Shot shell pouch patterns

Started by Slowhand Bob, November 02, 2009, 02:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

These are some patterns in process for shot shell pouches, as used on belts or slides.  Not much to look at but they are quick and easy to make with no sewing.  (I prefer the splash rivets for this, but hide the backs as they are the uggerliest of all)  I will add more to the process, including photos, over the next few days.  The reason for multiple versions of the patterns is that, it was/is a work in progress.

Just a bit of info, the top photo has the orriginal demensions I settled on and though they seem to be a bit tight with 6/7 or even more so 7/8oz leathers I like this fit when the pouch is so minimal anyway.  In the scanned photos you can even see where I later added a push-up hole to the bottom, for the gamers to make their shells high and loose right before the buzzer.  In the photo I added black dye to show the area that I glued on many of the early ones.  If you get those rivet holes juuust right, glue will not be necessary.

On the scan you can see three of the major changes that the original cup went through, with the top being most recent and the middle being the oldest.  Right now I prefer the full cup of the bottom version for several reasons but do hope to eventually improve the middle ones fit and appearance as it is the easiest/fastest style to work with and time is money for you working guys.  The next version, growing from the middle one, will use a longer tail passing through a slot before riveting.  In practice the plain old GEORGIA TECH "T", which forms a full cup to be attached, actually adds another thickness of stand out/clearance for the shells.

I have taken photos of these on some various projects and just need to size them for insertion.    

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Bob

Looks like you have another good project in the fire, can't wait to see how this is going to turn out. :D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

Slowhand , thats my kind of project. I Love figuring out how to make things foldup or figuring out what they are going to look like when they are ;)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

JD Alan

Thanks Bob, this is what I've been waiting for! I appreciate you sharing this pattern
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Slowhand Bob

These are two applications of the first type pouch.  The first one is a deep snap-on slide that carries two pair of shells in tandem with two pair of cartridges.  Since this was made as a loaner/demo I used 38 and 45 cartridge loops, reloads are not tat common anymore.  The second version is pretty much the same double pouches but on a basic snap-on slide.  They are neat, simple and work pretty well.

Slowhand Bob

The last slide is in bad need of more work but I think can be the quickest/easiest of all to construct with just  bit more design work.  The slide straps I used on these doubles were 2 1/2" wide belt remnants, the straps were ordered pre-cut so there were always plenty for badge holders, etc.

Finally there is a shot shell belt, made with pouches and loops on a 2" wide strap tapering to 1 1/2" buckle/billet ends.  This one will hold twelve shells as doubles and six as singles in pairs.  If you look close you can tell that it has not been lined yet but will eventually get a black suede liner.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's such a simple and effective design, Bob. I see you could either rivet (as you did) or sew those on. The tucked up bottom will set the shells out slightly so they don't drag against the belt. I like the hole so you can push the shells up if you want. Very cool.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice Bob, My thoughts echo what Marshal Will just said, well done , and thanks for sharing.

Regards

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

Howdy Bob,
Great looking shell holders! Those are well made, and you have put on a lot of time designing those!! Thanks for sharing those with us, that gives me some great idea's.
Thanks again!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Slowhand Bob

I tweeked my last pouch pattern and started a new project with it.  In the end this will be somewhat a modular Shot shell belt.  The first section pictured here is the billet end and the next one will be just like it but with the buckle.  They will be connected by a center section, that determines overall size length, and this center can carry a variety of optional munitions retention loops/pouches which would be, in part, depenent on waist size.  I like this idea as it uses some of the left over belt strap ends.

I am hoping that the pouch patterns will print out actual size for you with the slot and rivet hole pattern below it for the base leather mount(belts, slides, etc).  The pouches are made from 6/7oz leather and I always mount to 8/9oz or heavier base leather.  First step in assembly is to pass the pouches round tag end through the 1 1/2" slot in the belt/slide and put rivet in from the top side.  I found that they assemble better if I rivet the side holes in a top/bottom order on each side.  When punching the pouch pattern I like to punch into the two inner corners, as depicted, to get a bit of extra relief.  I do not wet mold these but I see many commercial versions that are and it looks good, so that is up to you.  If I have left anything out let me know and I hope you like this little project.  SHB

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Looks good Bob, you're very good with making patterns, this is a nice idea, in that it is user easy, and one could add a few of these without any trouble to an existing gun belt or make one like yours, just by using the easy rivets, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and patterns with all of us, I know it's appreciated my all.

Regards

JD Alan

Great timing Bob. After this coming Sunday it looks like I'm going to finally have some time to get out in the shop, and I am itching to try to build a shotgun belt. I really appreciate you sharing your pattern ideas with all of us.

Slowhand Bob

We are rapidly getting into my crazy time of the year (bet you know what I mean JD) and time is starting to become more precious than usual.  I plan to put several simple patterns up after the first of the year, sort of my scrap leather projects.  Those projects built around 2 1/2" or 3" belt end scraps have always been a favorite for slides to hold badges, spare cartridges, etc.  I think slides are a great way to introduce SASS shooters, that are interested, to leather work.  For the beginner slides require little material, almost no outlay for tooling and simple construction, while returning very handy shooting line accessories.  They are great spare time items for the small professional to make, as they use up the smaller pieces of leather cut-off and offer extra income for thet otherwise wasted material.  Here is another good idea, if you are trying to build up a relationship with a local group of shooters, use these small projects as fund raisers (drawings) for their local club. 

JD Alan

If anyone has tried any of these patterns I would like to talk to you. I thought the one with the tab through to the back would be the easiest to do, but after trying it, I'm not so sure.

Bob very graciously sent me a sample of one pouch mounted as a slide quite a while before he posted this thread. I can tell you he does really nice work!

I think this is a cool way to build a shotgun belt, but I would enjoy talking with anyone who has tried it. Thanks, JD 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com