Author Topic: 1895 Winchester Lee Navy  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
1895 Winchester Lee Navy
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Picked up an 1895 Lee Navy today at auction. Project gun. (chopped to carbine). Missing extractor, & need to replace the firing pin. Anyone know of illustrated parts breakdown, or instructions for removing & installing the bolt? Further review, it is a cut down civilian model, lacks the NCT inspection stamp. I have seen pictures of the civilian model, sn only on the receiver.
This has 3 lines
U   .N.
sn 18xx
J    .J.

Figuring a lot out, need a sear spring also.

I guess for now, its a hall hanger, parts order on hold.

Thanks
Brian

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: 1895 Winchester Lee Navy
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
S&S Firearms had some parts, along with the reprint of the Gov't. manual.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:33:01 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »
Brian,
any success with S&S in finding parts?

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
Years ago I had the US Navy ammunition belt and straps for the Lee Navy rifle, I forget how many clip pockets it had.

A picture of the blue webbing is shown here, my sample was obtained from Bannermans.

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/United%20States%20Rifles/M1895%20Winchester-Lee/Winchester%201895%20rifle.html

Only the flaps were leather, the belt, shoulder straps and pouches were web.

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/United%20States%20Rifles/M1895%20Winchester-Lee/WINCHESTER%20LEE%20NAVY%20RIFLE.jpg

Offline 6mm USN

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
Picked up an 1895 Lee Navy today at auction. Project gun. (chopped to carbine). Missing extractor, & need to replace the firing pin. Anyone know of illustrated parts breakdown, or instructions for removing & installing the bolt? Further review, it is a cut down civilian model, lacks the NCT inspection stamp. I have seen pictures of the civilian model, sn only on the receiver.
This has 3 lines
U   .N.
sn 18xx
J    .J.

Figuring a lot out, need a sear spring also.

I guess for now, its a hall hanger, parts order on hold.

Thanks
Brian

Try Forgotten Weapons.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/M1895-Navy-Lee-manual.pdf
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/leehandbook.pdf

Yours was a Military rifle that some long gone human decided to change for not the better.  There were two inspectors for the Winchester Lee.  N.C.T. (Nathan C. Twinning) and J.N.J (John N. Jordan)

http://proofhouse.com/cm/us_inspector.htm

It could be the middle initals were worn/buffed off of your rifle by age or intent.

The top line should read U. S. N.

Six

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »
River,

I hope you are taking good care of yours...
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »
River,

I hope you are taking good care of yours...

Captain Barrett, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse . . .

I had found a period bayonet for it, plus repro strap and reprint of the Govt. manual from S & S Ltd.. I was beginning to plan gathering shooting components when "the offer" came to me. I had put out some feelers to gauge interest and somebody bit.

RCJ

p.s. I have since put my effort towards acquiring a Swedish Mauser and reloading components, plus accoutrements to do a Boer impression. Just got my footwear the other day and am breaking them in.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
R.C.J., Kind Sir,
Always enjoy reading your posts.
Just curious, but unless I missed it in an earlier post, which format/militia are you going to do as an impression, the Norwegian/Swedish cadre that served in the Boer Wars or the Afrikaans contingent? Either way will be a grand historical endeavor!
Please post pics and all the data/research as you develop your personnae for same as those of us that can't get out much rely on those of you that can.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe
GAF

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
I came across a book called, "The American Steel Navy", by John D. Alden, Commander, U.S. Navy (retired).

Excellent pictures covers the period from 1883 to 1909, with a few pictures of the Marines in Apia, Peking, and Seoul.

The pictures show some of their equipment, cartridge pouches and machine guns.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »
A channel was cut through the top of the receiver, removing the S in U.S.N, & the N in J.N.J

Brian

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
R.C.J., Kind Sir,
Always enjoy reading your posts.
Just curious, but unless I missed it in an earlier post, which format/militia are you going to do as an impression, the Norwegian/Swedish cadre that served in the Boer Wars or the Afrikaans contingent? Either way will be a grand historical endeavor!
Please post pics and all the data/research as you develop your personnae for same as those of us that can't get out much rely on those of you that can.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe
GAF

Scandanavian Korps that served in Second Boer War.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com