Does Anyone Have Stitching Horse Plans?

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, January 15, 2011, 05:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I have done my internet searches, and all I seem to find on this subject is a now closed sale of a DVD and plans for a hybrid stitching horse/pony.

Does anyone have plans for a stitching horse that has a built in stool/chair with it?

I am thinking that with the size of the  member group on this forum there has to be somebody who has some .....

Thanks!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

I feel pretty sure that you can find some plans in the back of the Stohlman book on sewing.

Cliff Fendley

I'm pretty sure your right on that Bob, I remember somewhere in some of my old paperwork with my first big Tandy leathercraft set there were some plans for one and I believe it was in the All Stohlman sewing book. I've seen All Stohlmans book on sewing recently but don't know if they still have the same paperwork or not.

I'm sure I've still got it.......but where? ??? I'll take a look around though.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Boothill Bob

Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

WaddWatsonEllis

Thank Y'all for your help ...

I had sent a thank you with the covers of both books on the page, but the server would not accept one the pics ....

So thanks again for the prod in the right direcetion ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Chuck 100 yd

The plans are in All Stohlman sewing book. I made one that uses my bench vise as the base. I prefer to work standing up.
I use a bed sheet to cover everything in the area to keep the thread clean and from catching on everything in sight.

Have fun!!  :D

WaddWatsonEllis

Chuck,

The Tandy out here is open six days a week. Since they are closed on Sunday, I am gonna have to wait for Monday, cause I am 95% vrtain that they have bot the Stohlman Book and the one by Will Ghormley  ... no sense paying for shipping if the are both in stock ...

NCOWS #3403

Wolf Tracker

Hi WaddWatsonEllis
You can find a set of plans in an old farm book from 1919. If you go to

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL6619268M/Farm_woodwork
you can either read the book online or download it to a PDF file for free. The plans start on page 99. Hope it helps.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

WaddWatsonEllis

Wolf Tracker,

I really felt that I had Al Stohlman's book in my house ....

So I just went through a very aincient pile of papers and voila! There is was!

I guess there is no more excuses or reasons to procrastinate ....Time to start buying supplies ....

NCOWS #3403

cody

What would be a fair price to pay for one of those?

WaddWatsonEllis

Cody,

For plans, I would think $10-20$

I was just on this website, and they want about $350 for their horse ... which considering labor and materials, does not seem our of range:

http://www.caledonleather.ca/stitch-horse.html

But they don't do plans ....

NCOWS #3403

Dalton Masterson

I used to have a set of plans from one of the older leather working magazines. I will do some checking...
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

WaddWatsonEllis

As a certified wood butcher, a couple of thoughts on making one of these;

The angles of the legs where they meet up to the sub seat are crucial. There is almost no room for error ...

Putting in the leveler screws would be really beneficial ... if everyone's garage floor is as out of horizontal as mine ... but I think I would sink the holes for the leveller bolts before I cut the angles on the bottom of the legs ....

I have seen stitching horses that allwoed the jaws to rotate ... that would be a really nice feature, but I can't remember where I saw it ... but if I work on the seat and legs first, someone might volunteer pictureds of one with a rotating set of jaws ...

Hint hint *S*

NCOWS #3403

Wild Billy Potts

Quote from: Chuck 100 yd on January 16, 2011, 03:29:53 PM
The plans are in All Stohlman sewing book. I made one that uses my bench vise as the base. I prefer to work standing up.
I use a bed sheet to cover everything in the area to keep the thread clean and from catching on everything in sight.

Have fun!!  :D

I like this idea. Can you post pictures of the whole arrangement?

Chuck 100 yd

I would be glad to pard. I will try to do it tomorrow night. They are very simple to make and uses the vice as the working part.  ;)

Branding Iron Bill

Patrick  D.
AKA Branding Iron Bill SASS 2019
6th generation son of the Texas Republic since 1824
USFA CSS
SCORRS
RATS
A proud Henry owner.
STORM (Love my R-M 44's)

Chuck 100 yd

Friend Wild Billy Potts , Here are a couple pictures of my "Horse"  ;)

I am a subscriber to the K.I.S.S. principle as you can see.
If it aint broke,don`t fix it!

I made mine out of some Walnut I had laying around. Any kind of wood will do. ;)

JD Alan

I don't have plans but I have one I bought from a widow of a leather worker. The head turns any way you need it to. It's in great shape and works perfectly.

Having visited Skip on my way back to Oregon from WC's shop in Reseda I can testify that this guy is a wood worker supreme!
PM coming your way Skip.

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com