Author Topic: New Vaquero Grips  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Bluff City Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Vaquero Grips
« on: February 09, 2007, 09:56:41 AM »
I bought a new Vaquero Stainless which came with the black factory grips. I been trying to fit them with imitation ivory.
Got a set from Ajax(they said they would fit) but they overlap a bit. I've tried Hogue, No go. Eagle says they can but for $125 I'd like to be sure. Can anybody help?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: New Vaquero Grips
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »
Like any SAA tpre gun, they have to be fitted. Individual grip frames vary from gun to gun........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 01:40:31 PM »
As Four-eyed Buck says, I think any set of simulated ivory grips you get are going to require some trimming and fitting, then final polishing, because they are generally made a wee bit oversize to ensure they aren't too small, and that they will fit regardless of slight variations between gripframes.   You should actually have received instructions to that effect with your grips, I'd have thought.

If you nevertheless feel like getting other grips, I'd like to put in a plug for the very nice and reasonably priced products of "Gripmaker" - a cowboy action shooter hisownself, and a member of CAS City, whom I've had the pleasure of meeting and shooting with - and he does include instructions with his grips.  He'll even provide one or two "duds" - i.e mis-cast grip panels - on request, for a feller to practice the trimming techniques on before starting on the good ones ...

http://www.gripmaker.com/ 

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:03:32 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 434
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
What has been said is correct with Colt & Colt clone SSA's

However Ruger NMV uses a one piece cast grip frame and there is little variation....
( they have several different grip frames though, among there different models )
There for with Ruger you should find grips that will fit with little or no fitting.

Gripmaker is a fine maker if yo want to fit your own, I have sets on my Colt OT's

But if you want just a set of bolt on try these:

http://www.lettgrips.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=MVQ15&Category_Code=MVQ
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 11:47:39 PM »
Howdy Pards and Pardettes.

Bill Will, Pard I want to cast my vote for Tru-Ivory from Bar-S Grips.  I have them on a Colt, and a pair of Beretta Laramies.  I will be having two sets made for a pair of Ruger OM Vaqureos I have in .44 Wcf.  They have areal good product, and they support CAS.

That is all I think I know.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 05:28:51 PM »
I bought a new Vaquero Stainless which came with the black factory grips. I been trying to fit them with imitation ivory.
Got a set from Ajax(they said they would fit) but they overlap a bit. I've tried Hogue, No go. Eagle says they can but for $125 I'd like to be sure. Can anybody help?

Why don't you try to snad em a little to fit? Rough fit with 80-100 grit then follow with 220,400,600,and 1200 (I work with plastics on airplanes adn you can buy plexiglass polishing kits that have a small piece of several finer grits up to 5000 grit. Depending on the material the grips are made of, you might try another technique I use when building golf clubs...When installing a hossel on top of the clup head they must be sanded to fit. I then "polish" them to their original shine with a little acetone and a buffing wheel...Just my .02 worth  ;)
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com