Maybe old news, but still good info.

Started by Pulp, April 02, 2010, 01:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulp

I was reminded of this link while on another forum.  It's probably been discussed here back before I was a member, but just in case, here it is again.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Deadeye Dick

Pulp,
I hadn't seen this study before. Very eye opening! I use Ballistol and Bore Butter a lot. Guess I had better not rely on Bore Butter to prevent rust.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

fourfingersofdeath

Through no fault of my own, I was on the right track it seems. I will be sticking with 'essence of stink bug' (Ballistol) after readin gthat test.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Dick Dastardly

I've been a proponent of Ballistol for many years.  My guns remain rust free.  Could be something to that study.  Thanks Pulp.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Drayton Calhoun

Could be because of the enzymes produced by the bees in the making of the beeswax that causes the problem?
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Blackpowder Burn

Since being converted to the Dark Side, I've tried many things to prevent corrosion.  The worst problem I had was the cylinder pin on my SAA's.  I tried synthetic oils and greases, Teflon containing oils, etc.  The thing that finally worked was using straight Ballistol on the cylinder pins and cylinder bushings.  No problems at all since I began using it.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

will52100

A good article and test.  But like the man said, unprotected clean steel won't rust eigther.  Unless I shoot a match in the rain I generaly don't clean for a day or two.  Sometimes I've went as far as a couple weeks without cleaning, I was shooting everyday as well, didn't see the need to clean untill putting them up for a while.  I had a 60 army sit in my parents house for over 10 years that hadn't been cleaned and it had no rust on it when I finaly took it down and cleaned it and fixed it.  With real black powder as long as the gun stays dry and can't pull moister from the air it seems that it won't cause rust.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

will52100

Should also add I'm a big believer in ballistol oil, great stuff!
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Percussion Pete

This is why I always use and promote Ballistol.
Pete

Dick Dastardly

Moosemilk is a saturated colloidal suspension of Ballistol and water.  I use a Moosemilk spa to drop my pistols into and I use a spritz of Moosemilk down the bores of my long guns to clean them.  I use Boresnakes to clean the bores and chambers but that's immaterial.  The reason I mention Moosemilk is that when it's used for cleaning it leaves a film of Ballistol when the water evaporates off.

Ballistol is a fine lubricant, preservative, rust proofer and gun cleaner.  I just wish I'd have invented it.

Another fine rust preventative lubricant that I've found is Boeshield T-9.  However, it's not much use for cleaning.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Mogorilla

I have shot my 44 Army and 36 NAvy for years, and have always used bore butter never only had rust once and it was my fault (forgot to put BB on the cylinder pin).  The guy stresses this is an extreme test.  i think it still comes down to cleaning.  My dad always taught me that when they said Cleanliness is next to Godliness, they were talking about your firearms.  Never neglect something that might save your life.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com