Author Topic: Pietta question.  (Read 17451 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pietta question.
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
I asked on another board but got no response, so I'll try here!  I have a pair of cap and ball Piettas, Navy grips, and would like to put bird head grips on them.  My question, does Pietta make a SAA style cartridge line that might have the bird head grip frames that could be used on my pistols?  I would actually even prefer brass but beggars can not be choosers!  Anyone know?

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Pietta question.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
I asked on another board but got no response, so I'll try here!  I have a pair of cap and ball Piettas, Navy grips, and would like to put bird head grips on them.  My question, does Pietta make a SAA style cartridge line that might have the bird head grip frames that could be used on my pistols?  I would actually even prefer brass but beggars can not be choosers!  Anyone know?

Pietta makes the Birdshead grip for the GWII SAA.  Parts are lisdted on VTIs site

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=74&cat=Pietta+1873+Colt+GWII
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
FM, I know that the Uberti SAA grip frames are interchangeable with their Navy models but I do not know the same applies to the Great Western and the Pietta Navy?  For some reason I am thinking that the Great Western was a beefed up version of the SAA, somewhat similar to the old model Vaqueros?  I will check around for a Great Western dealer and see if they know for sure.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:32:49 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1276
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
I don't think the Pietta is a larger frame than the Colt SAA.  It is possible that the cylinder is a couple thousandths larger, as is the Uberti.  But since Pietta makes Thunderer-gripped percussion models as well as for the SAA types, I would be pretty confident that it is the same gripframe and grip (which, BTW, are somewhat smaller and thinner than the Uberti version).  VTi could probably tell you.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
The Pietta grip frames and backstraps interchange between most of their guns.  Their 61 Nave all steel model has the GWII backstrap and trigger guard.  I just talked to Alisandro at the shot show.  They have all kinds of C&B's that are not imported into the U.S.  They had several with birdshead and Thunderer style grips.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
FM, I know that the Uberti SAA grip frames are interchangeable with their Navy models but I do not know the same applies to the Great Western and the Pietta Navy?  For some reason I am thinking that the Great Western was a beefed up version of the SAA, somewhat similar to the old model Vaqueros?  I will check around for a Great Western dealer and see if they know for sure.

The Pietta GWII grip frames are compatible with the Pietta C&Bs.  I have a steel framed sheriffs model '51 Navy and a sheriffs model '61 Navy that I've put the GWII grip frames & grips on.  While not birds head - they will fit.

AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:22:19 AM »
Thanks guys, you are my heros, fer sure!  I checked the VTI web page and they do have the GW grip frames in bird head style but only as unfinished steel.  Funny but VTI does not list anything but the '60 Army and the '51 Navy in their parts list and definitely no BH grip frames for either. 

Fingers, you know what they say about great minds, well that .44 '51 is the pair of pistols I want to add the grips to.  I'm thinking checkered black buffalo horn grips, are those grip frames you added stainless or polished?  I really like this Pietta fantasy gun and mine have worked great from the box so far, stock nipples and all. To be honest, they have not been pushed yet but I do hope to use them in match conditions soon.       

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
Fingers, you know what they say about great minds, well that .44 '51 is the pair of pistols I want to add the grips to.  I'm thinking checkered black buffalo horn grips, are those grip frames you added stainless or polished?  I really like this Pietta fantasy gun and mine have worked great from the box so far, stock nipples and all. To be honest, they have not been pushed yet but I do hope to use them in match conditions soon.       

The picture is of one of the .36 Caliber Marshall models- I have a pair of the .44s; but could only get one of the white grips, so I did the .36.  I actually got the grip frames and grips from a gun dealer friend of mine.  BS/TG were both blued steel that I stripped and polished.  The other set with walnut grips went on an engraved 1861 .36 cal Marshalls model.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:54:25 AM »
On the Pietta website they actually have several models with the birdshead grips, Army and Navy, long and short barreled.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
I can not imagine these being any more expensive than the VTI prices on unfinished parts so is there a direct source for parts through any of the distributors?  Finished parts might require some work but nothing like what I have experienced with some of the rough castings.  I would have preferred staying with brass also but either will work.   

