Author Topic: New Revolver  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Revolver
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:04:14 PM »
I ordered a Cimarron Model P in 4 3/4, .45LC. I considered a smaller, lighter calibre, but im a fan of the larger bores. Ill just shoot the best I can without letting the competition aspect decide the guns I perfer. However, the .38/.357 was tempting.
I know the lighter .38 would be faster on the line, but, I was slightly amazed at my first shoot the other day with the tiny 'ding ding' of the smaller lighter rounds.
The .45 boys were dinging a good bit harder and I find that attractive in its own, win or not.
I stopped by the gun shop today and hefted a  SAA with the 4 3/4 barrel,,,,i was always a fan of the 7 1/2,,but I tell ya, the shortie is sooo well balanced. I think ill like it rather well.
More updates to come after initial rounds of testing.

Marshal Deadwood

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: New Revolver
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:45:56 AM »
Good On Ya, Marshall, from a fellow "Warthog"!   ;D

All my CAS guns are .45 Colt ('cept the 12 ga. shotguns, of course) .... and, even though my scores reflect it, I shoot duelist - with good stout loads - to boot! 

(Heck ... was at a shoot on Sunday where ya had to shoot an extra staged revolver - it was a .38/.357 with mild loads - felt like I was shootin a .22!!!   ::) )
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:34:09 AM »
Howdy

I hope you enjoy your new shooter.

I like the 7 1/2" barrels too, most of my CAS guns have barrels at least 7 1/2" long. But one of my Colts does have a 4 3/4" barrel. I love that little gun, it just nestles right in my hand. I usually shoot it in tandem with my 7 1/2" Colt. They don't have to be the same length.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:00:29 AM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »
Driftwood,,thats exactly what id like to do,,is have 'shortie' strong side and then a 7 1/2 " SAA cross draw....so far iv been shootin'  '72OTs and with that set up and at my first 'match' it seemed to work rather well . Each length has their own appeal.
A pair of SAAs ,,,full lenght and shortie,,,,would be very neat,,,very.
Im workin' on it ,,,,what I actually would perfer now,,is a winnin' lotto ticket !!

Driftwood,,,,,you are experienced with the 'SAAs,,,what do you think about the Single Action model USFA? All I hear is super stuff about them. To me, with the dome blue on the 'Single Action' model, it looks EVERY bit as good as a Colt,,though, im not taking anything away from Colt,,,what can ya say,,,,they are 'Colts.'

Marshal Deadwood

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
The USFA's are kinda the " Cadillac" of the SAA repros. They can run from $500+ for the bottom end Rodeo's to almost a Colt price for their Premium guns. Fit and finish is quite excellent...........Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 04:18:55 PM »
Howdy

Unfortunately I can't say that I've ever been inside a USFA. I have handled them, and what I could see from the outside was the quality was a quantum step above anything coming out of Italy. Everything I have read about them is they are superior on the inside too, but I cannot report as such first hand.The prices run from competitive with a Ruger for the Rodeos, right on up to competitive with a Colt. The good part is the quality is just as good with the inexpensive models as the top of the line. The extra cost is for the extra polish, blue, and case hardening. But inside they are just as good.

The connundrum with the USFA is if you are in the Colt price bracket whether to buy the USFA or just to spring for the Colt. The USFA is not collectable, and as such it will never appreciate in value. The Colt is collectable and may increase in value. If you plan to keep them for ever, this may not matter. If you like things to get more valuable, it may.

I've heard opinions back and forth about which is a better gun, the Colt or the USFA. Frankly, part of the catchet of the Colt is the name, I really believe that. It may or may not be a better gun. I have lots of fine old Double Action Smith & Wesson revolvers that are every bit as good a gun as a Colt any day, but few of them command the prices a real Colt SAA does. The Colt is simply more in demand, and can command a higher price in the market.

