Author Topic: Waistband variation on chaps  (Read 9790 times)

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Waistband variation on chaps
« on: April 06, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »
The following image was originally post be Del on the NCOWS forum in regard to the sweaters worn in at the turn of the century.

In observing the image I commented and ask the following question. Del suggested I post here because one of you might know a source which would document the reason that the waistband of chaps ceased to be brought tightly together - even when they were ment to as in the photo above - and were worn with the waistband seperated with a single leather lace.

My comment on the NCOWS board was:

"Note one other "style" difference in the chaps the fella's are wearing. All early images of cowboys I have seen show the chap legs brought together tightly at the waist band with the 5 or more holes tightly brought together with leather lace, the tie often on the inside of the chap. With the turn of the century you start to see the waist band spread apart and secured with but one or two lace wraps - as seen today on many working cowboy chaps or chinks.

"This probably has nothing to do with "style" and more to do with safety - at least the argument used today. When the chaps are drawn tightly together there is less chance that they will be caught over the horn and an unbalanced cowboy thrown still attached to the saddle and a terrified horse. When chap (or chinks now 'adays) legs are not drawn tightly together the theory is that a singe lace is more likely to break in such a situation. Important for a working cowboy and moreso when working with colts or rodeo broncs.

"The question then becomes, why did cowboy's start to alter chaps with many lace holes obviously designed to be tightly laced together - and had been for the previous 30 years - to be used as we do today with the waist band not drawn tightly together?

"Again, you start to see this at the turn of the century and there are many images of the early rodeo crowd doing this, and at least one image of Tom Mix in his movie day's wearing a pair of woolies in this manner.

"I have never read any source that discusses such a comment by a cowboy of the period. Supposition on my part? Cowboy's and other folks got larger in the 20th century - particularly those with money (rodeo crowd, movie stars). Chaps were expensive even for the aforementioned. They might have lengthened the belt, but perhaps it became easier to adjust the front. After seeing the firt guy get dragged across the arena, someone came up with the idea to connect the waist band with one lace. That is my guess and as such should not be repeated as truth.

"Does anyone know of a period source that discusses this change in "style" (perhaps a function induced style). "

So does anyone on this board have an answer?
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: Waistband variation on chaps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »
I don't have any answers, but that photo are great. Many thanks for posting it.

Maybe some of the other pards here will know something.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »
I want to think they did that to the waist strap so that it would fit without having to pay for altering and or fit more than one person.
mabey the company bought so many chaps and the workers had to share them.
just my 5 cents worth of thinking. ;D

its a great photo.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:15:12 AM »

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:04:27 PM »
I am no bronc rider...., well I have had a few unplanned dismounts. But, I am not qualified to comment. I am now wondering if it had something to do with comfort. My own chinks are of course modern and I have experience in riding with them, but I also own a pair of repro shotgun chaps intended to be circa 1870 - 1890 with 10 lace holes that I have laced up tightly. To be honest I have never worn them on a horse just using them to look good in my NCOWS cowboy impression, they do seem to weigh a ton and at 58 I may need a mounting block ;D should I decide to wear them horseback. Maybe I should try to ride in them and I would discover an answer. But they are way less convenient than my chinks or circa 1950 old batwings.

I wonder if creating that space at the waistband allowed them more leg movement when the horse bucked? Did they score points like that in those days, or would it have just looked better to the crowd? Something a range cowboy would not have cared about but a performer would? Perhpas they simply used one lace because it either looked better, or it was more comfortable, or the one lace allowed more movement, or it was an issue of safety.

Still looking for that period source from some old boy who wrote down, "so I decided to stretch that waistband and use just a single lace so that I could ....."

PS - if you want to look at the entire photo of a dozen cowboys (that was a cropped portion of it) Del has now posted the entire photo on the NCOWS board. Look for the thread that refers to an 1890's impression.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »
I'll just add it over here.

Listed as a bunch of Oldtime Cowboys and Bronc Busters Denver Colarado 1905.

Some of us are wonderin' if the guy on the far left is Bill Pickett and that is an early 101 Ranch show group.  Bill started with them that year.

The only picture I could find of him was about 15 years newer.

James, I just noticed that the guy on the left looks like his chaps have the holes for more lacing.  We may be onto our answer since I think by the arena and such they are Rodeo/Wild West guys.  I'll see what I can do with the photo when I get home, I don't have any programs at work to use on it. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:12:34 PM »
OK, I worked with this as best I could, I can't get it to elnlage and copy but I can enlarge it an look at it.  Copy it into your computor and enlarge it.  All three of these chaps have more holes in them that are not being used.