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:44:15 PM »
I can not imagine these being any more expensive than the VTI prices on unfinished parts so is there a direct source for parts through any of the distributors?  Finished parts might require some work but nothing like what I have experienced with some of the rough castings.  I would have preferred staying with brass also but either will work.   

Call EMF and see what parts they might have in the 'back room'

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »
Will do BUT will EMF parts fit Piettas?  Who would be the largest EMF distributor in the US?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »
EMF is a distributor.  They sell Piettas.  Go to http://www.emf-company.com/ - see that "Thunderer" style gun on their home page (they call it the Express)?  That is a Pietta.  Check with them to see if they have the gripframes and grips.  Cimarron sells a similar Pietta now as well (they call it the Thunderball) but I can tell you that they don't have those parts in stock yet. 

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
EMF is a distributor.  They sell Piettas.  Go to http://www.emf-company.com/ - see that "Thunderer" style gun on their home page (they call it the Express)?  That is a Pietta.  Check with them to see if they have the gripframes and grips.  Cimarron sells a similar Pietta now as well (they call it the Thunderball) but I can tell you that they don't have those parts in stock yet. 

+1

Beat me to it Abilene.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »
Thanks a great deal deal guys, it does seem they have gone to the Thunderer style grips big time but that is not what I was hoping for.  I realize that often it seems more like perception than what can be measured but my favorite grip on a SAA or Navy sized frame has turned out to be the bird head and second is the Pietta Navy style.  Seems my hands get around those more and the reach for the hammer is easier also.  I do have a try gun in the P Jr size that has the Thunderer grips on it and in this case they are better, due to the extra room fer fat fingers.   At the end of the day I do have my second choice on the .44 Navies and can settle since they are great shooters.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
Bob,

Do contact EMF as they import most of Pietta's Stainless line and may have the "sets" you want in stainless.  Last but not least, you can
E-mail Allasandro Pietta in Italy (alias is Alcamista) and explain what you want.  Be surprised at how much he can help.

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
Just be clear when you talk to a supplier about what you want.  Most people use the term "Birdshead" when they are describing the Thunderer (full size) and Lightning (smaller frame size) grips.  But in reality the term birdshead refers to a rounded type of grip without the "hump" of the Thunderer grip.  I know Uberti make some guns with the rounded birdshead types, don't know if Pietta does (haven't seen any).

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:21 PM »
I know Uberti make some guns with the rounded birdshead types, don't know if Pietta does (haven't seen any).

Can't say for certain; but, VTI lists birdhead grip frames and grips under the Pietta GWII heading:

8    SAA5502 Pietta Backstrap Birdhead Unfinished (1873 SA, GWII)  US$70.00
11  SAA5504 Pietta Grip Unfinished Birdhead (1873 SA, GWII)  US$50.00

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
Gentlemen: FYI,  Uberti and Pietta gripframes are interchangeable if you cannot find the brand you want. I have interchanged Colt gripframe parts to Sauers, Ubertis and Piettas and every kind of mix/match you can think of between these parts. Only modification ever needed was when I put a 3rd Gen. backstrap on my JP Sauer and had to shorten the TG to accomodate shorted Colt backsatrap.
HOWEVER...remember to use the screws that match the mainframe only.  Uberti Thunderer gripframes will fit Piettas. Been there, done that and even converted to cartridge. Check out www.gripmaker.com, Guns and Grips page and view the short barreled Pietta 61 Navy with Colt gripframe and antiqued stag grips. Some NCOWS member should still have these as they were sold at first convention in KC couple of years ago.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
Capt, thanks a bunch and I would have never thunk it!  I actually have a set of bird head frames on one of my Uberti SAAs and will give it a try on the PIetta Navy model.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com