My own situation is that I cannot legally buy a USFA in the state where I live, other wise I would probably own one. It is a legal issue, has nothing to do with the quality of the guns. I am lucky enough to own a couple of 2nd Gen Colts that were grandfathered in before our current draconian gun laws took affect. But I digress.

What you want to do with your sixguns is exactly what I do. I wear the 4 3/4" gun on the right, stronghand in a high riding Duke style holster. The short barrel is easy to pull stronghanded. I wear the 7 1/2" Colt on my left side, butt forward in a convention right handed high riding Duke style holster. It is not a true 'crossdraw' holster, just a straight draw holster worn backwards. But the concept is the same. I wear the second gun completely over on the side by my hip. Most cross draw shooters where their cross draw gun more in front, for quicker drawing, and most cross draw holsters are angled for a quick draw. The conventional set up is definitely quicker than the way I do it. I just like my rig better, and don't care too much about being fast.I guess there is just something about a pistol worn on the hip, butt forward that I like. My rig does require a pretty massive twist of the body to pull my second pistol without breaking the 170. Most cross draw shooters don't have to twist as much as I do. These are some considerations you may want to think about.

Here are a couple of photos of my Colts, and my rig:

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Offline Spence

• Active citizen
  • Mmmmm. Beer.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »
Driftwood,

Nice lookin' setup you have there!  *salute*
Silver Spur Spence (SASS #75055)
J.P. Spencer III
Houston, TX
www.houstonyankee.com
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/spence
USS Portsmouth (SSN-707)
USS Topeka (SSN-754)
PROUD Submariner

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:07:16 AM »
Driftwood, that is truely a handsome set of guns and riggins'.

If I may ask,,,,you can not buy a handgun in your state at all? Or just not from a manufacturer in your state?

If you perfer to not answer on a public forum, I appologize for the question sir.

Dang gun laws,,,,guns laws outta be outlawed.

Marshal Deadwood

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:03:21 AM »
I say "get the guns you enjoy most".  And I also say "use those guns the way you enjoy most".  Regardless of price, high or low, it's the toy in my hands and the fun I have with it, not what others have or want me to have or what they play with.  I learned that a long time ago.

Those Cimarrons are might nice lookin' guns.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:52:54 AM »
Marshal Deadwood

The Land of the Pilgrims has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. Prior to about 1998, things were not too bad, you needed a carry permit to own a handgun, and they were issued at the discretion of the local chief law enforcement officer. So things varied from town to town. I hold a Class A permit which allows me to own just about any hangun made, including hi cap semis.

But a new set of consumer protection regulations were introduced by the Atorney General in 1998. After bouncing around in the courts for several years they became law a few years ago. These regulations greatly restrict the handguns that can be sold in the state. They do not affect those handguns already owned before the regulations took affect, but all new handgun purchases. So far. Among other restrictions, any new handgun that will not pass a drop test being dropped onto the hammer from I think 3 feet onto a hard floor without discharging is illegal to sell in Mass. That means that every traditional style Single Action revolver that does not incorporate some sort of a transfer bar is illegal to sell in the state. Hence no Colt SAA, Uberti, USFA, or any other tradional lockwork Single Action revolver is legal to buy here. The only 'cowboy gun' legal to buy in Mass are the Rugers. There is a grandfather clause where guns manufactured prior to the original 1998 filing of the laws are legal to buy in the state, but that requirement was tightened to say the older guns also had to be registered in the state prior to the 1998 date. So if I find a nice old SAA on Gunbroker, if it is from out of state, I cannot buy it. There was an effort by local Cowboy shooters last year to get traditional Single Action revolvers exempted from these rules, and things looked good for a while, but it got squashed at the last minute by anti-gun interests. In addition, one of the campaign promises by our new Governor was to work for a one gun a month law. If this happens, I will try to do my best to buy one gun a month, but I will not be allowed to buy any more.

