The works of a greenhorn

Started by Graveyard Jack, April 14, 2013, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graveyard Jack

These are my first several leather projects. Been trying to find the time to do them over the last year or so. Only really got anything finished in the last six months. Helpful hints and criticism welcome. I've also done some stuff not pictured, including a fringed elk skin book pouch, a belt pouch for loose .22's and a blackpowder hunting pouch. Both turning out rather well I think.

My first serious project was the knife sheath, then the Slim Jim crossdraw for the 3rd Model Dragoon. Left to right, the newest holster, this time for a Remington 1858 and border stamped. The Dragoon in the center and another for the Colt 1860 with metal spots and an antique pewter concho. To the right is the knife sheath, done back in the fall. The belt is the latest project (still unfinished), which has stamping, spots and conchos. All are far from perfect but I do think each finished work is better than the last.

SASS #81,827

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

You can hold your head up high on any of these holsters, well done all around Craig, you have talent to say the least, and welcome to our forum, we're very happy to have you join in with us, we have a lot of talent here and the sharing is just the best, so jump in and be part of it, questions are always welcomed.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

ChuckBurrows

As I noted over on MLF VERY nicely done Craig and I really like the colors you're getting especially on the Rem M63 (the M1858 appellation while widely used is incorrect FWIW) and Colt M1860 holsters.
If you ever want more of those conchos like the one on the M1860 they're available from Buffalo Brothers - don't remember the model and it comes in 2 or 3 sizes.

As for a beaded sheath - when you get there and if you would like some advice or whatever drop me a line here via a PM or via email.   
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Cliff Fendley

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Outstanding! Sure doesn't look like a Greenhorn's work to me. We look forward to seeing your future projects
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

Very nice work, Craig. These are really good. Looking forward to more of your work. Welcome to the forum.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Graveyard Jack

Thank you all very much for the kind words. I went through all the picture threads, including the 278page monster and am blown away by the talent represented here. You guys are a real inspiration!

I've gotta finish that belt because I'm really hot to do a beaded sheath.

Chuck, I left a more detailed note on MLF.  ;D
SASS #81,827

KidTerico

Beautiful job. Keep them coming. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Slowhand Bob

WOW, really nice!  I see stuff everyday,  made by an old timer, that doesnt look near as good.   :-[

Graveyard Jack

Thanks again for the kind word!
SASS #81,827

ChurchandSon

A Pilgrim in the Unholy Land of Kydex

Graveyard Jack

SASS #81,827

Forty Rod

Very nice work.

BTW, I love those old style conchos and bought a bucket full from Beverly Flitcroft at The Cloak Drummer about a year ago.  I got four sizes and fours designs.  She had even more.  I think she said she gets them from a maker someplace in Colorado.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

ChuckBurrows

Rod - the ones that Cloak Drummer are selling are a bit different from the Buffalo Bros - they are made in Ignacio, Colorado and are stamped rather than being cast pewter like the Buffalo Bros offerings - I used to use the ones from Ignacio a lot, but then the company got sold and they started using much thinner metal that just wasn't up to par. I understand though the original owners took over again and maybe they're back up to par - reckon I'll try getting some and see if they've improved.

BB cast some of their offerings off the ones from Ignacio, thus the similar styles....

Craig - again nice work and look forward to palaverin' with you
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Forty Rod

Quote from: ChuckBurrows on April 16, 2013, 12:42:21 PM
Rod - the ones that Cloak Drummer are selling are a bit different from the Buffalo Bros - they are made in Ignacio, Colorado and are stamped rather than being cast pewter like the Buffalo Bros offerings - I used to use the ones from Ignacio a lot, but then the company got sold and they started using much thinner metal that just wasn't up to par. I understand though the original owners took over again and maybe they're back up to par - reckon I'll try getting some and see if they've improved.

BB cast some of their offerings off the ones from Ignacio, thus the similar styles....

Craig - again nice work and look forward to palaverin' with you

I guess I got some of each, thick, very substantial ones and some a lot thinner.  I'll find something to use all of them on...some day.

Thanks for the info.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Biscuit Joe

You got some very nice colors and finish on your holsters and belt.
Very nice work!

Red Cent

But they look so....so....so old fashioned.

Seriously Craig, those look like the "real" thing. Nice detail. Maybe in a few years, I will learn this dagnab machine and come close to those.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

TexasToby

Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com