Excellent BP 56-50 Bullet

Started by Fox Creek Kid, May 30, 2005, 05:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Creek Kid

I have been using the Rapine model 350-T (T for Taylor's) mould which casts at .512 - .513 from WW's. It has a very long lube groove that carries enough lube for sustained BP shooting. IMHO there is NO OTHER .50 cal. 350 gr. mould that has enough lube for more than a few shots with real BP. Before I bought this mould I had a custom one made as I was desperate to have something with enough lube. I'm sure this had to be a problem as well in the 19th century, but I've never read of it. So. if you want the real experience of the 56-50 by utilizing BP under sustained shooting conditions then I heartily recommend this mould.

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy Pard,

Where did you get the mould?  Buffalo Arms is out of theirs.

Bernie
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Ed, 1st Va. Cav.

You can call Rapine directly at 1-215-679-5413.  I've found Ray to be great at getting anything I've ask him for, including some custom work.

Ed, 1st Va. Cav.
N-SSA
NRA Lifer
Ed, 1st Va. Cav.
N-SSA
NRA Lifer

Grizzle Bear

FCK, are you using straight wheelweights for your Spencer bullets?

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Fox Creek Kid

Grizzle Bear, that's a big 10 - 4 good buddy!  ;)

Grizzle Bear

Okay.  The Smith carbine bullets I was trying to use are pure lead, and with 34 grains of FFg they were stripping the rifling and going all over the place.  Dropped the load to 27 g with the bullets you gave me, and they shot fine.  Cast a few of the 350T bullets last night in the alloy I usually use for BP, 3 parts lead to 2 parts WW's.  But if straight wheelweights work good, that is great, as I have a ton (almost) of wheelweights!

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Fox Creek Kid

Griz, stripping the rifling has more to do with bullet length than anything else. I'd almost bet your problem was fouling. I've shot the Smith carbine bullets with good results but the bore fouled out rapidly as the lube capacity is pathetic, even for a 20 in. barrel & accuracy went out the window quickly. But that's history now as you have the "keys to the kingdom"  with the Rapine 350-T!!  ;D
WW's are perfect for 99% of all shooting (BP & smokeless) as long as you keep the velocity under 1200 fps.

Black River Smith

Guess I am a little daft.  I could not find the Rapine 350 bullet on Bullalo Arms site.  Could you give their catalog # or a direct link to the exact bullet.

Thanks for any additional info

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

major

The greas groves on the Smith/Maynard bullet are very small.  With my Maynard I dip the nose in MCM and that lubes my Maynard cartridges fine.  It might be worth a try with a Spencer.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Hell-Er High Water

Black River Smith,

I talked to Buffalo Arms recently and they don't seem to be handling the Rapine 350-T mould.  I then called Rapine and ordered a two cavity mould direct from them.  It is in transit now and should be here in a day or two.  They indicated that they had more in stock for immediate shipment; this was last week.  Their phone is 215/679-5413 and they will take a credit card order over the phone.  I couldn't find anyone else that handled this particular Rapine mould either.  Hope that this helps.

Hell-Er High Water

Black River Smith

Thanks for the info High Water.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

tommy4toes

another good bullet is the Romano .50 Maynard. It has a VERY generous lube groove. It casts at .518 w/20:1, which is perfect for my original with it's .516 grooves. Y'all might want to give it a try.
t4toes

Grapeshot

I just ordered Lyman's 515139 mold that they advertise on their website.  Iy appears to have two lube groves and is touted to be for the .56/50 and as a lightweight for the .50/70.  Will be interested in seeing how it will cast and how it'll shoot.  Will give a report as soon as I get some time to cast and load some up.

Checking out N.E.I. web, I think I'll be ordering their Lakota Spencer.  According to the picture on their website it has a very generous lube groove and a hollow base.  This one might take a little longer to get.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

French Jack

Just a comment here--  the Lyman 515139 bullet actually has three lube grooves.  If you are going to use BP, lube all three grooves and crimp over the ogive just in front of the front driving band.  If you are going to use smokeless (Horrors!), you can lube the two rear grooves and crimp in the front one.

Actually feeds better crimped over the ogive, though.
French Jack

Grapeshot

Thanks for the advice.  Will do tha once I mould up a batch.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Grapeshot

Lyman has my order on hold as there is an item on back order, so I ordered a batch of bullets from Buffalo Arms as well as one of their wad punches and a bag of .50 cal wads.  Maybe now I can start shooting my Spencer.

Anyone else have any experience with Buffalo Arms' .512, 300 grain Bullets?

French Jack

I did not find the 300 gr. from Buffalo Arms to be what I wanted.  They were a bit short, and did not carry enough lube for BP.  Maybe would be better with either a grease cookie or 777.
French Jack

Backstrap Bill

My experience with the Buffalo Arms 300 gr. agrees with French Jack.  I found them useful to fire form my brass to the chamber & then moved on to other bullets.
Ain't got to where I'm going, but I'm past where I been.

Tuolumne Lawman

Quote from: Black River Smith on July 05, 2005, 11:02:47 PM
Guess I am a little daft.  I could not find the Rapine 350 bullet on Bullalo Arms site.  Could you give their catalog # or a direct link to the exact bullet.

Thanks for any additional info

Black River Smith

The BAC .512/350 is almost identicle to the rapine.  I love my modified LEE I got from Daskota Widowmaker, and am selling my .512/350 BAC $65 including some Ohaus handles.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Sloan Dodgy

I've been buying 515139 bullets from MidwayUSA as I'm not set up for casting anymore.  Starline cases, 32 grains of Graf FFg compressed a bit in a separate die and the bullet seated to just cover the top driving band is highly satisfactory at 50 yards; 1-1/2 to 2" groups (sitting, not benched) right at the sights.  No lube problems, at least with a dozen or so fired at a time.  Great fun!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com