Poll

Do you think an EMPTY round left on the carrier of a long gun should be a minor safety?

Yes
25 (52.1%)
No
23 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: DUMB RULES  (Read 10172 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DUMB RULES
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »
 :D ;D :D

Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Single Action Six

• Citizen
  • 1851 Navy Engraved Nickel/Gold .44 Revolver
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
"How many time have you heard or read about an'empty' round (or gun) be it rifle, revolver or what-have-you going off?"

First off, I want it to be known that my following comments are nothing more than the ramblings of a old shooter.. and NO, I'm NOT trying to make my post into any type of wise-butt comment.

I've been into all forms of shooting for over the past 40 plus years.. and as such, I feel as though I've enough experience to reply to "Cyrille's" post/question.

NO!  In all my years I"ve NEVER heard or read about a "empty" round and/or gun thats either gone off by itself and/or done so because of the shooter pulling the trigger.  My experience has shown me that it is a physical impossibility.. and as such, it could NEVER happen.

Seeing some of you have, can you please explain to me the error of my experience/thinking.

Thank You..

Single Action Six

Single_Action_Six@Yahoo.com
Why you never pick a fight with a old man.

Because they're too old and tired to fight, they'll just shoot your butt instead.

I'm a "OLD MAN"!

Offline Single Action Six

• Citizen
  • 1851 Navy Engraved Nickel/Gold .44 Revolver
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 07:44:27 PM »
Hi there Cyrille..

I always appreciate it whenever someone replys to one of my posts.. (even though the reply might be "off line" where no one else can read it).  That's why I supply my e-mail address at the bottom of all my posts so that they may do so.  That being the case, thank you for your ever so welcomed e-mail response.

I tried to respond back to you using the e-mail addrerss that you sent to me, but what I did get was my e-mail message to you returned with the following..  "MAILER-DAEMON@n9.bullet.re3.yahoo.com  Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following e-mail address."  That being the case, it looks like this fourm is the only way I'm able to contact you.  My e-mail that I sent you (but was returned) was as follows:

****************************************************************************************

You stated in your e-mail.. "If you are truly taking my quote verbatim than you have no concept of what we're trying to get across to you."

The dictionary defines "verbatim" as: "repeating something using the same words", so YES, I used your same words because that's what YOU said.

As we know, all words have "meaning".. and as such, the words we use within a sentence structure will influence its meaning or effect.

YOU used the word "EMPTY"!.. and seeing empty means "containing nothing", I took what you wrote as what you ment.  On the other hand, if you had said "supposedly or thought to have been empty" then there would NOT have been a reason for my reply/post.

At NO time within my post did I ever indicate that "safety" was not the paramount concern.  And by the way, I agree with you when you said in your e-mail to me that we shouldn't.. "think that the gun is empty, but in reality know that it is".

You ended your e-mail to me by saying.. "If you cannot understand that than you do not belong at a S.A.S.S. gathering".

There's a old saying (and NO, I'm not able to remember who originally said it), that goes something like this..

"It is better to say what you mean, than to have one wonder if what you said is what you ment!"

EMPTY means just that.. EMPTY!, (and NOT thought to have been).

Single Action Six

Single_Action_Six@Yahoo.com
Why you never pick a fight with a old man.

Because they're too old and tired to fight, they'll just shoot your butt instead.

I'm a "OLD MAN"!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:48:48 AM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 11:19:25 PM »
Somehow, some way we're losing something in translation. Ok shooter A leaves the fireingline, A knows for a fact that the rifle has a spent cartridge in the carrier s/he knows that the gun in question cannot discharge even if the action is closed and the hammer cocked. However the spectators do not know this. The result could be a panic and someone could get hurt. The rules are there to prevent such an occurance.
  When the rules are broken people are placed in harm's way so no matter how "stupid" the rule seems it has a legitamate reason for being. We have enough problems with "nuts" going around shooting people on purpose. Let's not add accidental shootings to the stockpile so that the anti-firearms people can shove their agenda down our throats.

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 07:35:11 AM »
Somehow, some way we're losing something in translation. Ok shooter A leaves the fireingline, A knows for a fact that the rifle has a spent cartridge in the carrier s/he knows that the gun in question cannot discharge even if the action is closed and the hammer cocked. However the spectators do not know this. The result could be a panic and someone could get hurt. The rules are there to prevent such an occurance.   When the rules are broken people are placed in harm's way so no matter how "stupid" the rule seems it has a legitamate reason for being. We have enough problems with "nuts" going around shooting people on purpose. Let's not add accidental shootings to the stockpile so that the anti-firearms people can shove their agenda down our throats.

Ok, I don't want to insult anyone or hurt any feelins but I got to comment on the part I put in blue bold above.   Are you kidding? Please say your kidding.   That is the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever heard.  Now please explain to me how penalizing someone for a empty cartridge prevents this from happening.   I was hoping that someone could give me a legitimate reason for this rule based on reality and not emotions and perceptions.  No one has been able to do that yet.  We say it's ok to restage a rifle with a spent(empty) round IN the chamber with the action closed but then penalize someone for an empty that didn't fully eject and the action is open.
From the ROI Handbook;

• Rifle
Safe to leave the shooters hands.
• Empty, action open
• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged
for further use)

Doesn't one conflict with the other?  It jus don't pass the common sense test.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com