Author Topic: New guy question  (Read 2305 times)

Offline harpman

• Active citizen
    • Harpman
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New guy question
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:44:53 PM »
Whats the farthest distance and target size in pistol matches ?....I have a range here at my house and want to set up a practice range for cowboy stuff, mainly pistols, I got the rifle and shotgun shooting down already.

Thanks in advance cowpoke

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
Re: New guy question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:25:38 PM »
I doubt you'll see many targets that are 12 inches in diameter.  The vast majority are bigger.  14 to 16 inch circles, 18x24 rectangles, 16 inch squares are pretty common.  And most are set up 7 to 10 yards.  You might ask your local match director what they use.

Offline Goatlips

• Top Active Citizen
    • Goatlips' BlackPowder Tips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:42:01 PM »
Hay Harpman,
Were I in the enviable position of having my own range, I'd use small targets for practice. When I used to skip school and was taught how to play Snooker by the real JD's, with a big table, small pockets and having to call your shots, going back to reg'lar eight ball on a pool table was absolute child's play.  Aim small, miss small!  Good shootin' pard

Goatlips
Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
Visit my Blackpowder site:
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

width=200 height=30]http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif[/img][/url]

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:55:28 PM »

Offline harpman

• Active citizen
    • Harpman
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:47:28 PM »
Thanks...I'll practice an additional 15 feet or so...I want to get some trigger time before I go up to the range to check it out...just incase I get to shoot some while there.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 11:09:32 PM »
Doc has the dimensions, Goatlips has the distance. A lot of folks practice with smaller targets or farther distances so they are more likely to center the targets in a match for fewer misses. Remember, if you don't miss occasionally, you aren't trying hard enough!
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:46:54 PM »
I have found my best practice aid was Doc Shapiros book " Breaking the Shot"  Costs little, teaches what to practice.

Truly
                                                                          Sweettooth
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com