Author Topic: AWA Longhorn - Any one shooting them ?  (Read 5175 times)

Offline dogngun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AWA Longhorn - Any one shooting them ?
« on: March 12, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
I bought a NIB AWA Longhorn .357 4 3/4", and I can't get ahold of anyone at the website.
I see several here have these guns, or had them, anyway.I think AWA went out of business again.

But, about the Longhorns:
How are they holding up ? What problems, if any ? Good quality, etc.

I have been a SA revolver fan and shooter for over 30 years, mostly Rugers and German Colt types (Hammerli, Sauer, etc) and this is a fine handling gun, IMHO and everything feels right and fits well and it is great fun to shoot.
 BUT - I have read some bad things about them, and I'd like to hear about the Longhorns from any long-term shooters.

Thanks, everyone.

Dogngun

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: AWA Longhorn - Any one shooting them ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
I have a pair in .45 x 5 1/2".  Had a minor problem with the cylinder pin in one binding up. Got it fixed and they're great now.

Be very careful when you take the backstrap off or you'll be chasing the hand spring and plunger all over the place. One of my springs vanished into a 1977 vintage gold shag carpet and even a magnet didn't recover it.  Thank goodness for ball point pens.

Also be aware that they have a two position cylinder pin.  If you push it in too far the hammer hits the pin and won't drop far enough to fire the gun...stupid safety measure.

Would I recommend them?  Oh, yeah.  I like mine.

awaguns.com

should take you to their site.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 08:47:52 PM »
I have and shoot two AWA Longhorns.  I bought them used but was told that the original firing pins had very soft metal in them and were wearing out quickly.  The firing pins were replaced before I got them.  After I got them the base pins were replaced with new locking base pins.  I have been shooting them and average of 4 matches since July of 2005 without any problems.  The previous owner probably dry fire practiced with them nightly and averages 2 matches per weekend 12 months a year.   :)  Yes, I'm serious about that.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:10 AM »

Offline dogngun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 04:44:42 AM »
Thank yo very much. I really like mine, too. So far I have put several hundred commercial 125 gr. .357 mag rounds through it, and at least that many in various .38 special. The problems I found were minor - the base pin wanted to move back to its "safety" position when the gun was fired with magnums, and the hammer was rubbing against one side of the frame in one small area.
I cut the end off the base pin, but I eventually will replace it, either with a Belt Mountain or an original Colt pin. The hammer was sanded down on both sinde, which removed the color, but also cleared the high spot.
The gun shoots great, and has become a favorite at the range, and occasionally a carry/woods gun .

THanks again for your experiences.

BTW, I have not been able to email AWA for the last several months - I'm looking for an owners manual and an idea when these guns were made.

Mark

Offline dogngun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:53:23 AM »
I have to thank you all again - I just read a post on another forum  where the poster says that AWA parts are "soft" - I guess they are still strong enough to last for all those matches.

Also, I do believe AWA is gone again - I have been using their email address for almost 2 months and have not been able to contact them.

Hang on th these guns - there may be no more.

Mark

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 10:07:52 AM »
dogngun - the firing pins won't last too long...as I said the ones that I have had the firing pins replaced before I ever bought them.  I believe that mine were replaced with Colt hammers and firing pins.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 10:49:51 AM »
They aren't a very big operation and may not answer e-mails promptly.

(305) 828-1982

Call and ask for Russ.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline dogngun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 12:05:02 PM »
Thank you. I called this afternoon, and found this : The investors pulled out of AWA about a year ago, to put their money elsewhere. The working people remaining are still rumming the company as AWA-US. They are starting production again, and will be able to furnish copies of the owners manual for the Longhorn and Peacekeeper revolvers in the future. ( They told me they have only ONE COPY, and are re-typing it right now.)

It sounds like this has become a little company that's trying to stay alive. I hope they make it.
They made a good product.
Their email is     rustyguns@nfx.net

Phone is: 1 305-828-1982

Thanks again, AWA shooters.

Mark

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 09:45:51 PM »
I have and shoot two AWA Longhorns.  I bought them used but was told that the original firing pins had very soft metal in them and were wearing out quickly.  The firing pins were replaced before I got them.  After I got them the base pins were replaced with new locking base pins.  I have been shooting them and average of 4 matches since July of 2005 without any problems.  The previous owner probably dry fire practiced with them nightly and averages 2 matches per weekend 12 months a year.   :)  Yes, I'm serious about that.
He/she shoulda bought Ruger Vaqueros I hear you can dryfire them 'till the cows come home an still have a shootin iron that's fit for any match without havin ta be repaired. A Shamless plug from the R.A.T. #242
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 07:56:57 AM »
You can wear out the transer bar on a Ruger.  If one does much dry fire practicing it would probably be prudent to keep one around,
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 10:15:52 AM »
Prudent?! I would say it's an absolute necessity, and yes Ms. Eonich most anything can wear out anything that is, except hope!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline dogngun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 11:25:45 AM »
RE AWA:
I used the phone number in the above post, contacted AWA and recieved a new made copy of the owner's manual for the" first edition" of AWA revolvers.
I was told they are in kind of a rebuilding phase right now, and I expect to see them back in business of some sort soon.

Thanks again for all the information on your use of these very good revolvers.

Thanks for the plugs on Rugers, too - I have owned several, including a .45 Old Vaq Convertable, but they don't feel right to me - I like the Colt types better, but there is nothing wrong with a Ruger for rugged.

Thank all of you again for your kindness-this is a very pleasurable site.

Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com