Author Topic: How do you clean your shotgun hulls before reloading?  (Read 9277 times)

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How do you clean your shotgun hulls before reloading?
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:21:24 AM »
Howdy Pards, just wonderin how or if ya clean yur shotgun shell hulls before ya reload them.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How do you clean your shotgun hulls before reloading?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
Howdy

I'm a trapshooter in another life, so most of those hulls never make it to the ground. They go directly from the chamber of my trap gun and into the shell bag, and they never get cleaned. Just load 'em up again as is.

In Cowboy, our shells tend to hit the ground. So I give them a quick lookover. If theyr'e a little dusty or sandy, I just give them a quick wipe with a cloth, then reload them. If they fell into a mud puddle and are full of sand, gravel, frogs, and sticks, I might rinse them out, then dry them before reloading them.

But generally speaking, I do not treat my shotshell hulls like brass. I do not clean them. Neither do most trap and skeet shooters that I know, and we go through a lot of shotgun shells.

Black Powder though, that's a whole different matter. Usually after I've fired a hull a whole bunch of times at the trap field I figure I have gotten my money out of it. At that point, I load it up one more time with BP, then just leave it lying where it fell.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 09:49:43 AM »
Thrown mine in a cloth bag 'n put 'em in the washin' machine with the rest of the laundry before.  That'll wash the ink right off AAs.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:43:34 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »
I am a shameless dumpster diver. Like any street bum will admit, after a while it no longer bothers you. It's a matter if survival. So, if they're really dusty or muddy I do not bother scavenging them. I pretty much go for the Remington STS, other Remington hulls and AAs. As for cleaning, I just visually inspect them for debris or dirt inside. I shake the loose stuff out and wipe them with a towel or rag to get the dust off. Any hulls with  caked on debris get tossed. One big help is to mention your plight to a few others and you might find other folks might even gather a few for you or save theirs before they hit the ground. The discard bucket at the unloading table can be a gold mine. Also get to know a few trap or skeet shooters. They'll save their hulls or show you where the Mother Load is.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:14 PM »
 Since I shoot BP  I do wash them and just let them dry (plastic ones)  I have run them thru the tumbler but just to see what happens to them.  Like Hellgate I pick thru the buckets and get replacements
Mathew 5.9

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »
Jist rub 'em on yer britches leg then load it. ;D

I really pick through the ones I get from the range, anything don't look right, I toss it.

I only want STS and gold Remington Nitros to shoot in my BP double. AA's are fine for the 97s.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:04:15 PM »
Oh yeah,
I forgot: I never bother to wash my BP hulls (which is every single one of them). I get about 4-5 loadings before the mouth is toast.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:04:14 AM »
Thanks ya'll.  I most of the time they aren't too bad but got a bucket full the other say that had allot of sand and dirt in it.  Think I'll jus throw themin the washing machine like Arcey said.  I jus won't put them in the oven to dry them like Poney Racer did with his brass hulls. ;D
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Tricky Trina

• Top Active Citizen
  • First Lady of the Fire and Brimstone Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:50:33 AM »
Arcey - what happened to "Sin no more?"   ::)
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:06:26 AM »
I dunno.  Put it sumwheres so I wouldn't lose it........................
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com