Since most of the early rodeo/Wild West Cowboys wore common range clothes, I'd guess James yer on the right track as to why they only used on string on these and most likely went on into range gear.  If you got hung up on the horn it would break. 

About 20 years after that picture was taken, a fella who I can't remember his name right now, no matter, watched a rodeo cowboy get hung up on the horn and get drug pretty bad.  He got this idea to make shirts using snaps instead of buttons.  The snaps would open easily.  He added fancy mother of pearl to them cause cowboys and rodeo cowboys in perticular like to be a bit gawdy.  Rockmont Ranch Wear Company was formed.

Also some time in that period the Rodeo Cowboys Association banned saddles with horns for saddle bronc and made a certian syle tree be used ro make the saddle, the Association Tree Saddle as it is commonly refered to.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
From I See By Your Outfit, Lindmor and Mount, High Plains Press, Glendo Wyoming, 1996, p. 84. I qoute

I found this in I See By Your Outfit, by Lindmoor and Mount, p. 84 It suggests that the issue was perhaps comfort related.

"Around 1910, the dip belt was introduced, on which the front of the belt halves curved downward. This added a great deal of comfort as the belt did not cut into the stomach while the cowboy was mounted. The single thong or narrow buckled strap which connected the two legs along the top did not become popular until more recent times, when rodeo riders became concerned that the lacing would catch on the saddle horn, causing injury."

Well, I am not sure what recent times means to Lindmoor and Mount but it appears that the concept of a single lace connecting a seperation at the waist belt came before the dip belt (maybe the authors got it wrong). Further it may be that the reason the belt was seperated was that these early bronc riders discovered it to be more comfortable, and that a single lace held just fine and was more convenient than multiple laces, and after someone got hung up on the horn only to see the lace break discovered it to be a safety factor also. Speculation on the later, but a little secondary documentation for the development of the chap style.

Any further references appreciated. Regards, Jim

NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline Nolan Sackett

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Co
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 12:37:29 PM »
Sorry to be slow getting here, filling orders is keeping me nose to the grindstone.....

With respect to the authors of "I See By Your Outfit", but that time line is quite a few years off......
For what it's worth here's something of a partial history of chaps, which is based on my research of 35+ years: studying the literature (saddle shop catalogs are an excellent resoruce), period photos, and examining hundreds of original chaps in museums and private collections (unfortunately for the serious student many of these pieces never see/will never see the light of day so to speak and many offer styles/construction, etc. not seen elsewhere.......)

Chaps (from the Spanish chaparejos and/or chappareras) are descended from the Mexican vaqueros armas which were skirt like pieces of bull hide tied to the saddle horn to hang down in front of the legs which developed into armitas which were smaller, generally belted around the waist, and tied around the legs with thongs. Add the influence of Indian leggings, two step in tubes of leather with no seat and often with fringe along the outer seam, and you have the earliest form of chaps, the so-called shotguns.
Shotgun chaps were originally developed during the late 1860's in the Texas brasada (brush) country where pretty much everything has thorns, thus they were made to cover as much of ones lower section as possible, including the crotch area. The earliest chaps had a one piece belt (infrequently used in later times, on page 68 of "Cowboys & the Trappings of the Old West" there is a pair by R. T. Frazier, probably 1890's - Frazier's first shop was in the 1870's in Leadville, Co, and he later moved to Pueblo, Co in the 1880's. He partnered there with S. G. Gallup before opening his own shop in 1898, where/when the pair shown were apparently built) and were mostly plain with no fringe or conchos. The one-piece belt evolved fairly quickly into the two-piece, straight top waistband, which was laced together with usually 5-10 lacings. This style waistband is not only easier to build, but is more cost effective due to time savings and the maker can also use smaller sections of hide which might otherwise have been scrap (scrap is a big issue with leather smiths). This style waistband was used from the 1860's into the early 1900's. This style waistband/crotch is bulky though and can be uncomfortable - more on that later.

