Wilson's Cavalry Corp Badge

Started by knightmare, February 25, 2010, 01:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightmare

Hello fellow Spencer enthusiasts,
     I recently joined the group and want to thank you all in advance for the help you have (and will, I'm sure!) provided a novice like me. I have a relative who was in Wilder's Brigade (B Co, 123rd Illinois Infantry) and have been obsessed with it for the last 30 years or so. I will be in the market for a Spencer Rifle in the very near future -but that's a post for a later date!
     I emailed Crescent City Sutler this morning requesting info about ordering the Wilson's Cavalry Corp badge. They show them in their online catalogue but state 'not available at this time'. I requested info on prognosis and minimum order --assuming the problem is not enough demand to keep in stock. Don't know what the outcome will be, but will keep advised

Knightmare.

Two Flints

Hi knightmare,

Don't know if you've seen this on an earlier SSS post:

Appearing below is a Civil War Insignia attributed to General James H. Wilson's Cavalry Corps.  This insignia is on display at Arlington National Cemetary and is described as a "Very rare "Wilson's Cavalry" gold badge, named to General Wirt Davis" who served as an officer during the Civil War and the Indian Wars.

INSIGNIA #1

Some more interesting information about the Spencer-Wilson Insignia with insignia samples.

I was contacted - don't remember how long ago -  for information about Spencer Insignias for the purpose of making then commercially for sale by an independent dealer.  From that dealer, I received the following art work showing me how the Spencer Insignia was developing on paper, and then I guess the project just died.  Never heard from the dealer again.  This is the art work I received.

General Art Work Showing Different sides

What the final Spencer Insignia would look like

GEE :o :o :o look at all the information you received by just one post as a guest visitor ;D ;D Imagine how much more information you would get if you were a Spencer Shooting Society member ::) ::) ::)  And oh, by the way, while you're waiting to get your Spencer, why not join our Spencer Shooting Society posse ;D ;D  No obligation on your part.  If you want to join us, just register at the first thread on the first SSS page, or Email me at fsgrand2@fairpoint.net that you would like to join.  

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

knightmare

Two Flints,
     I thought I had joined the SSS! Did I screw something up (again)? Wouldn't be the first --or last-- time! I joined a few days ago, but this is my first post. Please be tolerant with me as I'm new to this sort of thing and have a lot to learn.
     Great info, thanks. I was actually posting it for you in response to your post regarding the SSS patch design. I thought that you'd said something to the effect that you really liked Wilson's Corp badge but seemed to lament that it was hard to find. The impression that I get is that most of the current SSS members are cavalry-oriented and may also be interested in a copy of Wilson's badge. That was my impression only, sorry if I misunderstood. I personally really like it, however, I'm focused more on 'mounted infantry'. Both because of the famillial link and as a former paratrooper, it is a direct forerunner of the 'Airborne' concept.
     As an aside, I really like the SSS patch and plan to get a few. Thanks for all the effort you've put in to that and the forum as well.

--Knightmare

nactorman

Dear Sirs,
  I just finished a book about the last battle of Wilson's Alabama-Georgia Campaign and have a bunch of photos of troopers. If I am not mistaken, I have a couple of images of men wearing the Wilson Corps Badge. I will go back through the images and see what I can find.
  Charles Misulia
  Nactorman
  Lumpkin, GA

Two Flints

nactorman,

Please, the name of the book and author.  Look forward to hearing from you on what you find.

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

nactorman

Hi There,
  The Book is entitled: Columbus, Georgia 1865: The Last True Battle of the Civil War by Charles Misulia (me) (University of Alabama Press: Tuscaloosa, 2010). It is a detailed account of the Battle for Columbus (Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865) and the occupation and destruction of the city following the engagement. It is not officially released until March 10, 2010, but copies are already be shipped by Amazon and some of the other online stores. You and any other Spencer Shooters who are interested are invited to attend the book's debut which is being held at The National Civil War Naval Museum (www.portcolumbus.org) on March 12, 2010 from 5:00-8:00 PM.
  All but a few hundred of Wilson's Raiders were equipped with Spencers. At the start of the campaign, Wilson had his three divisions drawn up for firing practice to see whether he had enough ammunition. The troopers were ordered to fire at targets for one (1) minute. During that minute, the troopers expended over 80,000 rounds of ammo. Needless to say more cartridges were hurried ahead to be included in the corps' train.
  I just traded some CW muskets for an Armi-sport Spencer rifle. It should be delivered in a few days. I'm so excited!  ;D  I will try to find those pics of the corps badges in the next couple of days.
  Charles Misulia
  Lumpkin, GA USA

Crossdrawnj

Two Flints

Hi Crossdrawnj,

Thanks for the link.  I sent them an Email for a better look see of the Wilson Cavalry Corps Medal.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Crossdrawnj

My pleasure Two Flints. I CW reenact and I found this site in one the many publications I get. I was going to buy one, but realized my impression, 2N NJ Volunteer Cavlary, was not part of Wilson's Corp ( I believe the 1st NJ and the 3rd, NJ were). The second had their own, but I havent found one.

One day, If  I can get the daughter to help, I post some pics of my two original and my Tayor repro. Spencer's.

Crossdrawnj

Two Flints

Hi Crossdrawnj,

I think they were the "dealer" that sent me the design idea they had for the Wilson medal posted above in this thread.  Originally, and I may be mistaken on this, their design displayed a Sharps Carbine, which I suggested was wrong, and that a Spencer would be more historically correct.  But this was several years ago, I think, and memory fades with age ::) ::)

If you have photos to post, please consider sending them to me at fsgrand2@fairpoint.net and I will post them for you.  Just send them to me as jpg attachments in an Email.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Crossdrawnj

Two Flints:
I'll see what I can do.

Crossdrawnj

Two Flints

Crossdrawnj,

I heard from Bill at CWmedals.com and he sent me the following photo of the Spencer /Wilson Cavalry Medal.

SSS members, if you would like to see Bill's complete Civil War inventory of medals and insignias, visit his web site - www.cwmedals.com.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Crossdrawnj