

And, the longer tubes are worth significant style points!

Stick with the long guns if that's what you want and practice with 'em...it all just gets better with practice.

Pinto (who likes bein' a Myth Buster when it comes to long pistoles) Being.
"Not too proud to cut hay and wild enough to eat it!"

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 03:15:41 AM »
I guess if I preferred one pair over another, then it would be one of my pairs of ROAs. I have two pair of 8" barreled ones and one pair of 5 1/2". One pair of the ROA 8 inchers has the rear sight grooves opened up and they are blued and I sometimes do better with them, especially on bright days.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Pedro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 03:41:04 AM »
I'm a different cow-boy, using Cattleman 7.5" and Outlaw at same long bbl but loving also long rifle as Sharps, Rolling Block and Winchester 1876.....all in .45 LC and .45/70 US Gov.!!

That's life!!

Offline Marshal harpoluke

• Black Sash Gunfighter Lord of the Dark Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Agapei Attack Sheep
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
 ;D

Winchester 1901 in 10ga, 21" barrel original riot gun.

heh, Heh, HEH!

:o

::)

8)
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 06:18:10 AM »
58 rem brass frame buffalow 44c&b 12" barrel
58 rem steel frame 44 c&b 8" barrel
50 cal mountian man smoke pole
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com