Author Topic: Leather for Bisleys  (Read 3432 times)

W.T.

Leather for Bisleys
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:45:02 AM »
(Cross-posted over on TOR)

Hello the Fire ~

Trying to backfill some missing gear here; thought I'd check with any Bisley users out there & ask if there is any particular holster that seems to work better for the Bisley grip than others.

I have mostly OTs in C&B and cartridge, and Slim-Jims for them - simple, clean lines.  Not crazy for big holster skirts, loops, buckles, conchos, and what-not, and prefer cross-draw.

My non-OT WartHog pistols are Uberti Bisleys in 45lc with 5 1/2 barrels.  Looking around at the various offerings, I find few 'plain' designs for the SAA platform generally, and frankly don't know what type would be 'authentic' for c1894.  What am I missing?  All suggestions & opinions welcomed & appreciated.

Thanks -

WT

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leather for Bisleys
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »
WT,

Ya might want to ask the question over in the Leather Shop.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

W.T.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:00:46 PM »
Doc, you know that's where I was headed when I considered that the Leather Shop seemed to be more for makers than users & was kinda hoping to get a read on what the 'field experience' out there was, as well as period-correctness pointers on 189-something leather. 

Because it is my own practice to routinely hit the "unread posts since last visit" button and then read new posts from all the forums, I hoped to reach as many as possible with the title of my own post.

As I understand it, the Bisley grip was developed for better target work, and the pistols were largely not 'carry' or working pieces.  Not surprising that research attempts showed me nothing concernring Bisley-specific holsters.  Admittedly, I also hoped that somebody knew of a workable, off-the-shelf, plainish holster that would also be more-or-less correct.  Not much to ask for, eh?!

cheers,
WT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:05:24 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 09:37:26 PM »
There is a picture of Pancho Villa carrying a Bisley in a plain Mexican loop holster. 5 1/2".
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

W.T.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 10:18:52 PM »
Yep, they got wider use than I would've thought, and there's really no reason why any leather put together for a 'standard'  SAA wouldn't work; just thought somebody might have found a particular configuration that handled the more right-angled grip frame well.

More I look around, the more apparent it is that at least some sort of loop is going to be needed to handle the bulk and weight.  The thick skirt backing on most of those, and the overall 'pancake' look may be supremely functional, but a holster as wide as it is long is just too ugly in my eyes.

Saw one site where the fella's answer was a single wide loop and a deep S-cut exposing most of the trigger guard - and the body was quite tightly molded to the pistol's contours.  That looked just a bit too 'modern', but if such a thing was actually used back when, why not?

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 12:10:55 AM »
W.T.,

Head to the Library and find a copy of Packing Iron which covers holsters from the early 1800's pommel holsters to the Hollywood rigs.  Lots of clear pictures which are dated and you should find something that is PC that will suit your eye!  You will want to own this book some day!  I know that I do.

The fellows that make holsters know what Bisley owners have ordered and may be able to suggest one that will meet your needs.  Doesn't cost anything to ask there too! 

Hope that you find what you are looking for!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

W.T.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 12:40:32 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 12:58:51 AM »
There is an alternative Mexican Loop Holster that isn't too bulky from the ±1880 era, if that fits your persona. Will Gormley makes them and/or sells the patterns to fit just about anything you have in the way of pistols. It's called the Dodge City holster. He may have something else that you would like more, too. His stuff is fairly historically correct. Will Gormley Leather

OK, his pic won't show in this post. Here's a photo of the holster from Packing Iron that is almost like his.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 02:46:03 PM »
The grip should not affect the holster.  What will affect it is your shooting style and your shooting goals.  My Bisley's fit just fine in the holsters that I had made for my birdheads which also fit a Ruger Vaquero just fine.  If you're shooting two handed the best transistion on your weak hand gun will be allowed by dropping the front of the holster enough so that you can get your thumb on the back strap and your index finger under the trigger guard.  That way when you transistion from weak to strong side before you actually take your first shot you don't have to do  a lot of manipulating of the gun.

If you are shooting duelist, especially double duelist, a lot of that becomes null and void and a more traditional holster is going to work just as well as anything.  You want your holsters snug enough on your gun so that you can move A LOT and they won't come out but not so snug that the holster tries to ride up when you draw the weapon.

So, the answer from me is no, I haven't really found a holster that is better for a Bisley grip but instead choose the holster based upon the shooting style and personal preference.  Your grips shouldn't be down in your holster anyway.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

W.T.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »
Here's the number I described (inadequitely) above:

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/115.html

Heavy 'moulding' ok, authenticity-wise, to y'all?  Not wild about the buckle, either, but the lack of a heavy shirt is very appealing.  Exposed TG looks effective, but I guess you'd really want that hammer tie-down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com