Author Topic: I Need Your Sage Advice!  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Highland Browncoat

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I Need Your Sage Advice!
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:57:47 PM »
I've done about as much research as I can on SAA's - I've narrowed my search down to a few and have some questions that I would love to have your advice on.

First, if I can afford American, I will. Problem is, I just don't like the Vaquero (believe me, I really wanted to but it just didn't feel right and it didn't have some of the attributes I am looking for).

That said, I've got children to feed and I just can't afford a Colt at this point.

That pretty much leaves me with the USFA Rodeo which seems like a very nice gun -- but I haven't been able to hold one yet and am a little nervous about throwing down $600 sight unseen. I've been very impressed with the literature that I've read. Has anyone been dissappointed with this firearm?

I've recently come accross the Charles Daley, but I read somewhere that it was only an import as well. Can anyone confirm it's origin and have you had good or bad experience with this gun? The SS version sure looks pretty.

Are there any other affordable American made SAA's that I've missed?

And, while it's Brazillian, the Gaucho sure is affordable (and lifetime guarantee as well) - has anyone been dissappointed in your Gaucho purchase?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: I Need Your Sage Advice!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
Did you handle both the new model and the old model vaquero?  The new model is smaller than the old model and roughly the same size as a Colt. 

Do you have your heart set on new guns?  If not then you might check around and see if you can find a couple of AWA Longhorns.  They don't make them anymore but if you like the way that a colt feels then you'll like the Longhorns.  They had a problem with soft firing pins so you would want to replace those if you get a pair.

I can't answer your questions on the other guns but if you don't start getting some replies here soon then I'll move the thread around a bit until we find some place that it does get answered. ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:34:07 PM »
I wouldn't trust the Charles Daly guns...
The pair that I bought were advertised as "Made Special for Charles Daly."
What they were instead was a pair of ASM made AWA factory seconds rejected by AWA (when they were the old company.)

The frames were consecutive and were the only salvagable parts.
The cylinders were too soft, the springs were bad and broke after 2 matches... yes ALL the springs.
The hammers and triggers were poorly cut and both pistols were totally out of time in just under 100 shots.

I will never trust the Daly name again.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:06:01 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Everyone seems to have a horror story about every manufacturer or importer.  Bottom line is that all the Charles Daly's for at least the past two years are made by Pietta and are the same as the EMF Great Western II.  They are great guns.  The Gauchos work good for the money and the Rodeos are very nicely made.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com