A salvage attempt.....

Started by Dalton Masterson, March 28, 2010, 10:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

Here is the belt I had a few months back that cracked on me after I dyed it and did not oil it. I needed to order spots, and the belt sat around for almost a month before I got back to it. First time I flexed it, pop, it cracked.

So, here it is now, after a little bit of elbow grease.

I dont like the way the holsters antiqued, and I wont be trying that technique again on them I am afraid....Shame to waste perfectly new holsters tho...

Suprisingly the belt is very strong, and the cracks are only on the surface of the belt. I showed my customer and had him test fit it. He liked it, but I still need to make him another one. If only this one fit me......
I will end up antiquing it more sometime, with wear marks, and stains, but here it is for now.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's cool. The cracks really give it character.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

GunClick Rick

Be a great mountainman belt,but it looks cool to me..
Bunch a ole scudders!

cowboywc

Howdy DM
That is a good lookin rig.
Where did the leather come from?
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny McCrae

Beautiful rig!. It has a great look to it. As Marshall Will said, the cracks give it character. I've had a few belts that have cracked on me after dyeing. One was on a rig for myself and I used it for over two years with no problems. Since I've been using home brewed Walnut Dyes and Skidmore's as the final finish, I seem to have eliminated the cracking
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Dalton Masterson

JD, I think the size is 41" or so, with room to move the billet. Of course, then it would leave holes, need more spots, etc, etc.
I could probably get into it with a little bit of adjustement or a creatively long billet. I need to add a keeper strap onto it as well.

WC, the Leather was Tandy and the rest of the hide was great. I just used an alcohol based dye, and dried it out.....accidentally of course. Now Im thinking of accidentally drying out a set of holsters so I can get them to match... ;)

DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

Dalton,
AWESOME  :o :o AWESOME :o  :o AWESOME  :o :o I am in love with the Holsters, those Holsters are exactly what I am planning on making this summer!!! Johnny and TW both sent me carving patterns like them and I plan on this summer making a attemp to make them. Wish me Luck ??? ::) ???
What did you use to dye the holsters?? The cracks in the belt don't bother me, but I think if you could make a couple of holsters that would crack like the belt did, you would have a rig that looks very Period Correct!!
First Class Work!! Keeo it up!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

41? I think I can remember when 41 fit............nope, I can't :P Darn, I would have bought that in a heart beat if it would have fit.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dalton Masterson

LOL, JD.

Ace, the holsters are cracked too, but not as much.  I used heat to do it, which made the leather hard. I do NOT recommend it.
Cant wait to see your version of these JD,
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dalton

As you know I prefer the old worn look, and you captured that with this rig, like Marshal Will said it gives this rig character. and those cracks shouldn't get too much more opened, I'm sure you rubbed in a bunch of Lexoil, and that along with Skidmores it should keep the leather in tacked, great job Dalton, thanks for sharing.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Biscuit Joe

I like the cracked look a bit. I think I'd get some junk metal or sand paper and have a lite go at the holsters and make it a really antiqued looking rig. ;D
sorta like making the best of a oops. :o

Ace Lungger

Howdy Dalton,  :)
I hope you don't mind me asking, what did you use for dye???? That color blows me away, I love it!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

It was medium brown that I dyed it with originally. Then when it cracked, I used an antique gel to go back over it and color the cracks in. I dont remember if it was mahogany, or a brown that I used.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

outrider

Dalton...looks really neat....I like the way the 49'r holsters came out.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com