Author Topic: Weak side holster and side match revolvers  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Weak side holster and side match revolvers
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:51:39 PM »
First let me see if I understand my SASS book right. On my weak side,,'left since im right handed',,,i can not wear a right holster turned backwards and wear my weak side revolver butt forward?

Second...blackpowder percussion revolvers for the ,,is it plainsman events....do you need two black powder revolvers? While im a fan of the '60Army,,,would a '61 Navy and a '62 Pocket Police suffice? Id like to keep both guns,,,'if I need two' for the side black powder events,,in the same calibre...

Thanks,
Marshal Deadwood

Offline Wild Ben Raymond

• Wild Ben Raymond
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Weak side holster and side match revolvers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:31:58 PM »
MD, I don't know where you read that because I looked in my 06' shooters handbook under holsters on page 16 and can't find anything illegal about using a straight holster as a cross draw rig which is what you would be doing. If I missed it, it must be on another page, or could you be reading this from an older handbook? WBR

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »
Howdy

If that's true, I've been breaking the rules for about 5 years now and nobody has had the heart to tell me.

Of course you can wear a strongside holster on the wrong side and wear it with the pistol butt forward. You will simply treat it as a cross draw holster. I reach across my body with my right hand and grasp the butt of my pistol, having first swivelled my body so that when I draw the muzzle will be pointed down range. Exactly as a cross draw shooter would do, except most cross draw holsters are closer to the front of the body. When rehostering, the shooter must execute the same manuever so the muzzle is down range when he holsters. Notice I did not say DANCE! Nowhere does CAS talk about your feet. It talks about muzzle control.

There is another way to pull a butt forward pistol, but some local clubs will not allow it. To draw a butt forward pistol with the hand on the same side as the gun, you first rotate your wrist so that the palm is facing out. You grasp the gun and start to pull it out. Rotating the wrist will bring the gun to the proper alignment. Some rotate the wrist before the gun breaks leather, some rotate it as they start to point the gun down range. The trick is to rotate the wrist so that the muzzle never breaks the 170 rule. Some clubs have a local rule against this draw, but there is no SASS rule against it. This style of drawing is called the Cavalry Twist, because many troopers carried their pistols butt forward on their strong side. This style of drawing a pistol requires a great deal of practice, so that the muzzle never breaks the 170, and the re holstering must also be done without breaking the 170.

Like I said, some clubs allow it, Some don't.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:45:33 PM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »
Driftwood,,,THAT was the explanation I was looking for!

At least I understand now....and,,,can finish my 'second gun riggin's accordiny.

Marshal Deadwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com