help with money belt.

Started by Boothill Bob, April 24, 2012, 07:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boothill Bob

Howdy pards.
I belive I make the money belts in wrong order (making my second right now) I stitch the cape, billet and the loops first as all of you. Then I glue the mainseam and stitch it. After that I drain the belt in water, wait awile and tap the foldline with a mallet. Its hard to get a
nice foldline so I belive I do it in the wrong order ???

//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

davemyrick

Before folding the belt for stitching, I use a v gouge on the flesh side of the leather to thin it at the fold and have good results.

Dave

KidTerico

Bob ask TW. He makes the nicest money belt I,ve seen. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Cliff Fendley

Bob, I fold and crease mine before stitching. Then I cut the ends where I want them so the front and back match perfectly. Get the leather real wet on the inside and cased good on the outside. Fold it and run a wooden roller up the fold then run an edge creaser up the edge of the seam.

Anything over 4-5 oz is kind of hard to get a good sharp fold.

I've been making a lot of money belts lately. Here are a couple I just finished, the darker one is heavier leather around 5-6 oz. The Meanea style rig is Wickett and Craig russet skirting 4-5 oz on the belt.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Those are beautiful, Cliff. Thanks for the tips.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Boothill Bob

Thanx Cliff, I'll try that on my next one. Your rigs are very beautiful, you are a tru artist pard.

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

KidTerico

Cliff those are GREAT looking belts. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Cliff Fendley

Thanks fellas.

To clarify, I leave the ends just a little long on the body until the main seam is glued up. Then I can cut the ends square or whatever radius and the front and back match up perfectly.

Johnson County Rangers

TN Mongo

Cliff,

Very nice looking work!

I've never made a money belt.  I assume that the billets are stitched on before the belt is folded over so the wearer could actually put his gold or silver coins in the belt.  I have seen some recent production belts where the billets were stitched through both sides.  I guess that type has the look, but is not true to the original design.

Cliff Fendley

Yes the billets and bullet loops are stitched before stitching the main seam. This way the belt is hollow the whole length. The tongue is fed through slots in the body of the belt before going through the buckle to close up the end and keep contents from working out.

They are a lot of work but I love money belts. The Meanea rig pictured I made for myself, the holster is lined and everything is hand stitched with 5 cord linen. A lot of stitches in that money belt with the billets, loops, and main seam.

There is not a more comfortable belt than a wide money belt.

Johnson County Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice examples Cliff, you and I make money belts the same way, and I agree, nothing more comfortable than a well made money belt.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Boothill Bob

Here is the outcome.... Its ok, have to practis some more  ;)

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

outrider

Mongo...I have made several money belts and basically do it the same way that Cliff does.  If you want come up to the shop and I can show you the steps in making one
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Skeeter Lewis

Beautiful belts, Cliff. I'll use that advice on my next money belt...

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks good to me, BB. Nice job. 8)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Looks good Bob

tEN ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Cliff Fendley

Bob, it looks great, looks like you got it all figured out. Nice work.

Johnson County Rangers

Boothill Bob

Thanx pards. Are the wider belts more comfortable to were?

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

TN Mongo

Very nice job Bob!

Outrider, I'm done with school in a few weeks, maybe I can come up and see you then.

Cliff Fendley

Quote from: Boothill Bob on May 03, 2012, 12:34:46 PM
Thanx pards. Are the wider belts more comfortable to were?

They are for me. Especially with my bad back, I wear it just about the top of my hips and with it cinched up snug, it holds the holsters in place well and also acts like a lower back brace.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com