** Photos Added: ** What do you holster to go along with your Spencer?

Started by Two Flints, June 16, 2005, 08:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Hi,

When I worked out my persona, it included owning S&W Schofields with the addition of the Spencer to my outfit.  I have the Slim Jim holster and money/cartridge belt by Old West Reproductions (Rick Bauchman) and an original Spencer shotgun. What do you guys carry to go along with your Spencer?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

mtmarfield

Greetings!

Well... I'll tell you what I'd LOVE to pack with my Spencer! First choice would be a S&W #3 Old-Old Model Russian: basically, a S&W 'American' chambered for the .44 Russian Ctg.. It would also need the 8" Bbl., and nickel plate would be a tempting option.
My second choice, neck&neck with the S&W, would be a Colt Double Action Army Model 1878, with a 5-1/2" Bbl. and the same finish options. I simply love the feel of this revolver!!
Now: whose going to make these? My N.A. Schofield is nice, but it's not an Old-Old/American #3! I'm also not really into packing my Colt 1902 "Alaskan/Philippine" DAA around, even though it's been to the "Buffing-Wheel Re-blue" gunsmith {?}! Dad says that I should carry it to wear some of that re-blue off!

Sorry for the Ramble! Be Well, All!

MTM
                                 6-16-05

US Scout

I like to use my Spencer as part of a military outfit. 

Sometimes I use it with percussion pistols (both Colt and Remington), carrying them in a pair of CW-period flap holsters.  I load out of the carbine box on the back of my belt. I use a haversack to carry my shotgun shells.  No, I'm not fast, but since I'm shooting a Spencer speed is denitely not an important factor to begin with.

Other time, I prefer to use my conversions in .44 Colt.  In this case, I use a converted Remington and a Richards converted Colt.  My rig is a pair of Trailrider's Fichet-Miller holsters, a leather prairie belt for pistol and rifle cartriges, and a canvas prairie belt for shotshells.   

Two Flints

Hi,

At our shoots, I carry my S&W Schofields in a Slim Jim rig by Rick Bachman,  my Spencer fits into a scabbard that Rick (SSS member) made for me using his original Spencer as a guide.  The scabbard has a shoulder strap with about 20 bullet loops.  I use the scabbard when hunting with my Spencer.  I sling the scabbard over my right shoulder and use my right hand to control the movement of the scabbard, 'cause the Spencer is so heavy to its backside.

I  have the .45 Schofield Spencer, which of course shoots the same round as my S&W Schofield revolvers.   I like things simple  ;D ;D ;D ;D same rounds for all that I shoot.   

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Grapeshot

that depends on my mood.  If I want to create a millitary impression, I carry the 1860 Colt Armies for CW era.  Early Indian War stuff I use the 1860 RM Conversions.

If I want to give the impression of an early CW period scout, it'll be a brace of 1st Model Dragoons.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Gunner

Depends what kind of mood I am in...
My brace of Rem MNA w/ R&D conversions, or....
My '51 & 61 Navy conversions...
On rare occasions, my NA Schofield. ;D
Gunner SASS #1940L
Spencer Shooting Society #1/Founder, LASSOOS #1s/Founder, SBSS, SCORRS, BOSS, STORM, PoR
"..I wanna be a cowboy when I grow up.."

French Jack

Either a Rogers & Spencer, a S&W Schofield, or a 75 Remington.  Usually a Rogers & Spencer.
French Jack

Steel-eye Steve

For reenacting, two DA Starrs on the saddle and one more on my pistol belt. An 1840 "old Wristbreaker" Cavalry Saber is for real close encounters. For CAS, a Starr SA and either a Rem New Army repro or a 1860 snub nose.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

O.T. Buchannan

My Spencer is an original in .56-50 calibre.  My side-arm of choice is a RM 1860 Conversion in .44 calibre, with the 8 inch barrel.  If I am shooting a match that requires a second revolver, then the 1872 Open Top, also in .44 calibre, is my second revolver.

Other than that, a par of Starr Self-Cocking Army revolvers in .44 calibre.
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Black River Smith

For me it will be the 1858 Rem 44Colt conversion firing the 44Colt and/or the 1872 Open Top firing the 44Rus.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

My current Spencer is a 56-50 Taylor's. I holster an 1872 Open Top in .45 Schofield (My Hnery shoots a .45 Schofield load, too) and an 1873 cavalry model .45 Hartford.  I will be getting another Schofield, so it will be a Schofield and Open top most of the time.

TUolumne Lawman SSS# 43
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

tommy4toes

I agree with the conversions to go along with the Spencer - they just look right. I even went as far as to get a IW period flap holster and cartridge box to go on that "fair-weather-Christian" belt. Another plus is there's no way you can get a .44 Colt to chamber in the Spencer - it just slips right out the barrel.
t4toes

Drydock

Depending on how I feel that day, It'll either be a pair of 1861 C&Bs, or a pair of 7 1/2" SAAs,
.45 colt. Shoot .45 S&W in those to match my Spencer.   For A full Military Impression I'll
Holster a single Colt Richards Conversion (one of the few good ASMs) with an M1860 Ames
saber on the other side.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

tommy4toes

helo all - for me it's the .44 Colt conversions - no mistaking the cartridges and even if you do, it'll slip right through the Spencer barrel :)
t4t

Fighting Bob Evans

Well, I use a 7" Schofield on my strong side and a 5" in the cross draw. All three are in .45
S & W. ;D

Two Flints

;D ;D ;D   Hi Fighting Bob Evans,

It sure does simplify things having  all three shooting the same caliber.  I have both 7"'  S&W Schofields and my Spencer also using  .45 Schofield rounds.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

Well, I just decided to start using the pair of charcoal blue Cimarron Richards-Mason .44 Colts as my primary guns.  They go equally well with either my Henry (also charcoal blue) or my Spencer.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

bluesuit01

Depending on the reenactment, 1 or 2 1860 Colt Armys or a Remington.
Timothy Downey
I Company, 8th KY Cavalry
Spencer Shooting Society #96
Grand Army of the Frontier #408

clyde

Excellent question !
It enables me to tell you that I've just bought a Wells Fargo 1st model Schofield revolver (original) to go along with my original Spencer carbine.
Life is too short to be small  !!!!

Now THAT was not reasonable, was it ?

PS : It will make some people crazy, but I actually plan to shoot it - once, twice a year.

Clyde - Spencer Shooter SSS 57

Sloan Dodgy

Most shoots you will find me with a Taylor's Spencer in .44 Russian, BP of course, and a brace of 1860 Armys.  Once in a while I'll bring out the 1872 Open-Tops in .44 which love the same ammo.  I can feel the neeeed for a .56-50 creeping up on me... ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com