The curved top waistband (still with a fairly wide and closely laced waistband) first appears in the late 1880's early 1890's. The book "Cowboy Culture", by M. Friedman, includes a pair of this style by F. A. Meanea, of Cheyenne, Wy, with a date of 1880-90's. Here's a picture of said pair:

Dating such things can of course be difficult/subjective if not accompanied by written documentation/provenance, but in this case I have some pretty good verification. At one time I owned a pair of chaps that were an almost exact twin to the pictured pair. When I got them they were like new, and in the pocket was the original Meanea sales receipt dated 1889 (unfortunately I no longer own them or have a copy of the receipt). This style waistband doesn't appear as often as the straight waist until the late 1890's and after 1900. 
As for the less complicated lacing "Cowboys & the Trappings of the Old West", has pictures of several pairs of rodeo chaps with curved waistbands and with less lacing in the 1905-1915 era.

Woolies, were developed in the late 1870's-early1880's, originally for wear in the cold north country. Because they were flashy, this style became popular in the 1890's and into the early 1900's with Wild West and rodeo performers. Usually of Angora goat hair, they were also made of bear hide, seal skin (see those worn by Theodore Roosevelt who BTW hated being called Teddy, he preferred Theodore or TR), and even dog amongst other skins.

I've got to go for now but I will try and add as time allows regarding other changes such as the buckle and strap leg attachments rather than solid/laced legs, fringe and conchos, the change in waistband lacing which begins around 1900 (Del's picture clearly shows this change at least as early as 1905 and not the later date as noted in "I See By Your Outfit"), the beginnings of the batwings (the original style had narrow "wings, buckles and straps, and were called the Cheyenne style - they date to at least 1887), and more.....

Why the changes? comfort and the Wild West Shows/Rodeos were large influence on the changes in all kinds of cowboy gear during the 1880's and later........

as always others mileage will vary and further information is welcome........

aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
Nolan: Thank you for your detailed response. Further info particularly with source material is always appreciated. Indeed, we are fortunate that the period of our interest has so many images, the problem is always dating the images. Unlike CW images, our interest took place over 30 years, a period in which many things changed. I like the coffee table books, and Cowboy Collectables has alot of really great photos, but when you see dates attributed to them - where did they come from? The author, was it written on the back of the photo. Agreed, period catalogs are a treasure when you come across them.

More to the point, it seems as if at the turn of the century styles abruptly changed that were associated with both function and show business (wild west show and rodeo). Perhaps the widening of the waist belt was functional (my , with the "dipped" waistbelt following function. The single lace simply expedient, then discovered to be safer? I have a pair of Frazier batwings that are but slightly dipped at the waist band with six holes, clearly ment to be laced tightly (see many photos in Cowboys on the Green River, by Lozier and Platts, weariing this exact pair circa 1910 - 1920), but when I got them they had but one lace thru them.

Regards, Jim
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline colemadjack

• cole
  • Citizen
    • colemadjack
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
I made this pair of shotguns a while back and have ridden in them and did not even think about the comfort as they were no different to others that I have worn ,I still prefer chinks for modern day riding. They are for sale on ebay.co.uk as I am making a new pair
I ride for the Brand

Offline Sawdust Jim

• Active citizen
    • Jim Green, Custom Leatherwork
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 08:51:05 PM »
This is just conjecture on my part because, as you said, there really isn’t any written info on this subject. It seem that around the turn of the century, the fashion changed from wearing chaps at or just below the waist to wearing them riding on the hips. As to why it changed, I really couldn’t guess. You would think that if wearing them high was so bad, they wouldn’t have done it for 30 years before figuring it out. By the teens (1910-1920) it seems that saddlers were making them low to accommodate the style.

Hear are some photos from the Denver Library collection to illustrate. (I’m sure others could be found with a little time searching). The last photo is a scan from one of mine.
Earlier style:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10021935+X-21935 (1870-1890)
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10009259+X-9259 (1886)
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?11000147+Z-147 (’94-’99)
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10021563+X-21563 (1890-1902)
Later style:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10021938+X-21938 (1890-1900)
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105784+NS-784 (1901?)
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?11002226+Z-2226 (one of each-1909)
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?11007480+Z-7480 (1910-1917)

Like I said, not absolute but it seems that it was a fashion trend.
 Jim
SASS # 62093

Offline Bull Durham

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 02:37:08 PM »
All three of the sets of chaps I have made had a straight belt. This is the last pair I made. I like the straight belt design better and was thinking it was actually the earlier design. I would make a pair with the dip in the front if I wore them with modern pants that I would also wear a belt and buckle with, but I usually only wear them when I am wearing my Wah Makers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com