Gad Custom Cartridges

Started by Capt'n Jack, December 09, 2009, 11:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt'n Jack

Has anyone used cartridges from this company?  I have ordered 56/50 from them and wondered what others experience might have been.  Prices are good, and you get to converse with one of the true originals in this world.  Thanks, John Mcp
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Dirty Brass

I ordered some 45/75 a awhile back when I first got my '76 in that caliber. The waiting time for delivery was extensively long, and some of the shells were at best not trimmed square. Some were also shorter than others. He had mixed .348 and 50 Alaskan cases. They all functioned fine, and I trimmed them up later when reloading, but I would not rate them as very good. If you need something until you can fireform your own cases, it works, but I'd not invest a lot of $$ into his products. Too bad, 'cause his shop is up near my hunting land in Medford, WI. It was easy for me to swing by if needed (although he preferred to ship outright rather than pick up)

Pomona Pete

Really don't like to say bad things about a transaction, but I ordered a large number of heeled .38's from GAD and had to call four or five times to get him to ship them.  After I got them they were not of very good quality and were actually too long to satisfy the correct cartridge length.  I finally melted them down and recast them.  I was not at all satisfied with the service.  He might have been having a bad week or something.????????????
Make sure to shoot low every few rounds just in case they're crawling.

Capt'n Jack

Order placed and CC hit on 12-8.  (the point of this update is purely informational, not judgmental, to help others make decisions in the purchase of ammo)

In response to inquiry of 12-18 as to shipping date "received brass today will have to cast bullets way behind 1-2 weeks"  

In response to inquire of 1-2 as to shipping date "will start casting bullets this week there are other orders ahead of you hopefully next week 10 below zreo this morning all i can do is cast bullets next week just to much work"

When next CC payment goes in I will contest the charges unless I have a shipping date and a tracking number.  And so I did.  

In response to this action on 1-15-10  "RECEIVED CHARGE BACK WAS GOING TO SHIP AT LEAST I GOT IT BEFORE SHIPMENT thanks a pot
bernold nelson"

My response was "Bernold, you stated two weeks as your promised delivery time three different times.   I contested the charges due to the long delays and the fact that there is a limit on how long one can wait before contesting a non-delivery.  (In fact, there are federal laws governing this type of exchange that require the shipper to state if delivery will be longer then 30 days from the date of the order, and keep the customer informed if there are additional delays)

I instructed VISA that I was only preserving my rights (to challange the charges in case of non-delivery) and that you may re-enter the charge when you finally got product ready to ship.  I still leave that choice to you, if you have the complete order ready to ship, simply re-enter the charge and ship.  However, if it is going to be a couple of more weeks then...  I really do not understand what you expect me to do.

Yours, John McPherson"

response of 1-17  "IF YOU LOOK AT THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY THEY ISSUE A CHARGEBACK ONE TIME I RECEVED A CHARGEBACK AFTER ORDER WAS SHIPPED NEVER GOT MY MONEY WILL SHIP TOMORROW AM CASTING BULLETS NOW
BERNOLDNELSON"

My response of 1-17 "Thank you"  My CC company shows he has again charged my card and added $2.50 for some reason.  Still waiting for anything to arrive.  Nothing as of 1-21

1-22  Bullets and loaded cases arrive.  Bullets show mold lines from mold blocks being misaligned.  Seated bullets show imprint of seating punch of the wrong size/style.  Decided the loaded cases needed to be tumbled to remove lube before using.  At least the count seems to be correct.  Lube used in bullets appears to be soap.  Nothing like any lubes I have ever used.  Will try cycling some Saturday.

I hope he sees the light but I rather expect nothing to come of this order.  Too bad, he could be offering a valuable service and product.

This guy is an original but that does not excuse the lack of progress.  Will edit this post to keep you informed.
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Dirty Brass

Yeah - looks like his methods haven't changed as far as production and delivery. I'm guessing he's an older fella with no modern equipment and just a slow mover. As a matter of fact, I recall him telling me he had to go to the library to check and answer emails because he had no computer at home (his shop). Dunno if he works out of a pole shed with no heat, but it IS cold up in NC Wisconsin right about now (brrrr)

.56/50 Iron

Howdy!  I can tell you for a fact it is cold up here east of Hayward, Wisconsin! Hit 23 degrees below zero last night. From what I recall, this guy is iperating south of my location. If he's working at casting bullets out in a pole barn that is not heated he's nuts!
     Anyway, good luck in getting your order! It can get to be very aggravating, especially if your charge card was hit some time ago!
.56/50 Iron

Capt'n Jack

"I recall him telling me he had to go to the library to check and answer emails because he had no computer at home"

Funny how one can forgo the computer at home and still find a way to hit your VISA card within a day.  He has been responding to my followups very quickly so I expect that he now has computer access at home.   Since we have passed 30 days since the billing, I will contest the charges with my CC company to protect my rights (one has a limited amount of time to do so).  He will have to wait until shipping to rebill me.  This is not a punitive action but rather me reserving my rights in this transaction.

Dirty Brass

That is very possible. My last dealings with him were about 1 1/2  years ago....

I don't blame you for taking precautions  ;)

Capt'n Jack

Last followup.  Got cartridges and finally today had a chance to shoot the gun.  Good news first.  The rifle preforms flawlessly, feeding without problem and me left handed.  The cartridges fed fine.  However, they seem to be loaded quite lightly (I understand the powder is Trail Boss but I do not know how much), almost no recoil and a long wait from bang to the bullet hitting the 50 yard target.  No accuracy at all, could not get a group of any kind, in fact could not get three consecutive bullets on target. and finally gave up.  I shot my 50/70 Sharps carbine at the same targets, and got a 3 inch group without any problem.  The sights on both guns are identical, and almost impossible to see.  My conclusion, skip the seemingly good price, avoid the delays and excuses and order a set of dies and molds of your own.

General Lee

I have had good luck with GAD after he changed bullet style for Spencer 56-50, feed, chamber, and shoot pretty good.  Ordered 100 cartridges.  Long wait for order.
General Lee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com