Poll

How much do you like shooting pistols with Birdshead Grips?

They are best for my small hands
3 (25%)
They are best for my large hands
0 (0%)
They are a good grip for the average joe
3 (25%)
They are ok for plinking every once in a while
1 (8.3%)
They are probably the worst thing I ever purchased
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 16, 2007, 08:51:07 PM

Author Topic: Birdshead Grips advice from those who have shot them  (Read 5621 times)

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Birdshead Grips advice from those who have shot them
« on: January 09, 2007, 08:51:07 PM »
I am thinking about another pistol purchase.  One of the current things on my possible list would be a Lighting Pistol or a Ruger Vaquero with Birdshead grips.  Before slapping down money on one; I wanted to get your shooting impressions of your pistols with Birdshead grips.  I already own a set of standard grip frame pistols and one bisley grip pistol, so I know how those feel and shoot.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Birdshead Grips advice from those who have shot them
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:07:30 PM »
I have two birdsheads vaqueros.  It doesn't have anything to do with hand size.  People either like them or they don't.  They roll a lot in your hands and are very suspectible to recoil.

Shoot some before you invest in them unless you just like them for the way that they look.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:56:45 AM »
Have average size hands and my Uberti Lightning is OK for pocket pistol side matches.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:56:04 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »
I voted "They are probably the worst thing I ever purchased". The following is why I voted that way.
I bought a pair of SS .45 Colt Ruger birdsheads before shooting them with my loads. My loads are as much black powder I can get under a 255 gr boolit, hence a bit of buck and roar. I shoot duelist. At the end of a match, the heel of my hand would be bruised. The grips did not fit my hand for the punishment that my loads can deliver. Therefore, I traded them fer Bisley Vaqueros.

Shoot some before you invest in them ...
Good advice.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »
some like, some don't, some don't care...

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »
Use a clone with a 3 1/2" barrel 'n the birdshead grip for most mainstage stuff.  I like the chuckles I get at the loading table when I toss it beside a 7 1/2" 'n tell folks they're a matched set made in Poland.

There's no problem with the grip.  With my eyes the short barrel is the problem.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:23:05 PM »
I think they are good for the average hands, especially shooting duelist. They are second only to the Bisley in this respect. I have a pair of Ruger Birdsheads in .45 and they are great. As noted they do roll in recoil but I don't find them to roll too much.

As also stated, try to shoot them before you buy them as you will either love them or hate them.

I love them, but I find that Bisley is better for duelist. it's about the hammer, not the grip shape for me. If I had slightly longer thumbs I could be quite happy with the Birdshead over the Bisley.

I also shot the Birdsheads traditional style and they work well for that too.

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.  This is the kind of information I have been looking for.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »
Yer very welcome, pard.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 03:44:47 PM »
 I am trying to shoot duelist.  With recoil it seems to roll back just where I needed it to get my short @$$ thumb, there to cock it again. This I shoot in my off hand.   I guess for the reasons some don't like them is why I do.  The other Ruger is the Vaquero grip it seems big, but more secure. However I use it on my strong side.  If your looking for something with a smaller grip frame size, you might try out a Navy....  Like Arcey, the short barrel and bad eyes are a problem.
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com