Author Topic: Starting out in SASS  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Dakota Hardcase

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Starting out in SASS
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:31:42 PM »
I have a question on SASS. I have become intrested in joining but the more i read it looks like I have to have at least two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun to compete in SASS. I own one pistol a ruger 45 and had hoped taht would be enough to enjoy the SASS matches. Any info or inforamtion would be of help.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Re: Starting out in SASS
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:51:21 AM »
Howdy DH,

You might look at  www.ncows.org  and see if there is a posse near you.  NCOWS has a 2 gun category, Working cowboy with 1 revolver and 1 rifle.  Ruger Vaqueros, old & new are OK.  Blackhawk & Bisley V's are not.  There is a NCOWS forum here in CAS City, so drop by and meet the folks.  Real friendly.  "Course the SASS folks are too!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:33:51 AM »
..........the more i read it looks like I have to have at least two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun to compete in SASS.

Howdy

You are correct. You will need 2 pistols, a shotgun, and a rifle to compete in most SASS sanctioned matches. Historically, way back in the 1980s, SASS started with just one pistol, a shotgun, and a rifle, but folks started bringing 2 pistols along, to have more fun, and the scenarios started featuring 2 pistols instead of one. When I first started, the club I started at still only used one pistol, but eventually they went to 2 pistols also.

Scenarios almost always call for 2 pistols now. You may find that some local matches will allow you to load your pistol a second time on the clock, or simply take 5 misses if you elect to, but I would call ahead and find out from the match director to find out if you will be allowed to do this. Better to call ahead than show up and be dissapointed. At any level above a local match, 2 pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun will be necessary.

Do not let the lack of equipment stop you from participating. You will never find such generous people as SASS shooters in any other shooting sport. Call ahead to the match director and explain your situation. I can almost guarantee he will hook you up with someone who can supply you with a loaner pistol for the day. You will be amazed at how many shooters will be standing in line to let you try their pistols. As for the long guns, shooters share rifles or shotguns all the time if they only brought one for two of them.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:54:29 AM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:49:52 AM »
You're getting good advice.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Pinto Being

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:08:11 AM »
Dakota Hardcase,

Dr. Bob and DJ are steerin' you straight on this deal.

SASS started the formal sport of Cowboy Action Shootin' (CAS).  NCOWS came a bit later and is more oriented toward preservin' the historical aspects of the sport.

And your information is correct that you need 2 revolvers, 1 rifle, and 1 shotgun to shoot a typical CAS match.

Howsomever, many folks (myself included) started off with only one or two guns.  Awkward though it may be, there is no shame in borrowin' guns to be able to shoot a CAS match early on.  For example, in the 9 years that my CAS club has been in existence I'll bet that 40 or so CAS cowboys and cowgirls shot their first 1-5 matches with borrowed guns.  And now THEY are loanin' out THEIR guns to new shooters.

It's the Cowboy Way to loan guns to shooters who are just gettin' started and it is essentially a convention, of sorts, in our sport.  It's just one of many unique features of CAS that keeps most of us interested and comin' back year, after year, after year...

Welcome, pardner.   Keep yer powder dry and watch yer topknot.
"Not too proud to cut hay and wild enough to eat it!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com