My Colts happened to have been registered in Mass before 1998, so I was lucky enough to grab them. I also have a couple of other SA revolvers that I have managed to find that were 'grandfathered' in, but they are few and far between. It takes a lot of hunting, and the prices reflect their rarity.

Needless to say, when I find a Mass Compliant pistol, I hold on to it forever. If I were to sell it, I probably could not legally find another one to replace it.

Offline Spence

• Active citizen
  • Mmmmm. Beer.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »
I feel your pain, Driftwood.  Not to get too far off topic, but as a former New Jersey resident, one had to jump through hoops to get firearms.

Now, as a Texas resident, I could probably buy one in a gas station if I wanted  ;D

I think my next set of pistols will be Cimarron P's, as the wife and I are taking a weekend drive in April down to good ole Texas Jacks' in Fredericksburg...I'll make sure to post up some pics of the new rig once acquired.

Silver Spur Spence (SASS #75055)
J.P. Spencer III
Houston, TX
www.houstonyankee.com
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/spence
USS Portsmouth (SSN-707)
USS Topeka (SSN-754)
PROUD Submariner

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »
Driftwood,,what we NEED is NOT a gun drop test, but a POLITICAN DROP test,,,,say,,from 30,000 feet,,and if they walk away, then they can run for office !  hehe

Aint some guns laws just the dumbest thangs,,,,,

Spence, got my Model P, and I gotta tell ya, im a happy puppy,,,dem is some good shootin' irons...this one is a Taylors Uberti,,,but I see no quality difference in it and a Cimarron really...both seem to be excellent. Now that I have the 4 3/4, im wanting to heed Driftwoods advice and use it as my strong hand hip gun, and now I am lusting for a 7 1/2 SAA for my cross draw revolver. Though, I can use my Cimarron/Uberti  '72OT for my cross draw gun,,,,its a fine 'iron' in itself.

Marshal Deadwood

Offline Tionesta Toby

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 03:11:45 PM »
Driftwood,

Gun laws re handguns are not quite as draconian in Maryland (YET >:() but almost. 

We have a thing called the State Police Handgun Roster Board which publishes a list of guns they will allow Maryland residents to purchase.  If  a gun is not on this list, we can't buy it.  There are USFA dealers in Maryland, so their guns must be legal. :)

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »
I think I would leave Mass! After the VT thing, I think things will get worse for gun laws-one rotten apple! Dusty.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »
Being a resident of Virginia, I’m not worried much about additional restrictions on the pistols but I am about the magazines.  As someone who carries Glocks daily, one brand that piece of garbage used to kill those young people at VT, I’ve ordered several hi-cap mags for each.

Son-in-Law also carries.  I’ve suggested he do the same.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »
Being a resident of Virginia, I’m not worried much about additional restrictions on the pistols but I am about the magazines.  As someone who carries Glocks daily, one brand that piece of garbage used to kill those young people at VT, I’ve ordered several hi-cap mags for each.

Son-in-Law also carries.  I’ve suggested he do the same.

Good idea. I know this sounds excessive and I am influenced by the fact that in the past I shot IDPA, modern 3 gun, and did some high round count training but I like to have at least 10 magazines for any bottom feeder that will see serious use. I think I have 12 between my 2 .40 cal. HK pistols (they can share the same magazines) and quite a few more for the AR, of course one can never have too many AR15 magazines!  ;) Now for my Browing Buckmark .22 and the .22 bolt action I don't see any need for that many, for sporting guns I think 3-5 is a good number. That is another advantage of using wheel guns and tube fed rifles, no extra magazines to stockpile!  ;D

Whoops, let me post something on topic as well. Marshal I am glad you are happy with your 4 3/4", I too am thinking of getting a 7 1/2" (I'll go with one of the Cavalry models) and a shorter one, either a 4 3/4 or maybe a Sheriff's model. I kinda figure if a Indian War era soldier had a second handgun it would probably be something smaller to carry into town with him when he was on leave or pass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com